all my eggs in one basket!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epalacios

SCO Class of 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty stoked! Just got an email stating my application is verified and being sent off to my program. I am only applying to SCO (since I have family in Memphis, and would really appreciate the break in living expenses!)

I am in my early 30's with an undergraduate degree in Business, and completed all the required prerequisites recently. Total GPA 3.39, but my more recent optometry prerequisite coursework is much higher than my business undergrad coursework from ten years ago.

Sitting for the OAT October 1, and I hope I will be competitive enough to get an interview at SCO! I'm pretty sure that if I can get an interview, I can sell myself as a good candidate. I have about five years of optometry office experience as a licensed optician, and nine years of retail management experience.

Are there any other folks out there with a business management background besides me?

Members don't see this ad.

I was glad to read this, and ready for the responses. I'm a business major myself, and I'm planning on fulfilling the pre-req's versus getting a degree in bio/chem. I'm also going to be 30 when applying to op school (27 now), and plan on applying to SCO exclusively. Didn't add anything of value to the OP, but just wanted to say "I'm right there with ya!"

I have my BBA in finance and investments and I am starting my first year this month! I think it gives you an advantage as a well rounded candidate.

Good Luck!!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my BBA in finance and investments and I am starting my first year this month! I think it gives you an advantage as a well rounded candidate.

Good Luck!!:D

How did your GPA/OAT look? Any advice on interviewing as a business guy vs being a science nerd? (no offense to the science nerds, of course!)

My OATs were most definitely not impressive. My science gpa was around a 3.8, while my major gpa was around a 3.1. I think my LORs and interview really solidified my application. I was able to present who I was and what I can contribute to the field. I was really lucky to get an interviewer that was more into having a conversation vs. reading and answering questions off a sheet. Also by being a business major, it kinda demonstrates some capability of being able to successfully run your own practice one day, not saying a science major cannot. Suggestion: Schools want to see that you know what you are getting into, shadow shadow shadow. Also Research is a super too!

My OATs were most definitely not impressive. My science gpa was around a 3.8, while my major gpa was around a 3.1. I think my LORs and interview really solidified my application. I was able to present who I was and what I can contribute to the field. I was really lucky to get an interviewer that was more into having a conversation vs. reading and answering questions off a sheet. Also by being a business major, it kinda demonstrates some capability of being able to successfully run your own practice one day, not saying a science major cannot. Suggestion: Schools want to see that you know what you are getting into, shadow shadow shadow. Also Research is a super too!

I have the experience/shadowing thing down, since I am a licensed optician and I manage a vision center. In terms of research, my biochemistry term paper topic was on keratoconus. My biggest fear is not getting a competitive OAT score!

Hi there - I'm about to start my 2nd year at PUCO. I earned my BS in Business Admin in '05. I was a licensed optician for 20 years prior to entering. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

If you can sit fog the oat before October, I would. You have to wait 90 days between testing sessions. If you don't like your October test date you can't retest until at least january 1. If you are prepared, take it mid September or so and those few weeks could make a difference. Also make a Point to emphasize your optician and business skills. Good luck!!