All-Nighters for Memory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GapLustrum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nuke thread

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just don't. Sleep is so much more helpful than that extra hour of review.
(And i need to take my own advice. All-nighters in med school = death)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
SleepMemory410.jpg

sleep is critical to doing well in class. good quality sleep (at least 7-8 hours) is strongly recommended

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in a similar situation. Paper tomorrow, mid term on Wed, quiz on Thurs, mid term on Friday. IMO DONT pull an all nighter the day of but 2-3 days in advance of an exam if you REALLY need to, you should be okay.

PS Try to avoid all nighters of studying for Bio/equiv/memorization. That's a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't pull all nighters. But I find it effective to wake up the day of the exam at like 5am, and study from like 6am until the exam time (usually 8:30).

Almost every time I think to myself "wow, I got like 4-6 points just from that session!"

Reactions: 8 users
The research goes against this being helpful but I almost always slept for only a couple of hours before a huge test in undergrad.

I was always too anxious to sleep before big tests.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The only exam I've failed in med school is the one I pulled an all-nighter for. It's never worth it.

I don't pull all nighters. But I find it effective to wake up the day of the exam at like 5am, and study from like 6am until the exam time (usually 8:30).

Almost every time I think to myself "wow, I got like 4-6 points just from that session!"

This is a golden tactic. I love it haha

My strategy since undergrad, works every time.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm in a similar situation. Paper tomorrow, mid term on Wed, quiz on Thurs, mid term on Friday. IMO DONT pull an all nighter the day of but 2-3 days in advance of an exam if you REALLY need to, you should be okay.

PS Try to avoid all nighters of studying for Bio/equiv/memorization. That's a recipe for disaster.
The research shows you may cover more material, but you'll retain less aggregate information from all-night study sessions. People "feel" like they learn more because the remember facts from more areas, but the gaps in memory are so large that your time would have better been spent focusing on a high-yield portion of what you half-assed by pulling an all-nighter.

Part of my problem with all-nighters is I almost have a compulsion to get certain things studied. It makes it hard to sleep, but I think if I got a handle on everything earlier in the week before a test, this would be as big of an issue.

The only exam I've failed in med school is the one I pulled an all-nighter for. It's never worth it.
You probably only pulled an all-nighter because you were going to fail anyways :p

How do you prepare for exams/tests? What techniques do you use to memorize information?

I've had 3 all-nighters in 3.5+ years of undergrad so far. They were all from parties.

All nighters are no bueno for studying.
I started reading this and thought " wow what a good student" and then read " they were all from parties"

pppffftt hahahahah

Just don't. Sleep is so much more helpful than that extra hour of review.
(And i need to take my own advice. All-nighters in med school = death)

So I heard you like death? So why don't you study about death while you're dying! Me studying pathology while pulling all nighters.

Most questions require accurate reading comprehension, and that flies out the window for me when I stay up to cram more knowledge in.

I really, really try to avoid it. I am NOT a morning person and have a really hard time waking up or sleeping through alarms. I'm always so nervous that if I tried to do an all nighter, I would eventually crash and then completely miss the exam I tried to cram all night for.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile