ALL nighters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

12345a

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never had to pull one and i hear dental students (and undergrad) complaining all the time about how they never sleep...work through the entire night...day blah blah blah

have I just not been challenged enough in my undergrad?
how helpful are all nighters?
Do most students study all night at least once?

Members don't see this ad.

i cant believe u have never done this. Come exam week i usually have to do it. i guess what works for u is what works for u. My friend @ ucla dent school's typical day is class until late afternoon and study all night and he still has to study a lot whe exams come around

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you just make the extra effort to work ahead so you can guarantee a full-night's sleep every night? Or have you just never had enough work to have to do an all-nighter?

Sleep is great.

My all-nighters have been a result of procrastination. I hate writing classes. When I have to write a paper, I can only do it the night before. I don't know what's wrong with me. For some reason, I can never start papers ahead of time.

But I've never spent an all-nighter studying. IMO, it's a waste of time. There's no point in studying all night if you're too sleepy to think the next day.

I, too, have NEVER pulled an all nighter. I just DO NOT understand why people even have to do that!.. I would not be productive studying through the night feeling so tired. It just doesn't make any sense to me, but I guess different things work for different people.

I've never had to pull one and i hear dental students (and undergrad) complaining all the time about how they never sleep...work through the entire night...day blah blah blah

Oops. Didn't mean to post it twice!

Last edited:
I personally never have done an all nighter. I personally study throughout the semester. I tend to rewrite notes I make in class so they'll be easier to read and have more detail so these notes have everything I'll need. When exam times comes around, I don't ever look at the text book or the notes I written in class. I just read the new, rewritten notes I made a few times and the exams go just fine.

Of course this doesn't work for every kind of class, but you get the picture. Just study throughout the semester and give yourself something to review when exams are coming.

i've pulled 2 all nighters in college - both were for writing papers freshman year. i cried the second time because i remembered how bad the first time was. i was also experiencing all those dangers they tell you about too much caffeine. i haven't pulled one since.

one of my friends, however, pulls all nighters the night before an exam because that's the only way he remembers everything for the next morning. i know i'd be a zombie.

I have pulled countless all nighters. I remember things pretty well that way as I feel have a good short term memory-especially when it comes to visualizing my notes during a test. We are on quarters and so we have 3 final weeks. In total I would say I pull one per class*3-4 classes per quarter*3 quarters per year=9-12 all nighters/year. I am quite use to them.

never pulled an all nighter... only time I felt I had to was for my physics final.. I fell asleep by midnight and managed to get an A+ in the class. I normally worry about hard exams weeks before they are approaching, so it's safe to say I don't procrastinate. Hopefully I will be smart with my time management in dental school as well...but who knows.

My all-nighters have been a result of procrastination. I hate writing classes. When I have to write a paper, I can only do it the night before. I don't know what's wrong with me. For some reason, I can never start papers ahead of time.

But I've never spent an all-nighter studying. IMO, it's a waste of time. There's no point in studying all night if you're too sleepy to think the next day.

How long did it take you to write that essay on your pre-dents account? ;);)

Members don't see this ad :)
pulling an all nighter tonight and have done plenty but thats only because I dont start studying or reading any of the chapters untill around now or even later sometimes not till 1am just being lazy. But I have plenty of free time to go out 4 times a week and still do better than most people in my classes so thats why I pull all nighters

ive pulled some all nighters in my day, my question to those who do is this: What are your techniques for recovering afterwards? I always end up taking a 3-4 hour nap the afternoon afterwards.

I have pulled many an all-nighter. They are actually surprisingly fun when with friends. I always feel closer with my buddies when we're leaving the library at 8 AM on our way to our first classes. Sometimes we'll order all kinds of junk food (pizza, chicken wings, cheesesteaks) at like 3-4 AM, it's great haha.

ive pulled some all nighters in my day, my question to those who do is this: What are your techniques for recovering afterwards? I always end up taking a 3-4 hour nap the afternoon afterwards.

pull all nighter. take test. sleep all day. wake up at night and stay up until the next night and sleep early. then my sleep schedule doesnt get messed up, cept for one night

I pulled quite a few in undergrad, but so far in dental school I've only tried an all-nighter once for an exam the next morning. That was the only exam I've failed so far. I was just falling asleep during the exam! Pretty worthless. I've found what works for me is to study until 12-2am, sleep at least 4 hrs and get up early to review everything I've studied right before the test. Of course, this isn't as effective as studying the material for 2-3 hrs/night so you don't have to cram, but where's the fun in that?

I pulled some all nighters my freshman year. When my second year came around, something had changed -- I was no longer able to function after 12am. I could be awake but I couldn't function.... and I also couldn't remember anything, especially what I said during phone calls or even at all (equivalent to being drunk, really). So now I do not pull all nighters... I think my first year of doing it short-circuited something.

I pulled all-nighters all the time. I find I'm able to study through the night for tests with very little loss in productivity beyond feeling like garbage, and cramming is my study method of choice. I also am a very heavy sleeper and sleep through alarms very easily, so I don't trust myself to set an alarm for 4 hours and wake up to it. I do not plan on being this way in dental school, as consistent studying i think is better for your health, grades, and retention.

i was also experiencing all those dangers they tell you about too much caffeine. i haven't pulled one since.

taking too much caffeine is a great way to stay up. the alerting effect of caffeine doesn't do anything after a while but the jitters always keep you up.

I am literally the SAME way when it comes to writing papers. I procrastinate studying for tests too much also...but, I've never done an all-nighter, I just love sleep too much. I have however done many study-til-4AM-then-sleep-for-a-few-hours-ers. I have a feeling I really need to get my study habits in check before dschool. :(

I am literally the SAME way when it comes to writing papers. I procrastinate studying for tests too much also...but, I've never done an all-nighter, I just love sleep too much. I have however done many study-til-4AM-then-sleep-for-a-few-hours-ers. I have a feeling I really need to get my study habits in check before dschool. :(

That's me too. I'm procrastinating on 2 papers right now! Both are due in 2 weeks, I've barely started either. One isn't too bad - the other is a massive 30-paged research paper :scared:

Writing is not natural for me. Luckily my high school did a GREAT job of teaching me how to write, so I do get good grades on papers. It just takes a lot of work and a lot of time. I always know what I want to say, but somehow trying to take my thoughts and write them out is such an agonizing process for me. So I just put off writing until the last minute.

I work best under pressure, so I have a hard time studying in advance when I'm feeling relaxed and not stressed about a test. Of course, it always comes back to bite me because then I'll have too many tests and papers all at once with not enough time to do them all, and then I freak out until I get overwhelmed and just stop caring. I really need to work on that for dental school.

I can't pull all-nighters either. I always try to, but my body won't let me. I the latest I ever stayed up before a test was 4-5am, but I have to crash for a couple hours at least.

Dont what undergrad school you were in. But in Berkeley pulling an all nighter is very common. I do it all the time during finals. I have to be honest that I do procrastinate.

I do not plan on being this way in dental school, as consistent studying i think is better for your health, grades, and retention.

I have a feeling I really need to get my study habits in check before dschool. :(

Good luck changing your undergrad habits for dental school. For the most part, you will study the same way. Instead of procrastinating for 2 exams it will be 4-5. I always tell myself I'll study more, won't wait till the last minute, etc. It almost never works.

Although, I am married with a kid. Maybe you single people out there will have more luck changing your old habits.

I have done all-nighters in undergrad before...they are fun! I love them because it pushes your limits lol. By the way when I say all-nighters I mean no sleep at all until after the end of the next day! I was able to get an A in the class so it worked for me lol...

I however share your view that undergrad may not be as challenging as D-School will be...

I'm quite the procrastinator and have never pulled an all nighter in all of undergrad....whether I should have or not is a different story but I never have and still seem to get pretty good grades. I would rather study for 6-7 hours during the day, go to sleep by midnight and wake up really early if I have a big exam the next day. My sleep is more important than any exam :)