ALL pre-reqs online (UNE)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruedi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 30, no formal science background. I have a BA (psychology, health care inequalities) 3.89; and MA (Sociology) 3.9

I have professional experience in Clinical research coordination and in mental health services (direct services and treatment plan management; worked under supervision of a DO psychiatrist)

This month, I am starting a PhD in Health Sciences in England with a prestigious research grant that had a very competitive application process. I will be working under this grant for the next 3 years, during which I hope to complete the pre-requisites required for medical school.

While in England doing my PhD research, I am planning on taking the needed pre-reqs online through UNE. I can also take on-site lab courses such as biochemistry and molecular biology, but unfortunately the US-specific lab prerequisites are not available.

I have read that online pre-requisites are not ideal, but I am wondering if with a strong academic history and the completion of some on site elective science courses + labs, this might not disqualify me from some of the programs that are on the fence about online coursework.

I have not started the fellowship yet, and a part of me is wondering if I am being foolish by prioritizing this over just staying in the states, working in clinical research, and doing the lab work in person at an American uni. (I live in the bay area and could do the Berkeley extension courses, for instance). But I do feel passionately about the research for the fellowship and do feel that this would ultimately make me a better physician.

I plan to sit for the MCAT in 2021 and apply in the 2022 cycle, when finished with my PhD.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Copied and pasted this from my response to this same question in another thread:

You need to call your target schools and check. Online prerequisites are simply not accepted at many medical schools. Other programs may or may not be willing to give you leeway for living abroad.

If your goal is to get into medical school, your best course of action is to take your prerequisites in person at a 4 year university. These prerequisites will be acceptable for all medical schools.

Reactions: 1 user