All the Nigerian premeds and med students, get in here!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi friends! Really happy to find this thread, lol it seems like Nigerians are everywhere in everything and I LOVE IT
I'm a Yoruba from Texas but currently in Missouri for undergrad not super familiar with Yoruba culture (guess my parents forgot to teach me when I was coming up..?) so I don't know the language, but I am kinda familiar with food and clothes.
It makes me smile to see all this Nigerian excellence in this thread!! O.T.I. (also funny story your username is the same as one of my friend's last names haha) January went kinda well. I'm graduating in May and applying for schools in June so I've been kinda mostly stressing about that (making a school list, working on my PS) But what I really need to be stressing about is these classes and finding a J-O-B for this gap year...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi friends! Really happy to find this thread, lol it seems like Nigerians are everywhere in everything and I LOVE IT
I'm a Yoruba from Texas but currently in Missouri for undergrad not super familiar with Yoruba culture (guess my parents forgot to teach me when I was coming up..?) so I don't know the language, but I am kinda familiar with food and clothes.
It makes me smile to see all this Nigerian excellence in this thread!!
@o.t. I (also funny story your username is the same as one of my friend's last names haha) January went kinda well. I'm graduating in May and applying for schools in June so I've been kinda mostly stressing about that (making a school list, working on my PS) But what I really need to be stressing about is these classes and finding a J-O-B for this gap year...
Welcome aboard @Luftwaffle ! How's senior year (or senioritis) treating you? Where is TX are you from? Many people apply for research positions at BCM or UTHealth or MDAnderson if you're in Houston. What are you interested in?

Also, if you need any questions about the process, we can always discuss on here!

Reactions: 1 user
1. Senior year is going well, things were slow at the start and still kinda are cause I'm only in 12 credits. I've applied for a couple of things at UT Health, and I think I'll be looking at all of the other institutions in Houston (hometown)
2. I'm from Houston! I really need to visit Austin and Dallas though, they seem like cool cities
3.I'm pretty much looking at Research Assistant positions, probably part time cause I'm gonna be taking some science courses for sGPA repair during the gap year, though I'm applying anyway cause I don't think I can stand to be at home for more than a year during this gap year lol (ya'll know how it is, we aren't adults to Naija parents till we have a job and our own house lol)
Doing the sGPA repair cause mine is currently sub 3.0 but even with 9 credits of science As (which I am DETERMINED) to get this semester I'm still stuck in 2 land

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Senior year is going well, things were slow at the start and still kinda are cause I'm only in 12 credits. I've applied for a couple of things at UT Health, and I think I'll be looking at all of the other institutions in Houston (hometown)
2. I'm from Houston! I really need to visit Austin and Dallas though, they seem like cool cities
3.I'm pretty much looking at Research Assistant positions, probably part time cause I'm gonna be taking some science courses for sGPA repair during the gap year, though I'm applying anyway cause I don't think I can stand to be at home for more than a year during this gap year lol (ya'll know how it is, we aren't adults to Naija parents till we have a job and our own house lol)
Doing the sGPA repair cause mine is currently sub 3.0 but even with 9 credits of science As (which I am DETERMINED) to get this semester I'm still stuck in 2 land
Sounds good! Let me know if you need anything; I'm from Houston too!

Also Nigerian...Igbo.

Applying in an upcoming cycle...interested in psychiatry (especially psychoanalysis, forensic psychiatry, and addiction psychiatry), sleep medicine, and sports medicine.

So many stereotypes in this thread confirmed, haha. Naija no de carry last oooo...

Reactions: 3 users
Also Nigerian...Igbo.

Applying in an upcoming cycle...interested in psychiatry (especially psychoanalysis, forensic psychiatry, and addiction psychiatry), sleep medicine, and sports medicine.

So many stereotypes in this thread confirmed, haha. Naija no de carry last oooo...
Lol, welcome aboard ooo.

Is there anyone in here who took a couple gap years/ is taking a couple gap years to bolster their GPAs (cumulative and science) for an application? If so lemme know cause I got some questions for you

Is there anyone in here who took a couple gap years/ is taking a couple gap years to bolster their GPAs (cumulative and science) for an application? If so lemme know cause I got some questions for you

I'm doing an SMP (for GPA repair), but I'm not too sure that's what you're looking for. You're probably looking for someone that's done a postbacc to improve their undergrad GPA. For clarity, they're two different things.

Tbh either works, I'm trying to assess my options

Poll question:

How many times have you used being from Nigeria or Africa in general in an essay?

Poll question:

How many times have you used being from Nigeria or Africa in general in an essay?

Tbh I have not used it much if at all in the last 2-3 years. When I was a freshman I talked about it a lot but now as I am wrapping up college I have other experiences which have shaped me more and that are more recent so I use those. I also moved from Nigeria when I was 5 so it didn’t have a huge impact on my life.

Hi all!!
Yoruba girl here (Whoop whoop).
Glad to have found this thread.
I'm a non-traditional student. Currently an NP (Primary care/Internal Med), making the switch to MD (I can imagine my father right now if I told him "Ehn hen, Didn't I tell you before?").
Planning to take Biochem this summer, MCAT in Sept/Jan 2019, then apply.

Excited to be on the journey (even though I'm at the very beginning).

Anyone have any issues with self-doubt?
I've always thought to myself that with all the pushing my parents did, why would I doubt myself or my abilities? But then I feel its just that... Too much pushing???

Thoughts?!!

Anyway,
Congrats to everyone and good luck.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi all!!
I'm a non-traditional student. Currently an NP (Primary care/Internal Med), making the switch to MD (I can imagine my father right now if I told him "Ehn hen, Didn't I tell you before?").

I've always thought to myself that with all the pushing my parents did, why would I doubt myself or my abilities? But then I feel its just that... Too much pushing???

Thoughts?!!

Anyway,
Aaaayyyy. Welcome aboard!

The one thing I will say is that sometimes that self-doubt never goes away. At every step I've felt it; even now I feel it. Personally, I continue to try to rest more in what God can do than in what I can do because that's the only reason I've been able to move forward (especially when things go awry from how I planned them). What exactly are you feeling doubt about? I'm sure many of us can speak to specific areas!

Members don't see this ad :)
Aaaayyyy. Welcome aboard!

The one thing I will say is that sometimes that self-doubt never goes away. At every step I've felt it; even now I feel it. Personally, I continue to try to rest more in what God can do than in what I can do because that's the only reason I've been able to move forward (especially when things go awry from how I planned them). What exactly are you feeling doubt about? I'm sure many of us can speak to specific areas!

Thank you!!!
Nothing specific (I think)... Just the run of the mill "Not smart enough"... It definitely comes through as a clinician sometimes... Like, if I'm looking for a new job, going though the list and disqualifying myself even though I may qualify.
Precepting a student this past year helped me realize I know more and I'm a better clinician than I give myself credit for.

Trying to push away the self-doubt as I start this pre-med journey... Making sure I don't sell myself short

Thank you!!!
Nothing specific (I think)... Just the run of the mill "Not smart enough"... It definitely comes through as a clinician sometimes... Like, if I'm looking for a new job, going though the list and disqualifying myself even though I may qualify.
Precepting a student this past year helped me realize I know more and I'm a better clinician than I give myself credit for.

Trying to push away the self-doubt as I start this pre-med journey... Making sure I don't sell myself short
You will definitely get that encouragement in med school. I have a lot of classmates who came in with prior experience as nurses, EMTs, etc. and there are things that come easy to them (both to learn and to teach others like me who didn't have such experiences). Definitely don't sell yourself short. It is hard, but I believe that everyone's experiences have shaped them to be who they are, and (most times) it's for the better. Definitely allow the talents and experiences you've brought to this med school journey speak to for you in essays, interviews, etc. Med schools want a unique person who has something new to bring to the table; as long as you're you, you qualify!

Hi all!!

Thoughts?!!

Anyway,
Haha. Hang in there, you’re not alone. I feel your pain. ICU RN here for almost 4 years. Benin boy from Edo. Taking the MCAT in 5 weeks. Just wants to say you’ll be fine. I used to think I wasn’t smart enough till I started this journey, went back to school and complete the prereqs while working those gruesome 12hrs shifts. Make sure you take biochem, chew it, and feeds it via NG tube in your system. It would save your ass come MCAT studying like it’s doing for me now. Reduced your work hours if you can. I was working just weekends to meet up to class. But hey if you study hard I’ll meet on the medical side. We all got this. Let me hop off to studying. Goodluck!

Reactions: 2 users
Haha. Hang in there, you’re not alone. I feel your pain. ICU RN here for almost 4 years. Benin boy from Edo. Taking the MCAT in 5 weeks. Just wants to say you’ll be fine. I used to think I wasn’t smart enough till I started this journey, went back to school and complete the prereqs while working those gruesome 12hrs shifts. Make sure you take biochem, chew it, and feeds it via NG tube in your system. It would save your ass come MCAT studying like it’s doing for me now. Reduced your work hours if you can. I was working just weekends to meet up to class. But hey if you study hard I’ll meet on the medical side. We all got this. Let me hop off to studying. Goodluck!

Thank you!!!
Good luck!

Happy to have found this thread my people o! Yoruba boy here. Taking the MCAT in August. Let's invade medical schools with our brilliancy and show all that we never carry last o. Shalom!

Happy to have found this thread my people o! Yoruba boy here. Taking the MCAT in August. Let's invade medical schools with our brilliancy and show all that we never carry last o. Shalom!
Yes ooo. Welcome!

I’m doing a postbac at the NIH for my gap year and apparently there are a lot of Nigerians in the DMV (D.C/Maryland/Virginia) area.

Can anyone speak from experience? Lol

I’m doing a postbac at the NIH for my gap year and apparently there are a lot of Nigerians in the DMV (D.C/Maryland/Virginia) area.

Can anyone speak from experience? Lol

Yeah, there are bare Nigerians in the DMV, lol.

Yeah, there are bare Nigerians in the DMV, lol.
Did you mean to say bunch? Lol

Also do they have legit Nigerian restaurants there if so my gap year just got 10 roles better. I’m trying to get that authentic pounded yam and suya :D

Also do they have legit Nigerian restaurants there if so my gap year just got 10 roles better. I’m trying to get that authentic pounded yam and suya :D

Lol, no. Bare means a lot of. I honestly don't know. Haven't explored. But I feel you, lol.

I know a great suya place in Atlanta. Oh, but wait, you're not here. :D

I know a great suya place in Atlanta. Oh, but wait, you're not here. :D

I was in Atlanta for a couple days for one of my internships so I might have gone to the place! :p

Hello everyone! Hausa man here checking in! Glad to find this thread!
I'm a pre-med, non-traditional student, applying this coming cycle (2018-2019)!

Hello everyone! Hausa man here checking in! Glad to find this thread!
I'm a pre-med, non-traditional student, applying this coming cycle (2018-2019)!
Sannu da zuwa! I grew up (for a little bit) in Plateau State! I pray your cycle goes well!

Sannu da zuwa! I grew up (for a little bit) in Plateau State! I pray your cycle goes well!
Sai godiya! You be J-town guy be that lol. Thank you!

Omo yoruba here!! Aspiring Pediatrician :clap: Not very many Nigerians in my college town or hometown, so hoping to go to med school in a city with a large African community.

I just have to say that it is amazing to witness so many of you guys being able to relate in a way that many of us AA's are not. My wife and I always talk about how great it would be if there was a stereotype of AA parents promoting education and career success to their children. It's not that it never happens, but there certainly seems to be a much smaller group of AA's who can laugh about how similar their parents are in terms of an education-first agenda. We're trying to create this environment for our children and I know that a lot of my peer group are as well, but we did not grow up that way. It's refreshing to observe these conversations and I am enjoying it thoroughly. Thank you all for sharing so openly!

Reactions: 9 users
Omo yoruba here!! Aspiring Pediatrician :clap: Not very many Nigerians in my college town or hometown, so hoping to go to med school in a city with a large African community.

I just have to say that it is amazing to witness so many of you guys being able to relate in a way that many of us AA's are not. My wife and I always talk about how great it would be if there was a stereotype of AA parents promoting education and career success to their children. It's not that it never happens, but there certainly seems to be a much smaller group of AA's who can laugh about how similar their parents are in terms of an education-first agenda. We're trying to create this environment for our children and I know that a lot of my peer group are as well, but we did not grow up that way. It's refreshing to observe these conversations and I am enjoying it thoroughly. Thank you all for sharing so openly!

Welcome guys!!!!!

Can West Indians join on the Nigerian bandwagon? We count as Nigerians somewhat :laugh:

Wetin na?

Igbo boy here..taking mcat in a couple weeks and will be applying as well. Currently a registered nurse..top choice is maybe psych right now as I have been working as a psych nurse.

Glad that I found this thread.

East Tennessee - Quillen Medicine
Albany Medical College
UMichigan Medical School
Mercer Medicine
UVermont - Larner Medicine
Rosalind Franklin Medicine
WVU Medicine
Central Michigan Medicine
Texas AM Medicine
NYMC Medicine
UIC Medicine
Tulane Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin Medicine
UC Denver Medicine
Drexel Medicine
MCG Augusta
Virginia Commonwealth Medicine
Temple University Medicine

• Florida Atlantic Medicine
    • Rutgers - RWJ Medicine
      • Texas Tech University HSC Medicine
        • University of Washington Medicine
          • SUNY Syracuse Medicine

To all those applying this year, this is a list of all schools requiring Casper SJT (situational judgement test) please take ASAP, it take 3wx for them to deliver the results.

East Tennessee - Quillen Medicine
Albany Medical College
UMichigan Medical School
Mercer Medicine
UVermont - Larner Medicine
Rosalind Franklin Medicine
WVU Medicine
Central Michigan Medicine
Texas AM Medicine
NYMC Medicine
UIC Medicine
Tulane Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin Medicine
UC Denver Medicine
Drexel Medicine
MCG Augusta
Virginia Commonwealth Medicine
Temple University Medicine

• Florida Atlantic Medicine
    • Rutgers - RWJ Medicine
      • Texas Tech University HSC Medicine
        • University of Washington Medicine
          • SUNY Syracuse Medicine

To all those applying this year, this is a list of all schools requiring Casper SJT (situational judgement test) please take ASAP, it take 3wx for them to deliver the results.
Wow it’s so many more schools from last year!

Just giving a shoutout and bumping this thread.
Can't believe how successful my cycle is turning out to be. Hope you all are receiving good news too!

Reactions: 9 users
Yooooo!!!!!! My compatriots!

Hausa international student reporting for duty! Very surprised to find this thread

Just giving a shoutout and bumping this thread.
Can't believe how successful my cycle is turning out to be. Hope you all are receiving good news too!
Late reply but yes oooooooo. We thank God.

Reactions: 3 users
We need to keep this thread going! For those who had acceptances, what were your parents' reactions?
Hmmmm, (insert school name here)? Eh heh, dont worry. You'll get something closer

Last edited:
We need to keep this thread going! For those who had acceptances, what were your parents' reactions?

Got congratulated then the family chat moved on with business as usual lol. They're all really laid back though so I expected it to be like that. I also don't want too much time in the spotlight, so the reaction was perfect as is.