All the things you hated/disliked about Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BearDog

Journal Clubber
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all the current/former residents out there. There were good reasons we all chose to complete an extra year of training. But, there were some things that just drove you crazy about that year, what were they?

Right now, I'm personally tired of every single P&T issue getting dumped on me, regardless of what else I have to do.

Oh yeah, having preceptors no showing at meetings or missing presentations. Grinds my gears.

Members don't see this ad.

ResiTrak - Be glad if your residency doesn't use this.
Never seeing my family. Taking so much work home.
Everyone thinking that whatever they need you to do is the most important thing in the world (even if it would be okay for it not to get done at all).
Being second guessed by the 5 people who decide to check behind you, even though the actual person responsible with what you did was just fine with your decisions.

... I should probably stop before I get to frustrated...

Reactions: 1 user
ResiTrak - Be glad if your residency doesn't use this.
Never seeing my family. Taking so much work home.
Everyone thinking that whatever they need you to do is the most important thing in the world (even if it would be okay for it not to get done at all).
Being second guessed by the 5 people who decide to check behind you, even though the actual person responsible with what you did was just fine with your decisions.

... I should probably stop before I get to frustrated...

So much true with this. I forgot about Resitrak. Such a treat. I also like nursing management treating me like Im their departmental educator because I don't have anything better to do than prepare lectures for 8 nursing units skills day every quarter.

"Your resident can do that right? He's not busy at all right?"

"Of course not we'd love to volunteer him for that!"

Members don't see this ad :)
12 days on. didn't mind it much the first half, but currently dying.

Home stretch...

I hate how the physical exhaustion affects learning /retention.
This. I get so tired my eyes start to cross during topic discussions. I came home yesterday and just went to sleep. No dinner, no nothing.

The pay - I'm being honest here, it was nice having a paycheck while all my non-resident friends were struggling to pass boards and find jobs, but come December/January, especially if you were moonlighting off-book, you just wanted a full 40 hr/week RPh salary reflected on your pay stub.

(talk about build up -- that first paycheck pops like the 4th of July, especially since it comes around when your paid vacation from PGY1 cashes out)

Members don't see this ad :)
This. I get so tired my eyes start to cross during topic discussions. I came home yesterday and just went to sleep. No dinner, no nothing.
This times ten. Sometimes I feel like I'm spinning my wheels.

The pay - I'm being honest here, it was nice having a paycheck while all my non-resident friends were struggling to pass boards and find jobs, but come December/January, especially if you were moonlighting off-book, you just wanted a full 40 hr/week RPh salary reflected on your pay stub.

(talk about build up -- that first paycheck pops like the 4th of July, especially since it comes around when your paid vacation from PGY1 cashes out)

I feel this one too. My facility hired a new grad right after I started. I know our careers will have distinctly different paths and I chose to do this, but think about the difference in pay, particularly after thinking about the extra hours and responsibilities does still get to me occasionally.

I'll repeat other people but freaking ResiTrak man. I think I've been late on them this entire year....This is the most mundane thing ever. There should just be like What did you do well, what could you have improved on, good things about the rotation, things about the rotation that needs to be improved upon. End.

Also, if I've achieved something for the residency why do I need to comment on it EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

If it is marked "ACH for Residency" you shouldn't have to evaluate it again. I skip those. Resitrak is changing next year I think to a new system,

If it is marked "ACH for Residency" you shouldn't have to evaluate it again. I skip those. Resitrak is changing next year I think to a new system,
It unfortunately keeps popping up with each rotation. I go ahead and fill it in with something in the box for completeness. I hope the new system is better. I was surprised though, my PGY1 ResiTrak was different. It was grading yourself from a scale between 1-10. This year it's Achieved, Needs improvement, or satisfactorily progressing.

It unfortunately keeps popping up with each rotation. I go ahead and fill it in with something in the box for completeness. I hope the new system is better. I was surprised though, my PGY1 ResiTrak was different. It was grading yourself from a scale between 1-10. This year it's Achieved, Needs improvement, or satisfactorily progressing.

It will still show on the eval in case someone wants to write something, but if the big box is checked you don't have to write anything. At least according to ASHP since the goal is ACH. Your program might require something different. We don't make our residents fill it out if it was marked as aACH.

I went from making full pharmacist pay to resident pay so I know how you feel lol

My director wants a comment on almost every resitrak box even if achieved or else the eval will be sent back to me. So when quarterly evaluations comes around (14-15 evals), its a marathon resitrak party with the coresidents! ... 2 more months to go...hang in there everybody :)

Learning about pass-thru funding. For some reason this makes me feel used.

What's that?
Here's what I understand. If I'm wrong someone correct me. Medicare will pay a portion of residents salaries, and other expenses associated with the program (travel, conference fees, preceptor time etc). This portion seems equal to about the percent of total revenue paid from medicare. So not only are we paid half of what everyone else is but half (I think my facility is in the 40% range) of that is paid by Medicare. This article seems to estimate that residents are about free if I'm interpreting that correctly.

http://www.ashp.org/DocLibrary/Accr...10LbBHYpWzVMAVTZg&sig2=g8Om1Po47dDArngFmCDlcA

Here's what I understand. If I'm wrong someone correct me. Medicare will pay a portion of residents salaries, and other expenses associated with the program (travel, conference fees, preceptor time etc). This portion seems equal to about the percent of total revenue paid from medicare. So not only are we paid half of what everyone else is but half (I think my facility is in the 40% range) of that is paid by Medicare. This article seems to estimate that residents are about free if I'm interpreting that correctly.

http://www.ashp.org/DocLibrary/Accr...10LbBHYpWzVMAVTZg&sig2=g8Om1Po47dDArngFmCDlcA

Oh, I think I heard of that too! I think that's the case for the PGY1s at my program. Someone mentioned that they were paid for by someone else. I'm not sure if that's true for the PGY2 programs though? Shrug. I mean I guess you can see it as being used for free labor but did you get something out of it? Did they teach you and help your grow or did you feel like they just put you to work staffing?

Oh, I've grown a lot since the beginning of the year and I like staffing. Sometimes I feel like I learn more staffing than I do on rotation. The only thing that irks me is I got the whole you staff to help pay back the pharmacy sort of speech. I see on a personal level the preceptors invest a lot into me, but from an organization standpoint it looks like we are a good investment especially when you consider hiring residents after they've finished.

I'm not bitter about anything, I chose to do this, I don't regret it, I recognize how much I've grown but I do sometimes wonder if I might have had very similar growth if I had taken a hybrid position right out of school. (Very possible in my area)

Oh, I've grown a lot since the beginning of the year and I like staffing. Sometimes I feel like I learn more staffing than I do on rotation. The only thing that irks me is I got the whole you staff to help pay back the pharmacy sort of speech. I see on a personal level the preceptors invest a lot into me, but from an organization standpoint it looks like we are a good investment especially when you consider hiring residents after they've finished.

I'm not bitter about anything, I chose to do this, I don't regret it, I recognize how much I've grown but I do sometimes wonder if I might have had very similar growth if I had taken a hybrid position right out of school. (Very possible in my area)

Those are legit feelings to have. I think if I just did a pgy1 I'd have those similar feelings if it's better to do the residency or take a hybrid job which might be the same thing you end up in after residency. The question is whether you would have gotten that position or not though. Most people most likely wouldn't but try not to think about the what ifs. You got good training and you can take the fact that you did a residency with you anywhere. :)

I don't mind staffing. It's a break from rotation and I get to cover other patient populations. You don't get a rotation in every single area in just one year so being able to see orders from other areas is very helpful in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users
My program used the residents as grunts and didn't care if we learned anything along the way. Long hours for no reward = no regrets about leaving the program.

ResiTrak is changing and it's now going to be called PharmAcademics?! Same crappy product with a different name?

ResiTrak is changing and it's now going to be called PharmAcademics?! Same crappy product with a different name?

That's gotta be the dumbest name-by-committee I've seen in a while.

Reactions: 2 users
PharmAcademic has been around a while for experiential education. I know a few colleges in Ohio utilize it for their APPE rotations. I find it much more user friendly than ResiTrak but how well the resident evaluation part will be is to be determined. I do like using it to evaluate students though.

I've never heard of it. We used rxpreceptor.

I've never heard of it. We used rxpreceptor.
Just one of the many programs/software out there.

Rxpreceptor, CoreTrax, PharmAcademic, E-Value, SUCCESS are just some of the programs a lot of colleges use. Just different ways to skin a cat.

Just one of the many programs/software out there.

Rxpreceptor, CoreTrax, PharmAcademic, E-Value, SUCCESS are just some of the programs a lot of colleges use. Just different ways to skin a cat.
Annoyingly skin a cat. I miss good old fashion verbal feedback.

That never went away, though.
I felt like I didn't get much during my PGY1. I actually had preceptors that never did my eval or waited like 6 months and never sat me down and did verbal feedback either. It's a lot better at my PGY2. I get a midpoint and final verbal and then my quarterly.

I felt like I didn't get much during my PGY1. I actually had preceptors that never did my eval or waited like 6 months and never sat me down and did verbal feedback either. It's a lot better at my PGY2. I get a midpoint and final verbal and then my quarterly.

I don't get much verbal feedback either. Most of my preceptors prefer to have me document and submit the work I completed on their rotations. One more month!! *survival mode*

What's everyone doing on their last day (s) ?

Today is my last day, a Tuesday... lol. I'm finding I'm running out of things to do... I'm kind of sick of hounding residency preceptors for my evaluations (we don't use ResiTrak). I'm about to start studying for law for another state, honestly. I have to kill at least time until 2 pm when they have our last day party and give us our certificates...

I have 3 more days. It's been a slow week. I'm pretty much on my own the rest of this week. I just want a nap.

resitrack, lack of sleep, waking up at 4-5am to w/u your patients for rounds, god damn load of stupid projects (some of em are good esp if you get to choose) but i'll say you do learn on them one way or another, preceptor sending back resitrack saying this isn't correct you need to write more, the damn binder at the end of the year, getting chewed out for things that wasn't under your control

hell of a year but D A M N did you grow as a person and clinician, bittersweet