ASHP stops allowing research in progress posters for students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmrx33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I heard this week that ASHP is not allowing students to submit abstracts for projects as "research in progress" anymore.. The deadline is October 1st, 2016 and now students have to wrap up their research in 6 weeks assuming they can get IRB approval.

Anyone else nervous about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What is the point of submitting a research in progress poster? I don't get it. It's like hanging a blank canvas and telling people about the picture you are going to paint on it. That has always perplexed me.

What is the point of submitting a research in progress poster? I don't get it. It's like hanging a blank canvas and telling people about the picture you are going to paint on it. That has always perplexed me.

Agreed. I've heard anecdotally of students presenting these RIP posters who do not go on to finish the project. It's a waste of poster space, and it gives credit where none is due.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

The RIPs used to have a BS check vetting purpose for the MS Clinical Pharmacy (and sometimes PhD) students as a cursory review by researchers outside your institution to see whether their MS project or thesis/dissertation would pass peer review muster which is less friendly than the committee where the internal members exceed the external. They used to be a sounding board kind of like a trial oral qualifier where ideas would run and would be picked apart to the point where the MS or PhD candidate could make changes or possibly discontinue the study in favor of something else. RIP was also a sounding board for pilot work to get feedback on whether this could be scaled up to a real clinical trial. Present day, many RIPs from residency projects just don't get done, and MS degrees are rarely conferred outside of specialty residencies.

good because seriously why the hell would I spent time to read your poster if there is nothing on it as result? This sort of bs should of been removed way before for people who just like to pad their CV for residency interviews... Because guess what that's what you have to do as a resident, have actual preliminary result of some of your data on top of your residency stuff which is way more than any student stuff you'll get in 4th year