Allopathic and Osteopathic apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ms. Dawson DO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just curious...

how many of you all are applying to both allo and osteo-pathic schools for this application cycle?

anyone done it in the past.

is this something you have to 'answer for' during the admissions process...

(i'm strictly DO, but i have friends wondering....)

Members don't see this ad.

ha ha ha ha aha :D

Hey Ms. Dawson

I applied to both allopathic and osteopathic medical schools. I secured acceptances in both fields and decided osteopathic. If you apply to both, be ready to defend why you applied both. I used the general argument "I don't care if I am MD or DO, I just want to be a caring and competent physician."

In addition, I was told by a doctor to apply to as many medical schools you can possibly apply to, whether be MD or DO. Anyway you look at it, you are going to be a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
do the adcoms at a osteopathic school for instance know if you have applied for allopathic admission? and vice versa.

The only way the ADCOM's would know if you applied to MD schools is if you told them. Some schools ask what DO and MD schools you applied to on their secondary application but others may just ask you during the interview. There is no reason why you shouldn't apply to both as this will only enhance you options. When investing for retirement do you allocate all of your funds to one account or do you diversify?

Herp

I have already applied to several allopathic schools and just recently have decided to apply to a handful of osteopathic schools. My question concerns the essays required on the AACOMAS app. I was hoping to use the same personal statement I used on my AMCAS with an additional paragraph about my interest in osteopthay. Do you guys think this is acceptable?

the only problem you are going to run into is the fact that the space for the AACOMAS personal statement is like a million times smaller than the one for AMCAS...

there could be harder obstacles to surmount, but i'm sure you'll find a work around for your new task at hand...

Good Luck!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]