Allopathic decelerated programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which Allopathic Schools offer decelerated programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Either GW or Georgetown does (I forget which one, but definetely one of them). I believe that they select you for it, though - so you can't choose to be in it or not to be in it. RWJ also offers an option to spread out your first 2 years over 3.

busup, check your PM box.

Members don't see this ad :)
UIC has one, but possibly only on the Urbana-Rockford/Peoria track (i.e. not chicago -- and not hard to get as a site assignment). It splits M1 into two years, and I believe anyone can do it and some are mandated based on their first semeser grades.

here at U of Arizona we have it...i believe you can request it prior to start of school or if one fails a class they can enter it if they choose not to make up the class during the summer. this is the first 2 years spread over 3 years.

georgetown doesn't have a decelerated program, per se, but they do have two programs that allow you to take some first year classes, and if you get accepted into the med school from those programs, you won't have to retake the classes you already took.

the first is the GEMS program for certain students of disadvantaged backgrounds. i think they accept ~80% of GEMS students into the first year class. during the GEMS year, you take embryology, physiology, and endocrinology (plus some other science classes that don't count toward your 1st year classes, but which do prep you for them). second year you take anatomy, histology, biochem, genetics, nutrition, and neuro, plus all of the other nonscience classes like intro to healthcare, etc. here's the link for info: http://gems.georgetown.edu/

they also have the one year masters program in physiology, which is less like a decelerated program than GEMS, but if you end up getting into georgetown from the program (i think they accept ~20 students out of ~200 in the program), the only science classes you end up taking first year are anatomy, biochem, genetics, nutrition, and i think biostats. and again, they also take all of the other nonscience classes, too. from what i've seen, it's super-competitive though. here's the link for info about that program: http://www.georgetown.edu/departments/physiology/physios/index.htm

Chicago Med also has that option.

UT-Houston has the Alternate Pathway, or AP, which allows students to spread their first year's coursework over 2 years. I don't think it is offered in the second year. They won't admit you directly into the program, but you can decide at any time during the year that you want to "go AP" for any reason, and they will let you.

I believe both Meharry and Howard have optional 5 year programs.

UW-Madison offers it too.

Beware! It now is mandated as of this year to be put in your Dean's Letter if you take longer than 4 years to complete traditional coursework---PD's will ask, so it may hurt you if you don't have a good reason for choosing a slower track.

keraven said:
UIC has one, but possibly only on the Urbana-Rockford/Peoria track (i.e. not chicago -- and not hard to get as a site assignment). It splits M1 into two years, and I believe anyone can do it and some are mandated based on their first semeser grades.

UIC Chicago does have that program. It's called the "decompressed" program here.

If you are going to request a decelerated program, please make you sure request it AFTER you get your acceptance. You don't them to look negatively at the fact that you are interested in taking the slower route (this is not true for all interviewers/school) before you even get in.
You want them thinking you are ready and capable of tackling med school with the 4year curriculum. If sheet happens later down the line, they are more than willing to help you decelerate.

I know MSU CHM and Wayne state have 5 yr option.
I 2nd Bushbaby's advice too!