Allopathic Vs. Osteopathic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EricCSU

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore in college right now, and as of one month ago, I'm a pre-med student too. I'm wondering what the pros and cons of going to an osteopathic school. I know both MD's and DO's are equally as respected, so that isn't an issue. Do the big name DO schools carry as much weight as a big name MD school? Is it easier/harder to get into DO school? Do people ever apply to both? I know MD's usually respect DO's, but what about the opposite? I know DO's work with the muscular system to relieve pain, but what does this mean exactly? Is it a form of medically-based massage? How often is it used? What do MD's think about it?

Thank you in advance for all of your answers. I can use all the information I can get, because all of this is so interesting to me. Have a great day!

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend reading the book The Difference A D.O Makes by Bob Jones. It would take a long time for me to answer all of your questions appropiately but the book will do a good job. You should be able to find it at your local library or look for it on-line. Good luck!

I am just curious about this kind of title for a tread: why it is usually "MD vs DO" or "Allopathic vs Osteopathic" ????

I mean, "or" would be a much better middle word than "vs", what do you guys think?!

"vs" denotes some kind of rivarly, such as the "Yankees vs Cardinals" or " us vs them". "or" denotes two options, without implying any rivarly between them. That is the true face of allopathic and osteopathic medicine in the minds of everyone, exception made to pre-meds, it seems. There is no competion, there is no "we are better than them or, at least, we think we are".

Just a thought, folks...

Members don't see this ad :)
UHS2002--
I can not agree more in your commentary. In no way did I mean to pit one side against another. "Or" would be a much better choice of words than "versus." I guess I just wanted the pros and cons of both measured and the first thing that came to my mind was "versus." Thank you for your opinion.

Thats insecurity speaking. How cares if its vs, or ? MDs don't care, and DOs shouldn't either.

Oh, yes, I am soooooooo insecure...

Thanks, Dr. Freud.

Hello EricCSU,

There are differences between the two philosophies and what I did was a great deal of research. Since society in general is more familiar with the allopathic philosophy, I decided to do more research on Osteopathy. I attended awareness conferences where I heard really emotional testimonials on people who have gone to DO's as their last resort to hope in healing whatever it was they needed treatment for. There is so much about Osteopathy that opened my eyes. The most important thing to keep in mind is that you ultimately want to be a "doctor"--both roads will take you there. It's up to you to decide for yourself which one you more strongly believe in. It shouldn't be a battleground for egoes. You should aim to be a genuine physician and remember that there will be patients relying on you to give them the best possible care. Without them, we're nothing. Good Luck !!

------------------
dreamTeam
UHS04

[This message has been edited by dreamTeam (edited 04-02-2000).]

I want to thank all of you for your input. Whether directly or indirectly, it has helped me in my hunger for knowledge. I'm still trying to find that book by Bob Jones. Amazon.com and barnes and noble (my main book suppliers, I read a lot) don't have the book. I will keep trying though.

Dreamteam, thank you especially for your comments. I'm still very open to both routes, but I'm begining to believe that the stereotypical D.O. philosophy fits more closely with mine. I realize that both allopathic and osteopathic physicians have the choice to decide how they treat their patients, but I'm referring to the general osteopathic philosophy (and definitely not condemning M.D.'s). I'm a wellness (Exercise Science) major with minors in nutrition as well as anatomy+neurobiology. I think my major and nutrition minor lend better to osteopathic medicine in general.

To find out more about this, I'm going to shadow doctors twice a week this summer. There are three M.D.'s (anesthesia, general surgery, and neurosurgery) and two D.O's (internal medicine and general surgery) that I will be shadowing. These experiences should prove to be the most helpful, whichever decision I make.

Also, if anyone else has any cool info, please post it. I would be very grateful. Have a great day.

I found an address where you can order that book: Oklahoma Educational Foundation for Osteopathic Medicine, 1310 Citizens Tower, OKC, OK 73106. This is an old address but I think its still good. I dont have a phone # but if you want me to try and find it I will.

Thank you for your help UHS. I searched my library and they ordered it for me from another campus (same school, different campus). I have a big anatomy test and a physiology lab practical this week, so I won't be able to get to it. As soon as I read it, I'll tell you what I think (I'll probably have questions, too
smile.gif
). Have a great day.

Hi there. Just thought I would say that I work in an Osteopathic hospital/medical school facility and the difference in working with DO's and MD's is quite large, I have felt. While both have shown to be very knowledgeable while I was around (ER) I was always more comfortable with a DO. The MD's are sort of like " why do you hang around in the ER so much when you work in cardiopulmonary?" but the DO's make the interns move to be sure I can see what is going on with a procedure. I am not saying this has happened with every MD, but its just some sort of an overall attitude I have felt while working with them.

I have heard of very similar things too concerning MDs.

In response to the last two replies. I work at an allopathic hospital and they'll kick you out if you want to view a procedure in either the ER or the OR. They don't want you watching. I also volunteered at an Osteopathic hospital, and they booted me from the ER just the same. I was sitting in the back out of everyone's way, just watching the procedure. In conclusion, medical philosophy doesn't breed a good personality. I've had good and bad experiences with both.

Hey people,
I've got a question.I'm an international student majoring in biochemistry(junior year).I know that most medical(allopathic)schools have stringent(if not implicitly bar)admission criteria in regard to international students.I was wondering if this is true for osteopathic medical schools?
Your responses will be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Lumanyika.

------------------
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN,MUCH IS EXPECTED.

I work at an allopathic hospital and they'll kick you out if you want to view a procedure in either the ER or the OR

Depending on what your function is at these hospitals...docs are obligated to kick you out during procedures or any patient contact its called patient confidentiality also there are liability issues to have extra "viewers" during a procedure.

my truth is that you need to call a DO ask him if you can volunteer in his office.
Then you do the same with an MD.

I am a strong believer in learning from mentors than reading books filled with complex political and historical facts.
Sure it is important to know the historical context from which DO profession evolved but
it is more important to know why you want to become a Physician.

I don't want to put you down..
But learn to become a Physician and not to chase a title or degree.

I can tell you I am heading myself towards Surgery and I realized through these years, there is greatness in the eternal struggle for knowledge and service towards those in need. Learning the science of medicine is less of importance when you think about there are so many conditions we don't know the cause of and lack of effective cure. (bear in mind there is a difference between cure and treatment!)
We need to learn to listen to those in need, be inspired to help, even lending your ears can be a valuable medicine.

As years go by you will see that there is not really a difference. The only and the most important notion is to be the best physician you can be.......excellence is visible from far.

Jacob Keum
4th year in NYCOM