Allopathic vs Osteopathic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OzOsteoStudnet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
G'Day All!
I am an Osteo Student here in Sydney and just like Ben, i am interested in the methods of Osteopaths in the USA.

Here in Australia there is a very distinct line between allopathic and osteopathic medicine, and this line is heavily guarded on both sides.

Is this also the case in the US?

There seems to be more similarities than differences from what i have read about osteopaths in the states.

Could someone put this in clear black and white for me...if possible.

Regards
OOS

Members don't see this ad.

There is not a distinct line between allopathic and osteopathic medicine here in the U.S. D.O.s are on the staff of M.D. schools, and vice versa. The curriculum is also very similar, and so are the board exams. D.O.s can also take the exact same board exam as the M.D.s and do ACGME (or AMA) residencies. D.O.s do everything in this country as M.D.s including prescribing medicine, and surgery. They are also in every specialty, but with an emphasis on primary care. Overall, there is a philosophical difference, and many D.O.s use OMM. But, many D.O.s in this country practice just like M.D.s and don't even use OMM. It is common to see DOs and MDs working together in a family practice clinic or in the hospital. M.D.s outnumber D.O.s big time though. I believe D.O.s only make up 5% of the physician workforce in the U.S. Correct me if I am wrong, but DOs in Australia are limited to OMM aren't they? There are D.O.s in this country that specialize in OMM, and do an OMM residency. So, in my opinion, you can be as osteopathic or as allopathic as you want to be when you get the D.O. medical degree. Anyway, you could have gotten most of this from the posts with Ben. G'day.