Almost there

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krokus9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its been quiet around here lately...About a month (and change) to go till match. How is everybody doing?

Members don't see this ad.

So, going back and forth on my rank list. What would you do? - U. Michigan, Yale, Vanderbilt...no preference for location.

HELP! :)

So, going back and forth on my rank list. What would you do? - U. Michigan, Yale, Vanderbilt...no preference for location.

HELP! :)

1. Michigan
2. Yale
3. Vanderbilt

This is only my opinion. All are great but Michigan is considered a top tier GI and Medicine program for that matter. Yale has an "old school" name, but I don't think their GI is as strong as their reputation claims it to be. Heard Vanderbilt is good, but their Hepatology isn't as strong as the other 2.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Please help rank programs without taking reputation and previous rankings in consideration (i.e. Harvard and Hopkins are always considered #1 and 2).

I have no preference for location, no kids, not married.

Stanford, Michigan, Wash U, Hopkins, MGH, UCLA, Southwestern, Oregon, Northwestern, Univ Florida, Univ Virginia, Pitt

Please help rank programs without taking reputation and previous rankings in consideration (i.e. Harvard and Hopkins are always considered #1 and 2).

I have no preference for location, no kids, not married.

Stanford, Michigan, Wash U, Hopkins, MGH, UCLA, Southwestern, Oregon, Northwestern, Univ Florida, Univ Virginia, Pitt

So GIJoes, I'll return the favor. I would say...
Hopkins
MGH
UCLA
Michigan
Pitt
Wash U./Stanford/Northwestern/Oregon
Florida/Virginia/Southwestern

Boston has a little bit more to offer as a city than Baltimore, though Baltimore's image has changed over the years. It depends on how interested in basic science you are as MGH is a very research oriented place and the GI fellowships are often extended an extra year to accommodate the research. UCLA is truly a top-notch program and has the benefit of being in LA, but with that comes significant cost of living that is difficult to afford with fellow salaries. Michigan and Pitt are both phenomenal programs in their own right and both have a good balance of the different GI specialties. The others are all great programs, but I feel less able to distinguish between them.

For academic prestige (CV booster):
Hopkins
MGH
UCLA
Michigan

I'm single and want to date (i.e. desirable cities, lots to do):
MGH
UCLA
Northwestern
Southwestern (tons of people in TX)

For low-cost of living:
Pittsburgh
U. Florida
Southwestern
Virginia

I love the outdoors:
Oregon
Michigan

I'm going into private practice:
"I'D NEVER CONSIDER PRIVATE PRACTICE AS ACADEMICS IS THE ONLY THING THAT FULFILLS ME" :D

So, I sent off my "you're my first choice" e-mail today. I feel a bit nauseous...:barf:

So I have another question...what are the "must have" books for GI fellows? I don't want to be that fellow.

Last edited:
Basic scienice training:
1. MGH
2. Hopkins
3. The main UCLA campus program (NOT the other UCLA-affiliated programs)
4. Pitt
5. Michigan
and the rest programs are not that strong..

Clinical Research training:
1. Hopkins
2. Pitt/UCLA
3. Michigan
4. MGH
5. Wash U
and the rest programs..

Clinical training:
1. Pitt
2. Wash U
3. Southwestern
4. Northwestern