Alpha-2-beta-1 integrin cell-surface collagen

Started by Ragnarok7
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ragnarok7

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I am just a transcriptionist but I am very curious about all things medical so I was wondering if anyone could help me out with something that's been bugging me.

In my copy of Stedman's GI & GU Words: Including Nephrology the very second entry lists "α2β1" as standing for alpha-2-beta-1 integrin cell-surface collagen. From what I can tell from the Internet, α2β1 is a type of integrin which has, predictably, subunits α2 and β1. Types α1β1 and α2β1 of integrin are collagens. So is α2β1 a collagen specifically found in cell membranes?

And then mainly, I'm just wondering what this term is doing in a GI book, and why of all the types of integrin it is the only one listed. I asked a radiologist and he said it might have to do with treating intestinal bleeding. Is this right?

Thanks so much for humoring my curiosity. 🙂 I'm a total nerd and got it into my head to go through all the terms and find out what they mean. But I got stumped on the second one... 😳
 
Hello, I am just a transcriptionist but I am very curious about all things medical so I was wondering if anyone could help me out with something that's been bugging me.

In my copy of Stedman's GI & GU Words: Including Nephrology the very second entry lists "α2β1" as standing for alpha-2-beta-1 integrin cell-surface collagen. From what I can tell from the Internet, α2β1 is a type of integrin which has, predictably, subunits α2 and β1. Types α1β1 and α2β1 of integrin are collagens. So is α2β1 a collagen specifically found in cell membranes?

And then mainly, I'm just wondering what this term is doing in a GI book, and why of all the types of integrin it is the only one listed. I asked a radiologist and he said it might have to do with treating intestinal bleeding. Is this right?

Thanks so much for humoring my curiosity. 🙂 I'm a total nerd and got it into my head to go through all the terms and find out what they mean. But I got stumped on the second one... 😳

Still in undergrad, however I am very interested in gastroenterology which is why I was viewing this forum.

I believe you misunderstood the term. Integrins are cell-surface receptors that bind to collagen in the ECM. Integrins have alpha and beta subunits and are transmembrane proteins in the cell membrane.

I have no clue what it has to do with GI stuff though.