Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Proton emission? GS-test 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheMightyTexan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the nuclear reaction for the transmutation of 14N to 17O?

They stated it was: 14/7 N + alpha particle -> p + 17/8 O

reasoning: 14/7 + alpha (4/2) = 17/8 O + x/yZ

since 18 - 17 = 1 and 9-8 = 1 , Z = Hydrogen and is therefore p = a proton.

I never learned about protons i don't think...

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to say as that reaction isn't something I would expect we have to memorize.

I would bet there is something in the question stem that points you to the answer - or that the choices provided can be checked and narrowed down to the listed reaction being only one where the products and reactants match up.

This is pretty basic chemistry (not to be condescending...)

An alpha particle is 2 neutrons + 2 protons (4 atomic mass units [amu] total).

14N > 17O you gain 3 atomic mass units. What is the breakdown of protons/neutrons?

Of the three atomic mass units gained, only 1 can be a proton (if 2 protons were added, you would have fluorine instead of oxygen- # of protons determines the element).

So, one of the three amu is a proton (thus changing the element). The other 2 amu gained (14>17) must be the two neutrons. Only neutrons and protons are contributing significantly to the mass.

So, from 14N>17O you gained 2 neutrons and 1 proton. The other particle leftover from the collision of the alpha particle with the 14N is thus 1 proton. A single proton is also known as hydrogen.

So you are essentially doing very simple algebra.
([2Neutrons+2Protons] - [2Neutrons+1Proton]) = 1 Proton

This concept is actually important in some branches of medicine, so don't think it is useless.

Last edited: