SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Alpha decay

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Kami, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Kami

Kami Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 23, 2003
    If an element X has atomic number of 92 and it undergoes five alpha decays and two beta decays then what will be the atomic number?

The answer is 84. I was thinking that in Kaplan blue book it says alpha decay, the atomic number of parent is Z-2 which is equal to the daughter atomic number so would it not increase more than 92 since 92=Z-2 so Z daughter would be 92+2=94 for one alpha decay and 94+2=96 for next alpha decay and so it will be increasing for then next alpha decays. In beta decay it would be Z-1 for positron and Z+1 for beta negative. So for beta it would be Z-1 parent=Z daughter.

To summarize, I am not sure how the atomic number comes out to be 84 when it should be higher than 92. Can anyone explain?

Kami

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. fancymylotus

fancymylotus A Whole New World Dentist 10+ Year Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Huh. Each alpha decay knocks 2 off the atomic number and four off the mass number. Each beta decay(I'm assuming this is NOT the positron one), adds 1 to the Z. So 92-10+2=84.

4. ddhm

ddhm 2+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2007
    In alpha decay, the parent nucleus ejects a Helium atom (Z=2, A=4). For every alpha decay, the parental Z is reduced by 2, so for five consecutive alpha decays, the daughter Z is 92-5(2)=82.

In beta decay, a parental neutron decays into a proton while ejecting an electron. The newly evolved proton will increase the parental Z by 1, so two consecutive beta decays will result in a daughter Z of 82+2(1)=84.

5. Kami

Kami Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Its not a positron emission. I think your explanation is right. Thanks.

Kami