Alpha Omega Alpha

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LGMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year med student, and I was wondering how do you get AOA, and what the selection criteria is. During the first year, I did all right but nothing spectacular (mostly B's and couple of A's), have done some research and community service while in med school, and I was wondering if it is still capable for me to get AOA. I don't know how I rank in my class but i would guess I could be in the top 25-30%. I first heard of AOA here a couple weeks ago and not many of my classmates know about it so that is why I'm asking you guys. Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a second year med student, and I was wondering how do you get AOA, and what the selection criteria is. During the first year, I did all right but nothing spectacular (mostly B's and couple of A's), have done some research and community service while in med school, and I was wondering if it is still capable for me to get AOA. I don't know how I rank in my class but i would guess I could be in the top 25-30%. I first heard of AOA here a couple weeks ago and not many of my classmates know about it so that is why I'm asking you guys. Thanks in advance!!

It really varies depending on the school. Ask some 4th years if possible.

Thanks!! Any other advice?

Members don't see this ad :)

Do a forum search on AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha) and you will get plenty of hits. This question comes up yearly.

In short, the criteria for selection to AOA depends on the individual chapter. For some chapters, it depends on first and second year grades. For other chapters it's grades and leadership. Some chapters take the top 1% of the each class with no leadership characteristics thrown in.

Candidates may be elected to AOA at the end of third year, at the end of fourth year or during residency. Again, selection for AOA depends largely on the individual chapters. You should consult the chapter/members at your medical school.

njb is right on, as always

here's one example: at our school, the top 6 people in the class get chosen for Jr AOA during third year. Jr AOA is purely numbers based on MS1 and MS2 grades, so as you can imagine there are many, many people who cannot be AOA, like 95% of our class. (We have H/P/F, not letter grades.)

Sr AOA, for us, gets chosen during 4th yr and again is primarily grades (MS3) with a little allowance for other stuff. Again, this is purely numbers and 25% of the class, at most, will be AOA.

There were several people in my class who spent most of MS1 and MS2 possessed about making jr AOA, to the point that they made themselves, us, and the faculty miserable. It is really not within your control, because there are tons of very smart people who are quietly kicking your ass gradewise, even though they don't make any noise about it. Do your best, learn the material, and at worst you will join the 75% of MDs who are not AOA.

there are tons of very smart people who are quietly kicking your ass gradewise, even though they don't make any noise about it

:laugh: I know it, the quiet ones--not the bragging ones--are those who are usually stellar.

Reactions: 1 users
Talk to your school's AOA representative. It's worth noting that some residencies requires AOA (eg orthopedics).

It's mostly based on academic performance, however that is gauged, at most institutions. :rolleyes:

Do a forum search on AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha) and you will get plenty of hits. This question comes up yearly.

In short, the criteria for selection to AOA depends on the individual chapter. For some chapters, it depends on first and second year grades. For other chapters it's grades and leadership. Some chapters take the top 1% of the each class with no leadership characteristics thrown in.

Candidates may be elected to AOA at the end of third year, at the end of fourth year or during residency. Again, selection for AOA depends largely on the individual chapters. You should consult the chapter/members at your medical school.

1%? That's one heck of a small chapter seeing as how most med schools don't have particularly big classes. That's would be like...1 person a class at many schools.

Are there huge medical school classes where 1% isn't just like 1-2 people? I wonder what 4 people do.

It's gotta be a little more than the top 1% at most schools though, that would be somewhat pointless to just have 1-2 people be AOA, since you'd basically just be the valedictorian.

Talk to your school's AOA representative. It's worth noting that some residencies requires AOA (eg orthopedics).

It's mostly based on academic performance, however that is gauged, at most institutions. :rolleyes:

Ortho doesn't require AOA, it's just that a large percentage of those who match are AOA. Derm and plastics have even higher percentages of people who matched who were AOA.

I'm pretty sure it's not a requirement for any specific residency because not every med school even has AOA.

1%? That's one heck of a small chapter seeing as how most med schools don't have particularly big classes. That's would be like...1 person a class at many schools.

Are there huge medical school classes where 1% isn't just like 1-2 people? I wonder what 4 people do.

It's gotta be a little more than the top 1% at most schools though, that would be somewhat pointless to just have 1-2 people be AOA, since you'd basically just be the valedictorian.

Once you are selected to AOA, you are a member of the national organization complete with pin and certificate. Many activities are done at the national level and not at the local level. For example, I was selected by my medical school chapter but participated in AOA events and activities where I did residency and now as faculty. Once you are a member of AOA, you can participate in any chapters activities and participation continues as long as you practice medicine.

By the end of fourth year, a total of about 10 people had been selected to AOA out of my class of 90 students. Couple that with the 2 who were selected from the third year class, the faculty and private physicians who are AOA and residents who were AOA. We had a fairly large number of people (more than 100) present at each induction ceremony and at various activities during the year with about 12-15 medical students.

Thanks everyone!!!

At my school 10% ended up being AOA and it was selected by a list of the top people grade-wise (14/50 had straight A's first 2 years) being sent to the class and faculty and then these people were given a rating 1 to 4 by each person and the 3 people with the best ratings got it. Then 2 more were selected in similar fashion after 3rd year. Basically you had to be very strong academically and have the faculty and your fellow classmates like you. Almost all schools will make grades a big part of selection and I am guessing unless you have a weak class that a few A's and mostly B's doesn't put you in the top 25%. Sorry, but as stated before you might have to just become one of the 75% (probably more like 90%) of MDs who are not AOA. This will hurt your chances a little for some more competitive specialties, especially plastic surgery, but no AOA doesn't rule them out. In my class our 5 AOA people did ortho, derm, anesthesia, radiology and family medicine (yep, family, and he was top of our class). We had non AOAs do derm, ophthalmology, urology and ortho, though. Basically your chances of being AOA aren't great, but being an American MD with fairly strong grades makes your chances good to get into a great specialty of your choice.

Hey everyone, I was wondering what is considered and what it takes to gain acceptance into AOA? Plus who makes the decisions and what's the process like? Are there any things that can be done to up my chances?

Here's some background - first year grades sucked, I was in top 25 but not by much, second year I was in the top 5 the entire time through. I got 2 PI pubs, one in med school one before (but both in generic fields), and a 249 step 1 (just recieved score). I'm a VP of my class, and on school student council. I've got mild volunteer work (mostly working at a free clinic for fun/experience), but that's nothing big. I also do a lotta BJJ/MMA, but I dont think that counts for anything at all (if anything it'd probably hurt).

Starting third year I was wondering what is required beyond good clerkship grades to get in? Is there a set number of students per school?

Thanks in advance. Also, so far I want to do emergency medicine so please no obnoxious posts going "Sorry you wont match into derm, gunner". I'm just asking for some advice on being the best student I can be.

Hey everyone, I was wondering what is considered and what it takes to gain acceptance into AOA? Plus who makes the decisions and what's the process like? Are there any things that can be done to up my chances?

Here's some background - first year grades sucked, I was in top 25 but not by much, second year I was in the top 5 the entire time through. I got 2 PI pubs, one in med school one before (but both in generic fields), and a 249 step 1 (just recieved score).

Look about 5 threads down, Roy7. It seems that each school's chapter has it's own process:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=423330

BTW, isn't a 249 on Step 1 pretty darn GOOD??

It's worth noting from Ice Nine's profile links that, of those U.S. Allo Seniors that mached into orthopedic surgery, 207 were NOT in AOA, 172 were "not available or undecided", and 180 were in AOA.

"Most ortho residents are AOA" is a fallacy.

However, looking at the histogram it looks like a good 75% scored >220 on Step 1 and a good HALF were above 240. Scary. Mean score: 230.

For Plastics:
21 "not in", 26 "not decided/not available", 23 "in". Mean score: 231

Anyway, those were just the two I wanted to look up but if you want more, just look at the links. :)

Here's some background - first year grades sucked, I was in top 25 but not by much...

Also, so far I want to do emergency medicine so please no obnoxious posts going "Sorry you wont match into derm, gunner".

I wouldn't call you a gunner for wanting to know how to get AOA. I would, however, consider the fact that in the same sentence you say your grades sucked despite being in the top quarter of your class a 'gunnerish' statement ;).

I think that the places which solely use M3 evals are right on. My school pretty much spits in the face of AOA by only choosing students with perfect grades M1-3 regardless of character.

But do you want them judging character? I mean think about what type of bs that'd put into that criteria. ;)

I wouldn't call you a gunner for wanting to know how to get AOA. I would, however, consider the fact that in the same sentence you say your grades sucked despite being in the top quarter of your class a 'gunnerish' statement ;).

Guess that makes sense, but after always hearing rumors bout how competitive it is to get into AOA I figured that being in the top quarter wasnt good compared to those already in =)

The national criteria says that no more than 16% of a graduating class can be elected to AOA. Find out who is the current president for the chapter at your school and find out their election criteria.

I was looking at my school's online catalog and coincidentally came across the AOA selection criteria.

I suggest you go through your school's catalog.