Is wearing an AOA necktie pretentious?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't do pin or necktie. The best was to impress is through humility
I agree. I didn't even want to ask to leave wards a bit early to go to my induction ceremony that night because I don't want people to think I was bragging or trying to get praise. Laying low is good for now, but make sure to highlight your achievements on ERAS. You can't go wrong with evaluations that say something like "Student was incredibly knowledgeable above his/her 3rd year peers but remained humble about this advanced understanding." The necktie/pin will probably just look like you want others to know that you're good enough for an honor society.
 
Necktie_medium.jpg

the color scheme alone is reason to not wear this
the last time I saw purple and green together I was five and watching Barney on PBS
 
Wearing a pin seems socially acceptable, I have seen students/residents/attendings wearing them at a few of our hospitals. I think as long as the person wearing them is nice and doesn't have a cocky personality it won't be an issue.

The necktie/bowtie probably would be unnoticed by most, but I think it would mainly only be socially acceptable during AOA meetings, or as another member put it, if you were the fun, old white haired doctor.