Alpha Omega Alpha

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phenytoin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey forum,

As third year has just ended, I was wondering if anyone had any thought as to how many clinical honors would ensure receiving senior AOA. I realize that this is quite school specific, but wanted to figure out what is thought to be AOA level.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey forum,

As third year has just ended, I was wondering if anyone had any thought as to how many clinical honors would ensure receiving senior AOA. I realize that this is quite school specific, but wanted to figure out what is thought to be AOA level.
Thank you!

Well at my school, they only give AOA to ~10 students per class, so you pretty much have to beat those 10 students in terms of # of honors or having a **** ton of community service. If 10 classmates honored every single class and rotation, and you've honored every single class and rotation except for 1, you'll be left in the dust.

Well at my school, they only give AOA to ~10 students per class, so you pretty much have to beat those 10 students in terms of # of honors or having a **** ton of community service. If 10 classmates honored every single class and rotation, and you've honored every single class and rotation except for 1, you'll be left in the dust.

That makes sense. I assume honoring all rotations must be quite a rare event however but you're right that it is not only school dependent but also class dependent... Still interested in what people think or have observed.

Members don't see this ad :)
That makes sense. I assume honoring all rotations must be quite a rare event however but you're right that it is not only school dependent but also class dependent... Still interested in what people think or have observed.

At my school honoring everything is near impossible due to the way they grade. So a ~3.75 GPA puts us in the running for Sr. AOA. I honored near everything in the first 2 years and have 3/6 honors in the 3rd year. I know I am in the running, but in all likelihood I won't get it.

Last year it was so tough to honor rotations that a friend of mine who had all honors in basic science and an honors in only Surgery, all HP/P else where ended up AOA. So I guess it depends on moreso on how gunnerish your class is.

At my school honoring everything is near impossible due to the way they grade. So a ~3.75 GPA puts us in the running for Sr. AOA. I honored near everything in the first 2 years and have 3/6 honors in the 3rd year. I know I am in the running, but in all likelihood I won't get it.

Last year it was so tough to honor rotations that a friend of mine who had all honors in basic science and an honors in only Surgery, all HP/P else where ended up AOA. So I guess it depends on moreso on how gunnerish your class is.

That's very similar to the way things are at my school.

It's interesting how schools can be pretty different.

At my school all of the junior AOA's had 4.0's preclinically

I have no idea how senior AOA works here but it's not as difficult as some other schools to honor every rotation. Half of the rotations (Surg, IM, OB) have shelf score minimums that if you reach them you will most likely have honors unless you were absent/idiotic/extremely douchy on the rotation.

The remaining 3 rotations don't have hard cut-offs but if you do well on the shelf (mid 80's and above) you will honor it unless you had bad evals. There is always at least 2 people evaluating you, usually more so you don't get screwed by just 1 evaluator submarining your grade

More people at my school had all Honors preclinically than there are AOA spots.

From there what they do is use other factors to measure... leadership, step 1 score, etc. I know someone who honored all of their preclinical classes and ended up with a 250 step 1 score... didn't get AOA because he had nothing in the way of leadership positions.

Honestly I don't see the point in getting AOA unless you're shooting for the top residency in dermatology (or your residency of choice or w/e). In some ways I feel like (at my school at least) it's ego pleasing. I met with someone to discuss what to do to match a certain residency, and he asked if I were going to be AOA... I said I don't know but probably not, and he was like "yeah no big deal. you've still got a great chance at it." :)

(For the record there's no chance of me getting junior AOA. Maybe senior AOA if I'm lucky over the next year or so).

who assesses the aoa status?

what depth would they know about leadership experiences?

who assesses the aoa status?

what depth would they know about leadership experiences?

At my school, you are assessed by your peers on leadership. In that sense, they could see through if you are actually leading or just stuffing your resume with positions.

At my school, you are assessed by your peers on leadership. In that sense, they could see through if you are actually leading or just stuffing your resume with positions.

What are other ways to obtain leadership experience in med school, besides taking office in student orgs?

In addition to being a class officer, officer of student chapters of the AMA, AMSA, etc would count. You could set up a specialty specific club as well.

Addendum: if you're part of a school curriculum board or some sort of IRB, etc.