General Admissions & OTCAS Already becoming discouraged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaitlyn.w0009

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm only a junior in highschool. I'm planning on applying to colleges this summer. (Yes I've heard about the combined BA/MA programs as well haha, but I don't think I want to take that route for outside reasons.) I've wanted to become an OT since 8th grade, and I'm starting to become discouraged. The loans, of course are very discouraging. Also, I see how difficult it can be to get into an OT school. I've always been a fantastic student, but college may end up beating me down, I never know. (I second guess myself a lot ha.) basically, I really want to become an OT but everything is becoming very discouraging. Is getting into OT school really THAT difficult as everyone makes it out to be? How do you deal with undergrad AND grad loans? Is the earned salary that bad as people say? Thank you :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm only a junior in highschool. I'm planning on applying to colleges this summer. (Yes I've heard about the combined BA/MA programs as well haha, but I don't think I want to take that route for outside reasons.) I've wanted to become an OT since 8th grade, and I'm starting to become discouraged. The loans, of course are very discouraging. Also, I see how difficult it can be to get into an OT school. I've always been a fantastic student, but college may end up beating me down, I never know. (I second guess myself a lot ha.) basically, I really want to become an OT but everything is becoming very discouraging. Is getting into OT school really THAT difficult as everyone makes it out to be? How do you deal with undergrad AND grad loans? Is the earned salary that bad as people say? Thank you :(

Hello Kaitlyn,

I'm sorry you're feeling that way. The perspective you have about yourself I believe defines your path. If you already believe that you can't, then you can't. But if you believe you are qualified, you are a hard worker, and being an OT is something you really want those doors will open for you. I'm sure youve heard that it takes a special individual to become an OT and these admissions faculty and professors have spent a good portion of their life being just that and I trust that they have the tools identify those people out of crowd. enjoy the year and half left you have of high school I know I regret not doing so.

undergraduate school is of course very different than any other school you've had but too enjoy it. It is a great time to explore and learn all kinds of new things. Be open and don't let the pressure of OT school define these precious moments of your life. Organize and prioritize if you still find that's Ot school is the router then prepare.

All comes with time.

Loans are at times inevitable but if you budget and plan accordingly they aren't so scary, and don't forget loan forgiveness programs!

Yes OT school is competitive but you have the times to distinguish yourself from your peers, not only OT related but find activities you enjoy, especially if you go away to college.

Hope this lightens up your nerves.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello Kaitlyn,

I'm sorry you're feeling that way. The perspective you have about yourself I believe defines your path. If you already believe that you can't, then you can't. But if you believe you are qualified, you are a hard worker, and being an OT is something you really want those doors will open for you. I'm sure youve heard that it takes a special individual to become an OT and these admissions faculty and professors have spent a good portion of their life being just that and I trust that they have the tools identify those people out of crowd. enjoy the year and half left you have of high school I know I regret not doing so.

undergraduate school is of course very different than any other school you've had but too enjoy it. It is a great time to explore and learn all kinds of new things. Be open and don't let the pressure of OT school define these precious moments of your life. Organize and prioritize if you still find that's Ot school is the router then prepare.

All comes with time.

Loans are at times inevitable but if you budget and plan accordingly they aren't so scary, and don't forget loan forgiveness programs!

Yes OT school is competitive but you have the times to distinguish yourself from your peers, not only OT related but find activities you enjoy, especially if you go away to college.

Hope this lightens up your nerves.
Thank you so much! It did, definitely. The whole loans idea is still new to me. Does the undergraduate college usually let you withstand loans until after graduating grad school? I'm sorry if that's an idiotic question! Haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! It did, definitely. The whole loans idea is still new to me. Does the undergraduate college usually let you withstand loans until after graduating grad school? I'm sorry if that's an idiotic question! Haha.

Yes they usually do, it might depend on your loan. Be sure to ask you're financial aid advisor. I know personally for me my payments for Perkins loan will be stopped while I attend graduate school anf because of the field I am going into my loan will
Be forgiven once I graduate and become employed.

Yes they usually do, it might depend on your loan. Be sure to ask you're financial aid advisor. I know personally for me my payments for Perkins loan will be stopped while I attend graduate school anf because of the field I am going into my loan will
Be forgiven once I graduate and become employed.
Great! I just talk to my financial aid advisor when I'm accepted to my undergrad college?

As a freshman in undergrad, I was seriously considering becoming an SLP, which was also competitive. I ended up with around a 3.5 cum when all was said and done with upward trending (higher last 60 credits GPA) grades. So had I tried for SLP, I think I would have gotten in somewhere in spite of all the horror stories I heard.

Anyway, getting into OT school is not that hard, but you might have to move (I did) and go to a private school if those around you are too competitive.

Look at BLS if you're curious of the average salaries in the most common settings. Most get paid well (in my opinion), with the least in schools. As for loans, maybe you'll have to live at home for a bit and pay them off.

Reactions: 1 user
I felt the same way too when I was a senior in high school. I thought for sure I wanted to be an SLP and even did my senior project on SLP. I went to a community college first, which I'm incredibly glad I did. It costs less and I had great financial aid. I was practically paid to go. Then I applied to UW Seattle for the speech and hearing sciences program and was really nervous about that because I had to go into both the university AND the major at the same time. I got in and really thought I would pursue a graduate degree afterwards. Turns out I just wasn't doing well and I wasn't as passionate about it as I thought I was. After all was said and done, I graduated with a 3.2 GPA and my major GPA was just below a 3.0. I even had to switch major tracks because I wasn't maintaining the core GPA requirements. I was SUPER discouraged and really weighed my options. After reflecting on my experiences and what I may be more passionate doing, I met with an OT I knew and discussed the career. I felt like it was a much better fit for me, but it would take some work after graduating. So I made it through my speech and hearing degree and took the prerequisites I needed for OT school at a community college. I think it totaled 32 credits post graduating. But it bumped up my overall GPA and really helped my last 90 credits. I just knew I also had to really focus on building observation hours in all OT settings and volunteering, ESPECIALLY in nontraditional and underserved settings.

now here I am with one OT acceptance under my belt! Yes the loans are intimidating but you can keep the overall cost down by being smart in your undergrad. Go to a community college first, fill out the FAFSA as soon as it opens for the year you are attending (it just opened in October for next year, which is new because it typically opens on the first of the year in January), talk to financial aid counselors, and never wait until the last minute to turn financial aid stuff in.
When it comes to grad school, don't go to an insanely expensive school. You should not be spending over $100,000 on your masters. I just can't justify it. I'm waiting to hear from UW which is public in state tuition for me. I crossed UPS off my list because I can't justify their cost. The school I've been accepted to will be $70,000 and I know I will have to be very diligent about paying it off after. My husband will be in the same boat too.

Sorry for the lengthy response, but I know how it feels to be in your position. Even after some poor grades, I got in to OT school. You can do it if you don't second guess yourself and do everything in confidence (even if you're totally terrified on the inside). If you don't get into a reasonably priced school the first time around, a gap year does wonders for the mind and soul.

Just curious, what state are you in?

I felt the same way too when I was a senior in high school. I thought for sure I wanted to be an SLP and even did my senior project on SLP. I went to a community college first, which I'm incredibly glad I did. It costs less and I had great financial aid. I was practically paid to go. Then I applied to UW Seattle for the speech and hearing sciences program and was really nervous about that because I had to go into both the university AND the major at the same time. I got in and really thought I would pursue a graduate degree afterwards. Turns out I just wasn't doing well and I wasn't as passionate about it as I thought I was. After all was said and done, I graduated with a 3.2 GPA and my major GPA was just below a 3.0. I even had to switch major tracks because I wasn't maintaining the core GPA requirements. I was SUPER discouraged and really weighed my options. After reflecting on my experiences and what I may be more passionate doing, I met with an OT I knew and discussed the career. I felt like it was a much better fit for me, but it would take some work after graduating. So I made it through my speech and hearing degree and took the prerequisites I needed for OT school at a community college. I think it totaled 32 credits post graduating. But it bumped up my overall GPA and really helped my last 90 credits. I just knew I also had to really focus on building observation hours in all OT settings and volunteering, ESPECIALLY in nontraditional and underserved settings.

now here I am with one OT acceptance under my belt! Yes the loans are intimidating but you can keep the overall cost down by being smart in your undergrad. Go to a community college first, fill out the FAFSA as soon as it opens for the year you are attending (it just opened in October for next year, which is new because it typically opens on the first of the year in January), talk to financial aid counselors, and never wait until the last minute to turn financial aid stuff in.
When it comes to grad school, don't go to an insanely expensive school. You should not be spending over $100,000 on your masters. I just can't justify it. I'm waiting to hear from UW which is public in state tuition for me. I crossed UPS off my list because I can't justify their cost. The school I've been accepted to will be $70,000 and I know I will have to be very diligent about paying it off after. My husband will be in the same boat too.

Sorry for the lengthy response, but I know how it feels to be in your position. Even after some poor grades, I got in to OT school. You can do it if you don't second guess yourself and do everything in confidence (even if you're totally terrified on the inside). If you don't get into a reasonably priced school the first time around, a gap year does wonders for the mind and soul.

Just curious, what state are you in?
Thank you so much! I've been told by many people, "Don't become an OT, you'll never get a job, you'll never pay off your loans." And I'm in Florida currently, I moved from New York.

Thank you so much! I've been told by many people, "Don't become an OT, you'll never get a job, you'll never pay off your loans." And I'm in Florida currently, I moved from New York.
If everyone blindly trusted the people who said no don't do it, we wouldn't have any OTs, PTs, SLPs, Audiologists, ARNPs, PAs, etc etc. it's the reality of a healthcare career but you just need to be smart and explore your resources. You will absolutely be able to pay off your loans if you don't let yourself go into a massive amount of debt.

Hello there!

Don't be discouraged. I'm from California, and the competition for acceptance into a public school here is supposedly cut throat. You are young, and as long as you volunteer/intern under various OT sites during your undergrad, get decent grades, and test scores, you will be fine.

I was very stubborn, and refused to apply to any private school b/c of the price tag. Some people would say that what I did was foolish, and that if I was truly passionate about OT, I would go to any school that would accept me despite the price. However, I disagree. Follow your passion, but also be aware of your own reality (my reality is that I'm dirt poor). I had a financial advisor from a private OT program tell me that I would have no problem paying off 100k+ debt if I had a rich uncle or family member willing to pay my tuition. That's a load of bull, and so many students in the US are shouldering massive student loans, with false promises from these greedy private schools that they will be "well-off" after they graduate with their degree. I'm sorry, but for people from low socioeconomic statuses, that is called scamming.

I volunteered and interned at 4+ OT clinical sites during my undergrad, accumulated thousands of hours, did well in school, and studied my butt off for the GRE. I applied to ONE public school that offered grants most semesters, and got in (My debt will be probably less than $10,000). Like you, I knew I wanted to be an OT since I was very young, which is an advantage.

Getting into a private program here in Cali is easy. It's the state schools here that are super competitive. As long as you stay focused, you can get into ANY program. Be smart. I recommend going to community college first (save money, cheaper), and don't choose a crap hard major unless you know you will do well in it. Transfer to a public state university (also cheap) graduate with your B.S., do as many hours as you can under OTs and study for GREs if schools require it.

And about OTs not finding jobs...I'm not sure where you heard that from...unless the market is getting more saturated from all these OT schools popping up.

As for salary, it varies...but the average (for new grads) ranges from 60-70k. I'm not going to lie, but if you have over 100k student debt, it will suck. If you have less debt, like some OT grads with 30k or less, it is MUCH more manageable.

Last edited:
All the OTs that I volunteered for made good money. The average salary for an OT in CA is 94k. All the info sessions I have been to for schools have said nothing but good things about becoming an OT. I think it depends where you decide to practice.

My biggest advice is that if you know you'll be pursuing a graduate degree- GO TO COMMUNITY COLLEGE. You will save thousands and thousands on 2ish years of undergrad, and, depending on your family situation and financial aid, may even be able to live with family and pay out of pocket. (This really depends for everyone's unique situation). Also, get good summer jobs and part-time school year jobs and being frugal/paying into a savings account. You may be able to save up enough over the years to fund a semester of grad school or later semester of undergrad. Additionally, these jobs can help you get into OT school! I recommend a special needs summer camp- many hire teens!

Reactions: 1 users

DITTO on Community COllege - You will save THOUSANDS of dollars. Pursue OT if it is where your passion is. If you are open to other healthcare fields I would also encourage you to shadow and find out what they do. I think the cost benefit analysis of a PA or NP degree outweigh our degree at this point.

All the OTs that I volunteered for made good money. The average salary for an OT in CA is 94k. All the info sessions I have been to for schools have said nothing but good things about becoming an OT. I think it depends where you decide to practice.

A word about those stats: 88k in San Diego is the equivalent of making 53k in Milwaukee WI.

88k doesn't sound so great to me when the average house in San Diego / SF/ LA suburbs is 400-500k? What about when you factor in that $1000+ a mo loan payment for those who want the OTD, or attend schools like Augustine University which total out to 100k+ How about the car payment, kids, a vacation, nursery school/daycare? You'll be pretty broke.

This is a good example of two things - 1 - have realistic salary expectations, and you'll be happy, 2- I don't mean this in any sexist way, but our field is 90%+ women. If you plan on working PRN/part time and having kids, or being married and having your husband's salary to fall back on - you'll be fine also.

If you are planning to get into OT and have it be the "breadwinner" salary like an attorney/doctor even NP/PA can, I don't really see that being the case now sadly.