Already behind... havn't even started yet.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

No Imagination

I
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, so MSU sent out an email asking for an impromptu bio (really made it seem like it was an optional thing, do it if we wanted to), well, me writing like a mad man, I said "F" it, ill have 4 years to get to know these people.

Well, yesterday I got an email saying they are waiting on my bio, and I am the last one, and have extended the deadline...

Yeah, so I signed on the vet website, and yeah, there is more. They want a picture of me having fun (perhaps a SS of SDN? with my reflection in the monitor?)

Just give me the classes, the text books, and the exams... this social 'getting to know you' BS seems so damn 'undergrad/sorority'. Hell, i am even getting personallized emails from the vet school frat about not buying one of their T-shirts.

Is it just me? Perhaps I'm just to flustered to care? Or to old and cynical?

Vent over

Members don't see this ad.

Haha, just wait until orientation and all the ice-breaker activities! Sooo looking forward to those. :rolleyes:

I always hated stuff like that. But the good news is that it will be over in a month or two and soon you'll just be another vet student in the mix. You have to give the student offices (or whoever coordinates this stuff) credit for trying, I think they just try to make the big life change a little easier on us. Think of all the time and effort put into developing incoming student activities and humor them. ;)

I agree, you'll go through a LOT more of it during your orientation week and your first couple weeks of school....so get used to it, and at least act happy during the "getting to know you stuff" to humor them. Soon enough you'll have those exams and classes you crave so much.

Vet school activities are sadly comparable sometime to undergrad/sorority activities, but I believe thats been discussed enough already...

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to play Devil's Advocate here, but I really liked all of the orientation "getting to know you" BS. Obviously you can't instantly build camaraderie (I'll admit, I looked up how to spell that :oops:) with 80-some other people in the span of a few days of ice-breakers and whatnot, but I think they do their best. On the bright side, you'll figure out earlier who you'll be able to work well with. You'll be spending a lot of time with your class for the next 4 years, so it's good to get used to them now! :D

I have to second the "I love horribly generic ice breakers sentiment". They tend to be so awkward they are kind of fun, and does give you a pretty good chance to get to know others.

On a side note I have been known to start spur of the moment games of duck duck goose with crowds of people I don't know. :) Its fun!

I'm with you, but I am old and cynical. I don't normally enjoy "scheduled fun."

I think I would like David's games of duck, duck, goose though.

Is it just me? Perhaps I'm just to flustered to care? Or to old and cynical?

Vent over

I have to second the "I love horribly generic ice breakers sentiment". They tend to be so awkward they are kind of fun, and does give you a pretty good chance to get to know others.

On a side note I have been known to start spur of the moment games of duck duck goose with crowds of people I don't know. :) Its fun!

You remind me very much of one of my friends who used to carry a box of plastic spoons and a deck of cards around and start games of SPOONS whenever there were more than two people around.

if only we could play virtual spoons and duck duck goose! that would be fun.

Dude, just scout the class for hot girls and make sure you end up sitting next to them for most of the orientation activities. :shrug:

I'm a happily taken man... That said, I am a notorious flirt (something my g/f lol's at), but in the South, being a flirt (even an innocent one) can land you in quite a bit of trouble.

So 'no thanks', gonna hang out with the techies during orientation.

Oh ****... this is vet school, not grad school... there wont be any techies, will there? Ok, hot girls with laptops... yeah, that will be my criteria.

Wow, I'm glad you said something! I have to send out a powerpoint slide for our orientation at VMRCVM by the end of next week and I'd completely forgotten!

As cheesy as some of that stuff is I'd take it in a heartbeat right now! I'm swimming in a sea of no information and it's driving me crazy! No big sib contact, no paperwork (I'm old school, I like internet but it just doesn't replace letters you can hold and obsess over), so David I'm gonna hold you to that game of duck duck goose at orientation....;)

Oh ****... this is vet school, not grad school... there wont be any techies, will there? Ok, hot girls with laptops... yeah, that will be my criteria.

Who says that hot girls, techies and people interested in vet med are mutually exclusive groups? ;)

.........okay, it's a long shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
You remind me very much of one of my friends who used to carry a box of plastic spoons and a deck of cards around and start games of SPOONS whenever there were more than two people around.

I actually usually have a deck of FLUXX cards with me whenever I go anywhere and I know there will be lots of people.

And if you don't know what fluxx is.... google it, because its about the coolest card game ever.

Who says that hot girls, techies and people interested in vet med are mutually exclusive groups? ;)

.........okay, it's a long shot.

When you going to post pictures? Eh? EH? ;)

Personally, I'm really excited for orientation!! It's like one last hoorah before all of the academics really hit and make my soul cry. Not to mention the hilarious stories from orientation that we can all laugh about for the next four years :smuggrin::laugh:
Cheesiness, I embrace you. Unless we have to play The Name Game. That's not where my tuition $$$ is going.

if only we could play virtual spoons and duck duck goose! that would be fun.

I have a very funny mental image of a forum full of posts:
Duck
Duck
Duck
Goose!

Sigh....

No Imagination said:
Oh ****... this is vet school, not grad school... there wont be any techies, will there?

*points at self* sort-of-techie? Married to a techie so perforce learned to be something of a techie? Certainly a geek, not just a nerd. Too bad I'm not in yet.

i love the getting to know you games!!!!

the only one i don't like is the sticker on your back with the animal and you can only ask 'yes' and 'no' questions. i had "elk" one time and "mongoose" another time.

anyway, its just fun meeting new people and the goofy games makes it an easy ice breaker. :)

*points at self* sort-of-techie? Married to a techie so perforce learned to be something of a techie? Certainly a geek, not just a nerd. Too bad I'm not in yet.

Your avatar screams Techie!

I'm not a big fan of forcing people to hold hands and sing kumbyah (sp?) either. I'm pretty darn social, but I like to do it at my pace, not being forced to play games and stuff. But I figure the attitude not wanting to do it will only make it drag out, so I'm going to try to go into this with an open mind.

We can hang on the sidelines and be old and cynical together. I'm not a fan of this kind of thing, either.

I'll be joining you guys for that. I heard some of the activities they do during orientation and all I could think of was like are you serious??

Last edited:
Quit whining, you guys. Would you rather be sitting at home fine-tuning your personal statement because you didn't get in last time?

Just a little perspective for ya. ;)

I'll be joining you guys for that. I heard some of the activities they do during orientation and all I could think of was like are you serious??

Well, you can at least be glad you're not going to UF's orientation... my best friend is starting there and she said they actually have a dance.
Can you imagine....? With a girl/guy ration of like 3:1 or more.... that's just begging for junior high levels of awkwardness :D

Suggestion: keep your full time job until the day before class starts. A friend of mine got out of these at UT because she had a full time job with a schedule that did not allow her to attend. :smuggrin:

No Imagination said:
Your avatar screams Techie!

I do try.

I am with twelvetigers (BTW love your video avatar...cannot stop looking at it though!!!) on this, be glad you got in and enjoy every minute of it, now matter how humiliating it may be! But, UF, a dance??????!!! I didn't even go to my high school prom, but hopefully, I will be going to that dance next year!!

i think if i missed these ice breaker events (due to a job as mentioned or some other valid excuse) i would feel like i was missing out initially. :) i know i'm not in that current situation b/c i have not been accepted, but i'm pretty sure everyone hates these situations equally and that will help when you're having to participate in them. :D

i think if i missed these ice breaker events (due to a job as mentioned or some other valid excuse) i would feel like i was missing out initially. :) i know i'm not in that current situation b/c i have not been accepted, but i'm pretty sure everyone hates these situations equally and that will help when you're having to participate in them. :D

I agree, I'm actually looking forward to orientation... I'd feel like I missed out if I didn't go. But maybe that's because we don't have a dance :D

Well, you can at least be glad you're not going to UF's orientation... my best friend is starting there and she said they actually have a dance.
Can you imagine....? With a girl/guy ration of like 3:1 or more.... that's just begging for junior high levels of awkwardness :D

i'm assuming you can't bring your significant other b/c the point is for the students to socialize and get to know each other...how awkward! a dance for a group of people that don't know each other??? lol. that should be interesting. i'd like to hear how it goes from the new UF class. :)

Aside from the normal lectures on animal use, debt, career counseling ect. CSU orientation also involves an overnight retreat at Pingree Park. From what I understand there will be lots of storytelling, karaoke, campfires and team building events (ie ropes courses). As dorky as this may sound I am really excited, it is almost like summer camp! They tell you not to bring any electronics because there is no cell service or internet.

My only concern is that the retreat center is at 9,000 feet elevation. Seeing that I live at sea level right now and will only be in Colorado 5 days before orientatation....I am very worried about making a fool out of myself by coming down with high altitude sickness! For the next four years I don't want to be known as the girl that puked throughout orientation :laugh:

When we return from the retreat there is an oath and passages ceremony which also seems pretty cool.

I am curious to hear about what other schools do for orientation.

Philomycus, have fun at the dance!!! I am assuming that since it is on campus, no alcoholic beverages will be served. Should be fun :rolleyes:!!! Maybe you should make one of those vet school videos at the dance and put in on youtube for all to see!!!:D

Last edited:

Are they having a dance at orientation or do you mean they have a dance during the year sometime? It seems like it would be awkward if they were holding a dance during orientation.

But most schools have a a social sometime during the year that's usually referred to as the "vet school prom" which is realllly fun at UT (here it's called the "Half-way to Clinics Party" and is a celebration for the 2nd year students, but everyone in the college can come, including faculty). Here it's a sit down dinner with alcohol provided and dancing and is held usually at a nice restaurant with a banquet area or banquet hall. You can bring a date, and by then you know all your classmates so it is actually really fun.

Suggestion: keep your full time job until the day before class starts. A friend of mine got out of these at UT because she had a full time job with a schedule that did not allow her to attend. :smuggrin:

I do try.

That's impressive that she got out of orientation for a job...I go to UT and a guy in my class got married on one day of orientation and still couldn't get out of it. He went to orientation in the morning and made it out just in time to get married...To be fair, I'm not sure if they required him to come or if he just felt compelled, but I find it hard to believe he would have come to the ropes course on his wedding day if he wasn't told he had to.

Also, a girl in my class had a brother getting married on an orientation day, and they told her that she still had to come to orientation. So, she couldn't go to her brother's wedding (she was told she could not miss that day or orientation).

Oh, and one girl had a baby like 3 days before orientation, and brought her newborn all swaddled up to the orientation activities (she did get to leave a little early though).

Don't get me wrong, I love UT, but they are pretty strict about coming to the orientation stuff. Understandably so though, because even though it's corny (and I HATE corny...) it's really part of the experience and you really do get to know your classmates.

Philomycus, have fun at the dance!!! I am assuming that since it is on campus, no alcoholic beverages will be served.

I once again reiterate, yipiee. Yeah, but you guys are SOOOOO gonna owe me.... :D

Aside from the normal lectures on animal use, debt, career counseling ect. CSU orientation also involves an overnight retreat at Pingree Park. From what I understand there will be lots of storytelling, karaoke, campfires and team building events (ie ropes courses). As dorky as this may sound I am really excited, it is almost like summer camp! They tell you not to bring any electronics because there is no cell service or internet.

My only concern is that the retreat center is at 9,000 feet elevation. Seeing that I live at sea level right now and will only be in Colorado 5 days before orientatation....I am very worried about making a fool out of myself by coming down with high altitude sickness! For the next four years I don't want to be known as the girl that puked throughout orientation :laugh:

When we return from the retreat there is an oath and passages ceremony which also seems pretty cool.

I am curious to hear about what other schools do for orientation.

That does sound fun!!!! UF has a retreat too.... hopefully the dance is the last night?

And it was explained to me as being during orientation, not the formal later in the year (which I am looking forward to too if Penn has them :))

We know nothing about our orientation... not even the times. Just the dates... Aug 25-27. But I can think of some great "team-building" activities in West Philly... the classmates who survive will be like this:xf:!

We know nothing about our orientation... not even the times. Just the dates... Aug 25-27. But I can think of some great "team-building" activities in West Philly... the classmates who survive will be like this:xf:!

Judging by yesterday's mailing, we'll be learning how to use our microscopes and optimize our library resources while the CSU kids frolic around on the high ropes course. I'm jealous!

Judging by yesterday's mailing, we'll be learning how to use our microscopes and optimize our library resources while the CSU kids frolic around on the high ropes course. I'm jealous!

I know, where's the corny getting to know you activities??! And I was still secretly hoping for some sort of retreat...

I'm a happily taken man... That said, I am a notorious flirt (something my g/f lol's at), but in the South, being a flirt (even an innocent one) can land you in quite a bit of trouble.

Depends on your definition of techie. If you mean theatre techie then yes we exist. I did stage managing and set construction.

Sorry eatpink, I can't say I am jealous about the microscope orientation but you would be surprised how many vet students can't use a microscope! As for the library resources, that sounds AWFUL!

you would be surprised how many vet students can't use a microscope! As for the library resources, that sounds AWFUL!

That makes me feel so much better. I just got done reading the co 2013's bio pages, and they all seem like Sumstorm "After I cured the elephand who was suffering from Black-RhinoeEnchephalitis-C I made my way to the orphanage"... I mean, these people all seem like bad-asses... with LARGE ANIMAL EXPERIENCE... I am not 100% sure I know the difference between a goat and sheep.

I hope some of these LA show offs don't have basic lab skills... cuz I am starting to develop an inferiority complex

LOL. Anyone with the desire and some funds (not much, Thailand is cheap) could work on the jumbo express.

I can read a microscope, but my weakness is ticks. Can't stand them, my husband has heard me scream like a girl when one was on me (not attached) and thrash around like the newest head banger on the block. Leeches and other parasites don't bother me, but ticks make my skin crawl, stomach drop, and heart pound.

They probably think the same thing when they see that you have (or are soon to have) a PhD, I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

I am going to try to keep the PhD thing on the down low... I mean, imagine having a PhD in Biochem and Molecular Biology, then struggling to pull a B in the class... ergh!

Bad enough 2 of my committee members will be my prof. in vet school...

I can ID them....AFTER they are preserved, not when they are wiggling. ugh

Quit whining, you guys. Would you rather be sitting at home fine-tuning your personal statement because you didn't get in last time?

Just a little perspective for ya. ;)

Uhhh-NOPE!

Thanks 12....Totally put things back in to perspective for me. ;)

Lol! Happy to help with my completely innocent and helpful comment (with no undertones of jealousy whatsoever). :)

I think OkSU does a ropes course. And in August, it's like 100 F out there. Is that worse than a dance, or no?