Alternate List at NSUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Albah

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I have been placed on the alternate list at NSUCOM and I was wondering if anyone knows... what are the chances of getting in?
I am a bit worried because this is my #1 school. They have a non- ranking system so I won't get reviewed again until the end of the application process.
Thanks ;)
Albah

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Alba,

I am curious as to when you interviewed. If you dont mind, what are the toughest questions they asked you. As for the alternate list, I hope you get in!! Good luck!!

Albah,

I know this guy who applied last year to Nova and was put on the waiting/alternate list. He's applying for 2003 and said his file is still open with DO admissions at Nova. He told me that the NSU-COM admissions are on a rolling basis (I never understood what that means). Probably means that they receive 2000 applications, then they send 800 or so secondary apps. and then ask 200-250 people to come interview with them. Nova's class size has been 180 students, but there have been exceptions to that rule. The 2001 M1 class has 238 students, because many people are supposed to drop out from Nova to go to their primary school of choice, and that time it didn't happen. You're right that once all the people have been accepted, that is when the fate of alternate listees is decided upon.
I will keep you posted on what is happening to that guy. He currently told me he's gonna interview in dec. with Nova. Don't lose hope/faith, but keep checking with Admissions and apply to other schools as a back up.
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies. :)

Rolling basis basically means that as secondary applications come into the school, the admissions committee begins to select people for interviews and then accepts/rejects/waitlists soon after the interview. So it is greatly recommended to turn in applications ASAP.

I interviewed on October 14. My interview was not easy, especially since the MCAT was a hot topic.
These are some of the questions they asked me:
1. Why is your BS score on the MCAT a bit low considering that
you are a biology major?
2. Why do you want to become an osteopathic physician?
3. Would you consider retaking the MCAT?
4. Did you take any prep course for the MCAT?
5. What do you think is the difference between MD and DO? (in
reference to the DO I shadowed)
6. What do you think would be the most difficult thing about
being a physician?

Hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck! ;)

Please dont' quote me, because I'm not positive that this is true, but I'm pretty sure that Nova doesn't take off the waitlist. They were still interviewing for our class (2006) into July this year because they didn't have enough out of state students to fill the class. We all thought that was a little bizarre, but it's apparently what happened. Again, I'm not positive, and I would recommend calling the admissions office to ask about the number of people that they usually take off of the waiting list each year.

Best of luck to you, I hope I'm wrong. :D