Alternate list at SIU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redruby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just placed on the Alternate list at Southern IL. I was never invited to fill out a secondary, so I guess this is based on my MCAT (31O) and my gpa (cum- 3.5, science- 3.3) Now, I know these are not the world's greatest stats, but SIU isn't known for having killer stats either.

I'm sort of freaking out now- I know the process can be random, but I thought I'd at least get an interview there. I've heard they accept people who are primarily from southern/rural IL b/c they want people to stick around after graduation... Anybody else with decent stats get put on the Alternate list from the Chicago-metro area?

This is the first I've heard from a school since getting MCAT scores back!! I hope the other schools I applied to don't have the same response!

Members don't see this ad.

redruby said:
I was just placed on the Alternate list at Southern IL. I was never invited to fill out a secondary, so I guess this is based on my MCAT (31O) and my gpa (cum- 3.5, science- 3.3) Now, I know these are not the world's greatest stats, but SIU isn't known for having killer stats either.

I'm sort of freaking out now- I know the process can be random, but I thought I'd at least get an interview there. I've heard they accept people who are primarily from southern/rural IL b/c they want people to stick around after graduation... Anybody else with decent stats get put on the Alternate list from the Chicago-metro area?

This is the first I've heard from a school since getting MCAT scores back!! I hope the other schools I applied to don't have the same response!

My friend and me are on that list too. I got the letter today :mad:

Yeah Im form Chicago too and they waitlisted me with a 28 O and 3.7 science and overall. They dont like us city folk

Members don't see this ad :)
MADSTAB said:
Yeah Im form Chicago too and they waitlisted me with a 28 O and 3.7 science and overall. They dont like us city folk
I'm from southern Illinois and I just got the shank from SIU today. I've been waitlisted as well, though unlike the OP, I got an interview there. My stats are in my mdapplicants profile.

At this point, SIU does not accept any students. I interviewed there in Sept, and I also received a letter saying that I will be accepted when space is available. If you received this letter, all it means is that you will be admitted when the adcom sends out acceptances - end of november, january, or march.

MiniPri said:
At this point, SIU does not accept any students. I interviewed there in Sept, and I also received a letter saying that I will be accepted when space is available. If you received this letter, all it means is that you will be admitted when the adcom sends out acceptances - end of november, january, or march.
Here's what mine says...
We have designated your status as ACCEPT WHEN PLACE AVAILABLE. The School opens seats in batches and offers batch acceptances to applicants from this category in November, January, and March. Thereafter, acceptances are offered as openings become available. Acceptance is not guaranteed for applicants in this category (emphasis mine) but there is a good probability that an acceptance will be offered before classes begin in August.​

Seems like I got waitlisted to me...

Hmmm, well mine is worse done any waitlist or alternate list... I already threw the letter out, but it says that I'm on the "Alternate Hold" list, where students are not ranked, and emphasized that I will most likely not be accepted, but hey, keep my fingers crossed. What the hell? They couldn't straight up reject me, but just warn that I'll probably get rejected later?

redruby said:
Hmmm, well mine is worse done any waitlist or alternate list... I already threw the letter out, but it says that I'm on the "Alternate Hold" list, where students are not ranked, and emphasized that I will most likely not be accepted, but hey, keep my fingers crossed. What the hell? They couldn't straight up reject me, but just warn that I'll probably get rejected later?
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I had it worse than you or anything. It does suck to get a non-rejection rejection like that.

What is up with their letters, though? They never seem to come right out and say anything directly. Your "Alternate Hold" rejection nonsense, my "Accept when place available" waitlist letter. Can't they just be straight with us? We're adults, we can handle it.

Good luck with the rest of your applications!

I feel your pain....

I really dont know what SIU is thinking....i have a 32R on the MCAT and 4.00 science and 3.79 overall GPA, and I live in southern IL.... and I got the "diss" letter too....."waitlisted before interview....very low chances" SIU: you guys are not Harvard!

I was also told (pre-secondary) of my status as a "screener's alternate." Chicago (suburb) resident, with five years of cancer research background, 3.9 Grad GPA and 32Q.

Oh well.