UCF vs SIU vs Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school

• UCF

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • SIU

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Albany

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters

frogluver

Reaction score
Hi all! I need help deciding between these three schools. I only have a few days to decide, which is very difficult. A little about me. I'm LGBT, so having a location with opportunities to engage in the LGBT community/meet others is really important to me.

SIU (southern Illinois) (295k COA total)
Pros
  • Most comfortable option because I am familiar with the area
  • Solid match list for midwest area
  • Pass fail
  • Very low stress I have heard
  • Has a lot of nice home matches (however I may not want to stay in Illinois)
  • Smallest class size (pro or con)
  • Closest to family
Cons
  • Not the most glamorous location, worried about the LGBT aspect
  • Not a very competitive school (could be a pro)
  • Research might be harder to come by
University of Central Florida OOS (226k tuition + living expenses for four years)
Pros
  • Arguably a better location than SIU
  • Has really amazing matches
  • FIRE program emphasizes research for all students
  • The communication with admissions was really transparent and made me like the school
Cons
  • Rotations throughout Florida
  • Newer
  • Not as many home programs
  • Graded A,B,C,D etc. (My biggest worry)
Albany Medical College (233k tuition + living expenses for four years)
Pros
  • Something about upstate NY makes me feel cozy (never have visited though)
  • Great home hospital compared to the other two schools
  • Lots of east coast matches if I am wanting to get out of the Midwest
  • Graded with a modified pass fail
  • Had a great time talking with the students on interview day
  • Overall seems like a really great community driven medical school that really cares about students
Cons
  • Maybe not the most prestigious but neither are the other two schools
  • Albany may also have the small town vibe, not as big as Orlando, but also I like small towns sometimes
  • Facilities look older, maybe not as pretty as Orlando, but I would say comparable look to SIU

Overall, its a hard decision. The new facilities and nice location in Florida would be amazing these next four years, but will it be worth it to deal with traveling rotations and graded classes?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No, I do not think it would be worth it for UCF. Either of the other 2 would be better options, with Albany providing an opportunity to leave the state. If you are familiar with the area of SIU and have family close by, it would be the least stressful environment, even after factoring in the LGBT aspect. The state of FL has been in the news more with concerns for the LGBT community.

Upstate NY is a beautiful area although you would do well to have a car (or a friend with a car!) to fully appreciate it. And NY state will be definitely the most LGBTQ friendly of your choices. You can also get trains down to NYC, 2.5 hirs direct. Super easy.

Hi all! I need help deciding between these three schools. I only have a few days to decide, which is very difficult. A little about me. I'm LGBT, so having a location with opportunities to engage in the LGBT community/meet others is really important to me.

SIU (southern Illinois) (295k COA total)
Pros
  • Most comfortable option because I am familiar with the area
  • Solid match list for midwest area
  • Pass fail
  • Very low stress I have heard
  • Has a lot of nice home matches (however I may not want to stay in Illinois)
  • Smallest class size (pro or con)
  • Closest to family
Cons
  • Not the most glamorous location, worried about the LGBT aspect
  • Not a very competitive school (could be a pro)
  • Research might be harder to come by
University of Central Florida OOS (226k tuition + living expenses for four years)
Pros
  • Arguably a better location than SIU
  • Has really amazing matches
  • FIRE program emphasizes research for all students
  • The communication with admissions was really transparent and made me like the school
Cons
  • Rotations throughout Florida
  • Newer
  • Not as many home programs
  • Graded A,B,C,D etc. (My biggest worry)
Albany Medical College (233k tuition + living expenses for four years)
Pros
  • Something about upstate NY makes me feel cozy (never have visited though)
  • Great home hospital compared to the other two schools
  • Lots of east coast matches if I am wanting to get out of the Midwest
  • Graded with a modified pass fail
  • Had a great time talking with the students on interview day
  • Overall seems like a really great community driven medical school that really cares about students
Cons
  • Maybe not the most prestigious but neither are the other two schools
  • Albany may also have the small town vibe, not as big as Orlando, but also I like small towns sometimes
  • Facilities look older, maybe not as pretty as Orlando, but I would say comparable look to SIU

Overall, its a hard decision. The new facilities and nice location in Florida would be amazing these next four years, but will it be worth it to deal with traveling rotations and graded classes?
Regarding prestige: you might be surprised. Albany Medical College is nearly 200 years old. Graduates have won Lasker Awards. I can name more than a few alumni who are full professors at Harvard, Yale, and Hopkins right now. The President of Brigham and Womens is a graduate, as is U. of Michigan's Edward Bove (one of the greatest living pediatric cardiac surgeons in the world). You get the idea.

Last edited: