Alternative career ideas for pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metformin800

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I graduated last year been working for retail chain but I have been debating to get out of pharmacy all together. I have 275 K debt and I already paid down 100 K so I have about 175 K left. Debt is not issue as I have no other bills. I have been wanting to get out of pharmacy if possible. I don’t want to go to college again so I am looking to find If there are any other career avenue pharmacist can take without going to school for it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So you have no interest in utilizing your freshly minted pharmacy degree?

I would advise looking through previous discussions on this forum. This topic has been covered extensively. I am not saying there are good answers there. But if you want to get out of pharmacy, it becomes non pharmacy specific question.

Hi all,

I graduated last year been working for retail chain but I have been debating to get out of pharmacy all together. I have 275 K debt and I already paid down 100 K so I have about 175 K left. Debt is not issue as I have no other bills. I have been wanting to get out of pharmacy if possible. I don’t want to go to college again so I am looking to find If there are any other career avenue pharmacist can take without going to school for it.
Academics, you can teach courses at a community/junior college (also tutoring and/or high school). Medical writing, although this one is hard to break into. You can look into coding boot camps which aren't necessarily college courses and are affordable. Perhaps some type of consulting depending on your background and training. Pharmaceutical sales.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Having a background in technology has proved quite handy/payed off.....A lot of RPhs were focused on attaining MBAs to separate themselves (ironically, a lot of these mid-manager positions have been cut back severely). Any kind of technology based skill set is going to be the way of the future for pharmacists (automation, training with machinery/robots, computer coding, etc.) as more of the mundane, repetitive work becomes taken care of through automation (still helps to know how to do for understanding the workflow).

Reactions: 1 users
I was looking into getting an ice cream truck. Who doesn't love ice cream?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I have said it over and over and over and over... If you want to get a comparable job salary wise (about a 15% decrease) - look into nursing home administration.

we are qualified education wise, and most of us have the skills to lead a team. I have looked into this myself and have started plugging away at my shadow hours. Do yourself a favor and look into this. I have felt much more comfortable with this as a backup.

I have said it over and over and over and over... If you want to get a comparable job salary wise (about a 15% decrease) - look into nursing home administration.

we are qualified education wise, and most of us have the skills to lead a team. I have looked into this myself and have started plugging away at my shadow hours. Do yourself a favor and look into this. I have felt much more comfortable with this as a backup.
That is actually a really good idea. I have known quite a few nurses now who became nursing home directors (some that didn't even have much experience). If an RN can do it, why not a pharmacist?

• Haha

What are qualifications to get one of these jobs?

Depends on what other skills and knowledge that you have. I think it’s much easier to try to switch to a different segment of pharmacy or go part time than to get out of the profession all together.

What are qualifications to get one of these jobs?

masters level degree and ability to manage a team is all really. If you have experience in LTC as a pharmacist that is a plus but not mandatory at all

the PharmD degree is pretty useless outside of retail or Hospital

Members don't see this ad :)

I will look into it. Thanks

Depends on what other skills and knowledge that you have. I think it’s much easier to try to switch to a different segment of pharmacy or go part time than to get out of the profession all together.
I think I may still Work as part time or PRN but i want to find new full time career.

True but I have not seen many ice cream truck this days tbh.

All the more reason to get one. I always see people in my neighborhood FB page asking when it will come by.

masters level degree and ability to manage a team is all really. If you have experience in LTC as a pharmacist that is a plus but not mandatory at all

Definitely helps for those with years of leadership/management experience. Turnover is rampant in the SNF setting due to lower pay. Administrator is definitely a tough job though where you pretty much have to be on call 24/7 to put out fires, etc. Another factor to consider is the administrator and director of nursing relationship as the two work heavily together. Who you have as your partner will either make or break you.

Nursing home administrator. I never thought of a pharmacist doing that. I checked out the requirements in my state, 2 licensing exams are required. BS or BA in any major qualifies someone to take the exams. People with just a high school diploma can take it after completely 4 approved college courses in nursing home subjects. Plus one must have 2 years as a DON or assistant administrator in an IL nursing home.
So, it would be theoretically doable, but one would first have to get hired as an assistant administrator, and I imagine the competition against nurses for that job would be intense.

Nursing home administrator. I never thought of a pharmacist doing that. I checked out the requirements in my state, 2 licensing exams are required. BS or BA in any major qualifies someone to take the exams. People with just a high school diploma can take it after completely 4 approved college courses in nursing home subjects. Plus one must have 2 years as a DON or assistant administrator in an IL nursing home.
So, it would be theoretically doable, but one would first have to get hired as an assistant administrator, and I imagine the competition against nurses for that job would be intense.

A little different in my state. I have already taken the licensure exams and they are so easy. I had to become familiar with about 600 pages of CMS regulations (which is very easy) and the 4 college courses on nursing home is not mandatory in my state. However I would venture to guess taking these courses and getting a C or higher in one semester would be quite easy.

The “assistant administrator thing” is also extremely subjective. I have a professional peer who is allowing me to complete 200 shadowing hours with him and their corporation is labeling it as an “volunteer assistant administrator”. It’s all been very easy to get into.

The demand for an administrator is not through the roof, but it is very strong. I have a close relationship with about 10 different administrators at nursing homes and the competition is not heavy at all. In fact, when they quit they have to hire agency to fill the position interim.

I’m not blowing smoke up anyone’s rear here - nursing home administration is very obtainable for anyone here with leadership skills. I, myself, am almost there.

The amount of turnover in nursing home administration is INSANE. I have literally lost count of all of the DON‘s and ADON‘s that I have met. Literally a new one will start and go on and on about how she has a minimum two-year contract and the position won’t be turned over blah blah blah six months later the position is vacant.

I am not saying the job is bad (I have no idea if it is good or bad) just that the demand does indeed seem solid based on how long it takes those positions to get filled.

A little different in my state. I have already taken the licensure exams and they are so easy. I had to become familiar with about 600 pages of CMS regulations (which is very easy) and the 4 college courses on nursing home is not mandatory in my state. However I would venture to guess taking these courses and getting a C or higher in one semester would be quite easy.

The “assistant administrator thing” is also extremely subjective. I have a professional peer who is allowing me to complete 200 shadowing hours with him and their corporation is labeling it as an “volunteer assistant administrator”. It’s all been very easy to get into.

The demand for an administrator is not through the roof, but it is very strong. I have a close relationship with about 10 different administrators at nursing homes and the competition is not heavy at all. In fact, when they quit they have to hire agency to fill the position interim.

I’m not blowing smoke up anyone’s rear here - nursing home administration is very obtainable for anyone here with leadership skills. I, myself, am almost there.
200 hours of free labor is a lot. I hope it works out for you.

200 hours of free labor is a lot. I hope it works out for you.

200 hours over the course of a year is nothing to me to obtain the emotional satisfaction of having a viable backup plan. It just is what it is. In all reality though - it’s not exactly “labor”, I spend most of my time just participating in whatever is going on in the facility. One night I covered for a facility cook and prepared food for the residents. It was fun.... Have you ever used a salad shooter? No - well I have and it changed my life. And when it’s over, I will have expanded my options instead of creating road blocks.

I have no regrets about not getting paid for 200 hours... And of course it will work out. I’m not even committed to making this move yet. I simply want the option to walk if I want to walk.

Living life in a constant state of “check-mate” is no way to live.

Last edited:
More productive than 200 hours of Dynasty Mode in NCAA Football 05

More productive than 200 hours of Dynasty Mode in NCAA Football 05
those 200 hours of entertainment are not the same thing has 200 hours of free labor. Now if you enjoy volunteering than its worth it. Just don't expect those hours to lead to anything.

• Okay...
200 hours over the course of a year is nothing to me to obtain the emotional satisfaction of having a viable backup plan. It just is what it is. In all reality though - it’s not exactly “labor”, I spend most of my time just participating in whatever is going on in the facility. One night I covered for a facility cook and prepared food for the residents. It was fun.... Have you ever used a salad shooter? No - well I have and it changed my life. And when it’s over, I will have expanded my options instead of creating road blocks.

I have no regrets about not getting paid for 200 hours... And of course it will work out. I’m not even committed to making this move yet. I simply want the option to walk if I want to walk.

Living life in a constant state of “check-mate” is no way to live.
Is there any agreement that it will lead to anything? I agree if you enjoy it its worth it. I used to volunteer at a hospital in college like many pre health students and did enjoy it even though I left the health field altogether.

Is there any agreement that it will lead to anything? I agree if you enjoy it its worth it. I used to volunteer at a hospital in college like many pre health students and did enjoy it even though I left the health field altogether.

there does not need to be any agreement. If, when I’m done, I want to pursue a job as a nursing home administrator I will simply just do that. This is how jobs work outside of pharmacy. We tend to forget this... We (as pharmacists) live in a world where we kiss a** so hard that they might agree to hire us when their a** is covered in lipstick. The rest of the world does not work that way.

those 200 hours of entertainment are not the same thing has 200 hours of free labor. Now if you enjoy volunteering than its worth it. Just don't expect those hours to lead to anything.

Well - what I expect the 200 hours to lead to is up to me. Not you, or anyone else involved. This is my thing and I would not be doing it if I did not have a good handle on what I forecast the outcomes to be. Do I enjoy volunteering? Not really.... But this is Not about that...

One of the problems I see in my community of peers is the “roadblock mentality”.

Last edited:
I don’t even know what a salad shooter is but it does sound fun, if not life changing.

Haha - it’s a piece of equipment you put salad ingredients into a input on the top and a perfectly shredded salad comes shooting out of the output. After learning how to use one that night I immediately went and bought one for my family.

At this point I’m bothering my entire family because I have to add a salad, perfectly prepared from my new salad shooter, to every meal. It’s kinda driving my wife nuts.

Salad shooters were a big thing in the 90s.

Was there any agreement you would get a job, when you paid tuition your last year of school for the privilege of getting a year's worth of clinical experience? 200 hours of volunteer work to qualify one for a new category of jobs is very reasonable (and cheap!) compared to everything else people do to qualify for a new category of jobs.
The amount of turnover in nursing home administration is INSANE. I have literally lost count of all of the DON‘s and ADON‘s that I have met. Literally a new one will start and go on and on about how she has a minimum two-year contract and the position won’t be turned over blah blah blah six months later the position is vacant.

I am not saying the job is bad (I have no idea if it is good or bad) just that the demand does indeed seem solid based on how long it takes those positions to get filled.

Interesting, I had no idea the turn-over was so high. Definitely sounds like a reasonable job for a pharmacist who can't get a job as a pharmacist, or who doesn't want to work as a pharmacist.

The way to go would be to get an in or volunteer at US Post Office (in the physical location, not doing deliveries). If it leads to a job there, you'll be set.

Well, an idea from an inquiring customer...door to door vaccinator...><. If someone asks for it, I'm sure there is a market for it....only in "MaRe-Cuuh"

This is a good idea. I actually really like it for the covid vaccine... wonder if this could be worked out quickly with legal considerations.

in fact - what is stopping us from contacting distributors independently and setting up our own drive in vaccinations?

Wonder if this would be profitable....

1619106731975.png
1619106910148.png
1619106790772.png

This is like so stupid, but something like this would totally work for healthy people 2030

Reactions: 4 users
Seriously, Plumbing and Electrical work... Pay is great... have you had a plumber repair something in your house??

Honestly I don't see any career as bad as pharmacyb at the present time.

The ROI isn't there.

What you learn in school is mostly useless and the cost of education is unjustifiably high and not worth it. The job market has been saturated for years and this has led to a decline in salary. Employers will overwork and attempt to abuse you. The career itself doesn't have any real perks to it. Stress levels can be unbelievably high. Long shifts without any formal breaks. Business opportunities don't really exist unless you are involved in some kind of fraud or place a high pricetag on narcotics and controls. Respect level clearly isn't there.

I can't honestly think of a single positive aspect of pharmacy. The fact that pharmacist can't even protect their own profession says it all. No other health profession has allowed itself to be completely abused and defeated. Hell I've seen technicians being more valued by employers than pharmacists.

Reactions: 3 users
How about we rephrase the question to "What non pharmacist jobs can you get with a PharmD degree?"

All this talk from the 140+ ACPE accredited pharmacy programs shouting from the ivory tower rooftops about how versatile a PharmD degree is lol

Seriously, Plumbing and Electrical work... Pay is great... have you had a plumber repair something in your house??

I've paid close to 20k for plumbing and electrical work in the past 2 years. It costs $300 just for them to show up at your house, if you can even get them to come.

I've paid close to 20k for plumbing and electrical work in the past 2 years. It costs $300 just for them to show up at your house, if you can even get them to come.
These are the fields to be in now. There is demand, education is far cheaper than any college degree (in fact paid), and cannot outsource. Jobs do have risks and one would not want to be installing in their 50s and 60s. Actually considered leaving pharmacy for electrical. HVAC in demand as well.

I suggest you explore a career in data analytics in healthcare industry. Although, I have not found any specific job that requires you to be a pharm.d. Data science is not a new field but become popular recently for a number of reasons. I found that pharmacy does not employ machine learning much and this is where there are many rooms to grow.

These are the fields to be in now. There is demand, education is far cheaper than any college degree (in fact paid), and cannot outsource. Jobs do have risks and one would not want to be installing in their 50s and 60s. Actually considered leaving pharmacy for electrical. HVAC in demand as well.

I paid an electrician $600 to install two C wires to power my Nest thermostats. Cost more than the thermostats and totally got ripped off but I couldn't get anyone else to show up.

I suggest you explore a career in data analytics in healthcare industry. Although, I have not found any specific job that requires you to be a pharm.d. Data science is not a new field but become popular recently for a number of reasons. I found that pharmacy does not employ machine learning much and this is where there are many rooms to grow.

It’s been a while since you mentioned your move to Barrow (now Utqiagvik), Alaska. How are you doing now?

It’s been a while since you mentioned your move to Barrow (now Utqiagvik), Alaska. How are you doing now?
I am doing great. I paid off my student loan. While working fulltime, I went back to school doing an MBA and MS in a machine learning-related field and was hired by big government. I also own a rental real estate business with multiple houses and not to mention I paid off my house mortgage as well. So, my trip to Alaska was the right choice that I made.

Last edited:
I paid an electrician $600 to install two C wires to power my Nest thermostats. Cost more than the thermostats and totally got ripped off but I couldn't get anyone else to show up.
yep. I am trying to get a black splash installed in my kitchen. can't get anyone to come. I probably going to have to overpay with who ever I got with. Not sure why more people don't consider trades instead of pharmacy. 90% of pharmacists only got in because of the money. Now that its not there anymore, there are way better options.

yep. I am trying to get a black splash installed in my kitchen. can't get anyone to come. I probably going to have to overpay with who ever I got with. Not sure why more people don't consider trades instead of pharmacy. 90% of pharmacists only got in because of the money. Now that its not there anymore, there are way better options.

Backsplash should be easy. Any handyman, floor person or painter can do it.