O
ordinaryguy
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I saw a PBS program last night on alternative medicine such as acupuncture and was quite intrigued. I do believe that there should be more regulation to ensure safety and effectiveness because the cost for consumer can be quite high. There was this case of this gentleman with pancreatic cancer that went to see a Dr. in New York about an alternative medical treatment. He had to pay around $2800 for just one session. In all, I believe that some alternative medicine works, but there are many unknowns. Many drugs, like dietary supplements, are not studied and regulated. Many treatments have not been proven effective. I hope that one day, research can be done to give the public information on what is safe and effective and what is not. Also, the herbs that are effective, maybe we can purify the chemicals that are beneficial. I think the health community should keep an open mind and think that some things that alternative medicine offers might actually work. I believe that in terms of medical fields (allopathic and osteopathic) should work in conjunction with alternative medicine to provide the patient the best, most comprehensive health care possible.
