Alternative paths to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JacksonInTheBox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am a Junior undergrad and med school is a definite goal for me but I do not believe my application will be strong enough by the time I plan to start the application process this summer so I am considering holding off. I was wondering what I could do after I graduate to strenghten my app. I prefer to stay in school and my family doctor suggested that I consider a Masters of Public Health program. Does anyone have any thoughts about this or any other program.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

I am a Junior undergrad and med school is a definite goal for me but I do not believe my application will be strong enough by the time I plan to start the application process this summer so I am considering holding off. I was wondering what I could do after I graduate to strenghten my app. I prefer to stay in school and my family doctor suggested that I consider a Masters of Public Health program. Does anyone have any thoughts about this or any other program.

hey there... yeah go up to the search function and type in Masters of public health. There is a lot of info on that topic. Best of luck.

Hi

What are your stats right now??

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking the same as you during my junior year, but I ended up giving it a shot in the current cycle and fared way better than I thought I would. Don't completely discount anything yet. What are your stats like?

An MPH won't strengthen a weak academic record, if that's what you're trying to improve. The coursework isn't considered comparably rigorous to med school.

If your GPA is under 3.0, then you need to take more undergrad coursework and show a strong upward trend. You can also look into an SMP, special masters program (or "medical masters"), where you do a year of graduate biomed (preferably side-by-side with a first year med school class). This, in theory, demonstrates that your undergrad record isn't who you are. More info on this kind of program is in the postbac forum.

Here are my stats

Overall GPA: 3.43
Science GPA: 3.53

I havent taken the MCAT yet was planning on taking it this May.

For EC's I have done chemistry research for a whole summer, I have around 500 hrs of volunteer work with Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles Medical Center and shadowing of a surgeon there as well. who I am also publishing an article with. I am volunteer with an adult rehabilitation clinic teaching health classes. I am a tutor in Kinesiology at my college. I also have non-medical related activites like playing intercollegiate football and volunteer work with a national nonprofit organization.

Thanks for the help

Your app is very competitive for DO schools, and if you weren't in California you'd have a good shot at your state's MD school(s). Just get a good MCAT score - DON'T TAKE THE TEST UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO SCORE WELL.

Also:
1. Start working on your personal statement NOW.
2. Start working on letters of recommendation NOW.

Bet of luck to you.

Here are my stats

For EC's I have done chemistry research for a whole summer, I have around 500 hrs of volunteer work with Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles Medical Center and shadowing of a surgeon there as well. who I am also publishing an article with. I am volunteer with an adult rehabilitation clinic teaching health classes. I am a tutor in Kinesiology at my college. I also have non-medical related activites like playing intercollegiate football and volunteer work with a national nonprofit organization.

Thanks for the help

I don't think post-bacc should be the first thing on your mind, you're gpa is not too shabby. A good MCAT score (nearing 30 or even above 30 if you can manage it!) will do wonders for you. Like mid-life said, take it when you are ready. I was guilty of jumping the gun and hoping to do better than my AAMC practice tests, but didn't. I scored on the lower end of what I was getting in Kaplan. The AAMC tests are a good estimate of where you are likely to be scoring. Work your little hieny off for a few months using kaplan or exam krackers and do the very best you possibly can. A good MCAT will make your application a really solid one that adcoms will set aside for interviews.

my 2cents

PS I agree with midlife on the california school thing HOWEVER, if you get a 30+ MCAT, I would apply to some cal-schools just for the heck of it. Sometimes they like you as a person and can see past things like a slightly below average gpa. Look at ryserr21, he has about average MD matriculant gpa and a sub 30 MCAT. He's been accepted to UC Irvine in the fall! Its worth a shot. This is all assuming you are a cal-resident of course.

Last edited:
I don't think post-bacc should be the first thing on your mind, you're gpa is not too shabby. A good MCAT score (nearing 30 or even above 30 if you can manage it!) will do wonders for you. Like mid-life said, take it when you are ready. I was guilty of jumping the gun and hoping to do better than my AAMC practice tests, but didn't. I scored on the lower end of what I was getting in Kaplan. The AAMC tests are a good estimate of where you are likely to be scoring. Work your little hieny off for a few months using kaplan or exam krackers and do the very best you possibly can. A good MCAT will make your application a really solid one that adcoms will set aside for interviews.

my 2cents

PS I agree with midlife on the california school thing HOWEVER, if you get a 30+ MCAT, I would apply to some cal-schools just for the heck of it. Sometimes they like you as a person and can see past things like a slightly below average gpa. Look at ryserr21, he has about average MD matriculant gpa and a sub 30 MCAT. He's been accepted to UC Irvine in the fall! Its worth a shot. This is all assuming you are a cal-resident of course.

haha, thats funny that you pointed me out. JacksonInTheBox is actually me roomate up at school. Ive been trying to convince him to post on SDN, just so you all could tell him what I have been telling him for the last few months. I think he's going to absolutely crush the MCAT. He was getting more questions right than I was when I was the one studying for the exam last year. He also helped me survive ochem. He's a really smart dude, just sometimes too modest. I was hoping you guys would help boost his confidence and back up what I have been telling him all along.... and you all didnt let me down!

haha, thats funny that you pointed me out. JacksonInTheBox is actually me roomate up at school. Ive been trying to convince him to post on SDN, just so you all could tell him what I have been telling him for the last few months. I think he's going to absolutely crush the MCAT. He was getting more questions right than I was when I was the one studying for the exam last year. He also helped me survive ochem. He's a really smart dude, just sometimes too modest. I was hoping you guys would help boost his confidence and back up what I have been telling him all along.... and you all didnt let me down!

:laugh:
That makes me smile.

Don't be modest in this process. You can go really far if you just put yourself out there. It doesn't always work that way, but I definitely say this from my experience this round. I might have been a little more bold in applying to reach schools if I knew what I know now.

Destroy that MCAT!!

Here are my stats

Thanks for the help

Look at my stats. You have about the same overall gpa as me but .1 higher sGPA, and if I got in somewhere you can too. Plus you have next semester to (hopefully) raise your gpa up further. You look like a competitive applicant. Hit a 30 on the MCAT and you should be solid for c/o 2014.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I really appreciate it. Im sure I'll have a lot more questions soon.

Aren't roommates great?