Alternative Spring Break

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnesthesiaMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How will it look to an admissions comittee if I go on just one ASB experience trip prior to application? I recently decided to go to medical school and have started volunteering already and really want to go on an ASB trip with my school next spring.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do it because of that. In the words of Nike, "Just do it!" I've done two trips now and I feel that they have been the most influential volunteer experiences I've had. I feel they may even outrank medical volunteerism. I've got high convictions about them and feel everyone should atleast do one.

I'm not sure if your "just" is justified.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, do it because it will be an amazing experience, not just so it'll look good on your applications. I went on one this past spring and it was a lot more influential for me than I could've guessed going in.

Don't do it because of that. In the words of Nike, "Just do it!" I've done two trips now and I feel that they have been the most influential volunteer experiences I've had. I feel they may even outrank medical volunteerism. I've got high convictions about them and feel everyone should atleast do one.

Where did you go..anywhere you'd suggest?

I was refering to not doing it for the application. I meant just do it if you want to do it. I've done two so far: Katrina and then Habitat for Humanity. The Katrina cleanup in March, '06, was by far the best thing I've ever done in my life. I then went back in July and visited a lot of the people I helped along with volunteering again. Like I said before, life altering.

I completely agree with the above posters: do alternative spring break because it is an amazing, eye-opening experience, and not because you want to look good for med schools. I've done two, and they were both wonderful experiences. My first one involved building houses and playing with children on a Native American reservation in South Dakota, and the other was volunteering on organic farms and community gardens in Northern California.

I just want to broaden my horizons... I'm interested in doing volunteer work over spring break

I can't seem to find any decent "health-care" related ones that aren't ridiculously expensive ($1300+)

Would it be more productive to do an alternative spring break with my school... going to new orleans and helping katrina victims?

I just want to broaden my horizons... I'm interested in doing volunteer work over spring break

I can't seem to find any decent "health-care" related ones that aren't ridiculously expensive ($1300+)

Would it be more productive to do an alternative spring break with my school... going to new orleans and helping katrina victims?

At my school, ASB is a long process that starts in the Fall semester with application, interview, meetings, etc. If your school is still accepting applications for this year I'd definitely go do it!