Alternatives to Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mobmw325i

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello...

It appears unlikely that I will be able to scramble into the specialty I want. And I'd rather not practice medicine than apply for Internal Medicine or Family (no offense).

I wanted to know of any alternatives to residency after finishing medical school. I've heard of research opportunities, but does anyone know of a good site that provides these opportunities?

I guess I could bag groceries for a year, but something that might help my application for next year would be better.

Thanks in advance! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

There are opportunities but without a medical license which usually requires a year of internship the MD degree qualifies you in itself for very little.There are preventative med residencies generally not too difficult to obtain that will qualify you for work in a muncipal or state public health dept.Some MDs drop out of clinical work to pursue business interests,their medical backround helps them evaluate medical realted products, investments etc.an MBA would be helpful.Drug companies generally want individuals who have trained in a particular specialty with a research backround.Another option is to contact residency programs in your preferred specialty and see if they have any research options-fellowships available.It may help you if you try to match a second time around.It is in your economic interest to become boarded in a specialty even if its not your number 1 choice.It will make you far more marketable for a variety of administrative or non clinical positions.

there is quite a bit of anesthesia left.....if youre interested

thank you so much for all your help...

I'm still considering actually taking a medicine or FP spot...

but bailing on the program after a year, doesn't sit well with my conscious... and the fact that I'd only be taking that spot for a salary...

Thanks again for your advice... again, if anyone does have information on research opportunities particularly in NY, that would be helpful...

(so that I may consider all possible options)

:scared:

do you mind sharing exactly what u didnt get matched in? not for shear info but to better assist u?

Don't get discouraged, usually there are many positions available even after the match, it becomes a matter of calling up the PDs and determining if their programs filled up.....that takes time, patience but in the end it usually works out......

good luck ........

Ahmed

If you definitely want to pursue residency, I would highly highly recommend doing a year of research. If there is any certain institution you are particularly interested, by all means do the research there, preferably with the chairman, program director, or another high profile person. I have seen quite a few FMG's do this with amazing success in some of THE most competitive residencies.

Hey, check your PM.

What kind of work can you do if you have finished your PGY-1 year?

I think there are still anesthesia spots left (not sure)...

as for working without residency, obviously you can't "use" your MD (without licensure)... it would just be helpful in getting a job over a BS (you might be over qualified though)

there are some spots I've been able to find...

and fortunately some program directors have iterated that research would look more favorably than a year of residency...

mobmw325i And I'd rather not practice medicine than apply for Internal Medicine or Family (no offense).

Exactly..thats what I think so....and I also wondered whether to do a transitional year or research to land into a different speciality later..finally settled on transitional which I will start in July in NY.But ur comment abt the fact that PDs prefer research more than a year of residency makes me wonder if I did the right thing..hmmm.what are u doing & where?Can u plz tell me what u have found so far abt what else we can do other than residency to make our application better next year.

BTW are u an IMG..(I am asking coz I am one and USCE often comes up when considered for residency at good programs so i thought i would be better off doing an year of research)

Thanks

sorry...I mena tI would be better off doing a clinical year than research..wonder if thats a sensible considering the fact that i want to go into radiology or maybe neurology later on..

Mmobmw325i:

Sorry to hear you did not match. If you do not mind my asking, what programs did you rank and why do you think they did not take you? The reason I ask, I have a very strong interest in pathology and people tell me everyday that it is an easy match. However, I am very concerned I will not match, so I am trying to address any issues ahead of time. I hear the competition may be increasing, so I am ranking some Plan B's on my career list. Also, there are some path spots still left, so I was not sure if you were interested in an academic vs. any program.

deean: I don't think research for you would be the best alternative. Pathology is strongly research oriented. Some programs actually prefer Ph.D's in biomedicine or pathology for residency. They also prefer previous pathology experience prior to medical school. (some of the things I don't have!)

But your interests appear to be with patient care, so doing a transitional year, or any patient care residency would be far more favorable...

Especially since Radiology & Neurology require a preliminary year anyways.

Hope this helps!

(funny, i asked for help, and now i'm giving it!):laugh:

As for me being an IMG... I highly doubt I would have had trouble securing a residency if I were a US grad.. (in short, yes!)

:rolleyes: