altius exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cp40

Reaction score
Hi! Does anyone have anything to say about the Altius MCAT practice exams? I did all the Next Step and EK practice exams when preparing for my previous MCAT so I am just looking for some new content. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I loved them, especially for the price. The more exposure to any and every test, the better you'll do.

What? It's like 150 for 10 tests? A great deal to get 100s of questions and to see how you do at the start and then the finish, I personally saw great value in that.

Reactions: 1 users
They were pretty good. I used EK, Altius, and TBR my first time and found them all useful for different reasons. If I had to rate them by realism it would be TBR > EK > Altius, but not by much. I plan to use those same three (the sections I haven't already done) if I need to repeat the exam.

Hi! Does anyone have anything to say about the Altius MCAT practice exams? I did all the Next Step and EK practice exams when preparing for my previous MCAT so I am just looking for some new content. Thanks!
I would honestly recommend taking the course but the practice tests themselves were great practice! I know I'm biased but I will say that my second to last Altius practice test that I took the week of my exam predicted my score in every single section that I got on exam day. That was probably a crazy coincidence but I really felt like they put a lot of effort into making them accurate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I did the Altius program last year and I absolutely loved it! My favorite part of their program was definitely their practice tests. They are set up exactly like your actual MCAT and my scores were very predictive of the score I got on my actual exam. They have great analyses after that explain not only why the answer is correct but why all the others are wrong (which AAMC doesn't do!). I think they are a great value for what you get, and while I recommend purchasing a prep program from them, you won't go wrong with their practice tests.

The AAMC FLEs are the gold standard but I think the Altius tests do a great job of mimicking AAMC questions. I took all the Altius tests and thought they were really valuable as a measuring stick and to get content practice by seeing a ton of problems. Good deal too. My scores kind of jumped around a bit but they were relatively close to my real score toward the end -- I think they had been working on normalizing the scores to make them more accurate with more data too.

So... I thought that the altius exams were great in that they had really good explanations of the answers, and were representative of the more difficult passages in the actual exam. That being said, I really do believe that the overall tests were harder than the actual exam, and certainly harder than the FLEs. I got 4 pts below my goal score (8 below my actual) less than 2 weeks before my test date, after I had been consistently doing well on the AAMC FLEs. Moral of the story: good tests but the scoring is wack, don't let it demoralize you. Use only the AAMC tests as a score predictor.
Also, their CARS is weird, I don't think the rationale for some of their answers is the same as AAMC (but is any 3rd party really?)