Alumni Approaching Professors for LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BiopsychStudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been out of university since May and I'm soon going to be applying to grad school. I want to ask four of my professors for LORs (Two I've done research with; two I've known well). I'm unsure what the best approach is for asking them:

My college is within driving distance, though its a closed campus. I'm fairly sure I could meet with them in person if I cared to though I feel somewhat strange showing up unsolicited when I'm no longer a student. At the moment my preferred option is to email them, though email is somewhat impersonal and I'm not really sure if it might be perceived as lazy, especially if they want to ask follow up questions, etc.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to approach professors about this, especially if you've been out of college for a short period? (And is it wise to ask a professor you know well, but with whom you've only gotten a B+ in their class?).

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If it were me, I would e-mail the professors and ask if you could meet with them for 15 to 20 minutes. This way you get the important face time without imposing.
As for the professor and the B+, I wouldn't include them. If you have three others that can write you strong letters, this forth professor is unnecessary and could actually harm you.

So I've been out of university since May and I'm soon going to be applying to grad school. I want to ask four of my professors for LORs (Two I've done research with; two I've known well). I'm unsure what the best approach is for asking them:

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to approach professors about this, especially if you've been out of college for a short period? (And is it wise to ask a professor you know well, but with whom you've only gotten a B+ in their class?).

Thank you.

I would go in person, during office hours and explain that you've made the decision to pursue graduate school. They will more than likely be thrilled for you. I stumbled on a professor who had not seen me for 3 years, and I was no longer a student. When she asked what I was up to, I told her I was applying to graduate school. She promptly offered to write me a letter.

These people who you know are expecting students to come back for references (at least the standout students). So go in there knowing that you aren't likely the first one, nor the last one, to ask for a letter well after graduating.

With regard to the B+ professor, I would shy away from that one unless you know that they can and will write a letter that knocks it out of the park. Some professors just don't give A's and a B+ could be an outstanding performance, you have to really be careful with that one though. You want professors who will write letters that extol your virtues and highlights your potential as a graduate student.

Mark