Alumni influence?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cvtenn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much influence do alumni really have on admissions? We're not related. The MD says the school "owes him" and will make sure I get in. Is this bs..? It just seems odd someone would have that kind of influence.

Members don't see this ad.

Please share your opinion even if you're not sure! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Get your hands on the school's annual report and see which column your pal's name is in ($1 million or more) ($100,000-$250,000) ($10,000-25,000) etc.

For the most part, alumni don't have much influence on decisions about individual applicants.

I was kinda of wondering about this as well, but my question had to do more w\ a family dynasty. I know many undergrad schools are big fans of creating a dynasty, but are med schools? My mom, dad, uncle, and cousin all went to UTMB...... Does that provide any influence on the admissions process?

I was kinda of wondering about this as well, but my question had to do more w\ a family dynasty. I know many undergrad schools are big fans of creating a dynasty, but are med schools? My mom, dad, uncle, and cousin all went to UTMB...... Does that provide any influence on the admissions process?

I can't say anything about UTMB in particular but some schools will take pity on an applicant with multiplie relatives in the alumni association. One I know of (at another school) was encouraged and advised after an unsuccessful cycle and was admitted on the second try (with improved gpa & MCAT).

It also depends on how you interview. I do recall someone who had a 3 generation legacy but interviewed like this was the last place in the world they wanted to be. I think we thought that we might be doing the applicant a favor to say "no" (or more likely "waitlist" with the hope the applicant got a straight acceptance elsewhere & wanted to go there).

I can't say anything about UTMB in particular but some schools will take pity on an applicant with multiplie relatives in the alumni association. One I know of (at another school) was encouraged and advised after an unsuccessful cycle and was admitted on the second try (with improved gpa & MCAT).

It also depends on how you interview. I do recall someone who had a 3 generation legacy but interviewed like this was the last place in the world they wanted to be. I think we thought that we might be doing the applicant a favor to say "no" (or more likely "waitlist" with the hope the applicant got a straight acceptance elsewhere & wanted to go there).

Thanks for the insight.