cvtenn

10+ Year Member
May 6, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
How much influence do alumni really have on admissions? We're not related. The MD says the school "owes him" and will make sure I get in. Is this bs..? It just seems odd someone would have that kind of influence.

OP
C

cvtenn

10+ Year Member
May 6, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Please share your opinion even if you're not sure! Thank you!

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Get your hands on the school's annual report and see which column your pal's name is in ($1 million or more) ($100,000-$250,000) ($10,000-25,000) etc.

For the most part, alumni don't have much influence on decisions about individual applicants.

seansss

ATX
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Austin TX
Status
Pre-Medical
I was kinda of wondering about this as well, but my question had to do more w\ a family dynasty. I know many undergrad schools are big fans of creating a dynasty, but are med schools? My mom, dad, uncle, and cousin all went to UTMB...... Does that provide any influence on the admissions process?

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
I was kinda of wondering about this as well, but my question had to do more w\ a family dynasty. I know many undergrad schools are big fans of creating a dynasty, but are med schools? My mom, dad, uncle, and cousin all went to UTMB...... Does that provide any influence on the admissions process?
I can't say anything about UTMB in particular but some schools will take pity on an applicant with multiplie relatives in the alumni association. One I know of (at another school) was encouraged and advised after an unsuccessful cycle and was admitted on the second try (with improved gpa & MCAT).

It also depends on how you interview. I do recall someone who had a 3 generation legacy but interviewed like this was the last place in the world they wanted to be. I think we thought that we might be doing the applicant a favor to say "no" (or more likely "waitlist" with the hope the applicant got a straight acceptance elsewhere & wanted to go there).

seansss

ATX
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Austin TX
Status
Pre-Medical
I can't say anything about UTMB in particular but some schools will take pity on an applicant with multiplie relatives in the alumni association. One I know of (at another school) was encouraged and advised after an unsuccessful cycle and was admitted on the second try (with improved gpa & MCAT).

It also depends on how you interview. I do recall someone who had a 3 generation legacy but interviewed like this was the last place in the world they wanted to be. I think we thought that we might be doing the applicant a favor to say "no" (or more likely "waitlist" with the hope the applicant got a straight acceptance elsewhere & wanted to go there).
Thanks for the insight.