Am I a competitive applicant? for state schools other than my own?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Navaza

Reaction score
Hi all, longtime lurker, 1st time poster. I wanted to get some feedback on where I stand as a potential candidate, and what schools I should be considering.

Date of submission: 6/5/22
Overall GPA: 3.70
Science GPA: 3.17
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.17
#1DAT score: PAT21, RC24, QR21, Bio16, GenChem22, Orgo15. TS17. AA20. (April 2021)
#2DAT score: PAT21, RC27, QR30, Bio22, GenChem24, Orgo26, TS23, AA26. (September 2022)

Undergrad Attended:
irrelevant
Major: physics
Minor: creative writing
Reapplicant? Yes, 2nd time.
Nontrad? No
(sort of? Not an official career change because it has always been in the pursuit of dentistry, but I have spent several years since graduating from college taking classes and working.)

Shadowing/volunteering:
yes
Employment: Spent the last three years working in a dental lab (1year) and as an assistant (GD and OS, 2years).
Research: Physics research as an undergrad for a few semesters, presented some stuff at APS and other universities but no publications.

Last year I didn't consider the fact that state schools are less inclined to accept OOS applicants, and I hoped that a 20 overall would outweigh poor performance in individual sections on the DAT. Got a bunch of rejections and 1 waitlist. This year, I stuck to private schools because I thought it would improve my chances, but I just retook the DAT and it went well... where does this put me as a candidate? Are my stats good enough for me to reconsider my lack of state schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Where did you apply last cycle? It also would help us know what your state of legal residence is.
Florida resident. Last year, I applied to Nova, UF (waitlisted), Lecom, Touro, storybook, temple, university of Connecticut, University of Alabama, Rutgers, and UMD.
This year, UF, Lecom, Nova, Creighton, Meharry, touro, temple.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you underestimate how your science coursework was reviewed. Since you are a physics major, your BCP GPA would need more attention for the biology and chemistry coursework you took, especially any upper-level biology courses like microbiology. We don't have this information, but that is how I would likely look at your academic performance. The fact you did a lot better on the DAT with your bio and chem subscores will help you if you had mostly A's and B's in the bio/chem classes. To that end, I'm hopeful you'll get a little more action, and perhaps that WL at UF will turn to an A.

I think you underestimate how your science coursework was reviewed. Since you are a physics major, your BCP GPA would need more attention for the biology and chemistry coursework you took, especially any upper-level biology courses like microbiology. We don't have this information, but that is how I would likely look at your academic performance. The fact you did a lot better on the DAT with your bio and chem subscores will help you if you had mostly A's and B's in the bio/chem classes. To that end, I'm hopeful you'll get a little more action, and perhaps that WL at UF will turn to an A.
Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it!

Hi all, longtime lurker, 1st time poster. I wanted to get some feedback on where I stand as a potential candidate, and what schools I should be considering.

Date of submission: 6/5/22
Overall GPA: 3.70
Science GPA: 3.17
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.17
#1DAT score: PAT21, RC24, QR21, Bio16, GenChem22, Orgo15. TS17. AA20. (April 2021)
#2DAT score: PAT21, RC27, QR30, Bio22, GenChem24, Orgo26, TS23, AA26. (September 2022)

Undergrad Attended:
irrelevant
Major: physics
Minor: creative writing
Reapplicant? Yes, 2nd time.
Nontrad? No
(sort of? Not an official career change because it has always been in the pursuit of dentistry, but I have spent several years since graduating from college taking classes and working.)

Shadowing/volunteering:
yes
Employment: Spent the last three years working in a dental lab (1year) and as an assistant (GD and OS, 2years).
Research: Physics research as an undergrad for a few semesters, presented some stuff at APS and other universities but no publications.

Last year I didn't consider the fact that state schools are less inclined to accept OOS applicants, and I hoped that a 20 overall would outweigh poor performance in individual sections on the DAT. Got a bunch of rejections and 1 waitlist. This year, I stuck to private schools because I thought it would improve my chances, but I just retook the DAT and it went well... where does this put me as a candidate? Are my stats good enough for me to reconsider my lack of state schools?
are you URM?

well, you probably should have added howard even with your old test scores
and congrats on the improvement

OOS publics are going to be hit and miss since your sGPA and BCP are 3.17

i'd say that your best bet is to do everything you can to get into UF...