Am I a competitive applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ntm327

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've just decided to apply to MPH programs for Fall 2006. My personal statement is nearly complete, but I'm not sure what "tier" schools I should be applying to, as well as what type of programs.

My interest is in HIV/Infectious diseases (Health education, I guess?), but I'm planning to go to med school eventually so I'm told epidemiology is a better track.

My stats: 3.45 undergrad gpa, double degree in biology and french, 31Q MCAT (this is the other thing-i prefer schools that will take MCAT instead of GRE), graudated may 2005

My experience: health educator for 9th grade students (during senior year of high school), treasurer of an organization for 1 year undergrad/president of that organization for the next two years, and I am currently doing research in oncology and a teacher for Kaplan, both positions which I have been involved with for extended periods of time.

I would ideally like to go to school in a big city (GWU/Emory being my top picks right now), but my understanding is that they are more competitve. Any suggestions from anyone about my strength as a candidate or a particular program?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an expert in stats to get in, but my feeling is that experience counts heavily, which it seems you have.

I generally think epi is the way to go for MD-types, but I'm biased. I would think more about what you want to do vs. what you have done. Many topics need people from many areas, and from what I can tell what your major in gets less and less important in subsequent years after graduation. Get a well-rounded, liberal arts public health education, learn the basics well, study what you're interested in, follow your passion and heart, and the details will come.