Am I a lock to be accepted to COMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

James Dorsett

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't want to sound arrogant but I feel like I have a good enough resume to have a better than 90% chance of getting into COMP.

Ohio State Student (Florida resident)
Neuroscience major
GPA: 3.9... sGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 35
EC's: Above average (Plenty of research, medical and non-medical volunteering, shadowing (DO and MD), Chemistry TA, lived in Fiji for 3 months teaching children)

The reason I'm targeting COMP is because I want to live in the LA area and have a slim chance of getting into USC, UCLA, UC-Irvine, or UC-Riverside since I am out-of-state. Thank you for your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't want to sound arrogant but I feel like I have a good enough resume to have a better than 90% chance of getting into COMP.

Ohio State Student (Florida resident)
Neuroscience major
GPA: 3.9... sGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 35
EC's: Above average (Plenty of research, medical and non-medical volunteering, shadowing (DO and MD), Chemistry TA, lived in Fiji for 3 months teaching children)

The reason I'm targeting COMP is because I want to live in the LA area and have a slim chance of getting into USC, UCLA, UC-Irvine, or UC-Riverside since I am out-of-state. Thank you for your responses!

You do realize that, of the schools you listed, USC is private and has no IS preference and UCI has been actively recruiting OOS applicants (OOS tuition). Admittedly your chances at UCLA and UCR are remote.
I don't think that one can ever consider themselves a "lock" at a single school.

Last edited by a moderator:
You do realize that, of the schools you listed, USC is private and has no IS preference and UCI has been actively recruiting OOS applicants (OOS tuition). Admittedly your chances at UCLA and UCR are remote.
According to the MSAR information, the same number (roughly) of OOS applied to USC as in-state. However 3 times as many in-state were matriculated. Could be a coincidence I guess. As far as UCI, where are you getting that information from? The MSAR says that 11.7% of ISS received interviews, while 5.0% of OSS received interviews. There is definitely preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, you have good stats and EC's. I hope you're also planning on applying to several other schools outside of CA.

Reactions: 1 user
The reason that there is a preponderance of IS matriculants at all CA schools has to do with the fact that there are only about 1000 1st year MD positions in a state with 5000 applicants. 1600 of these applicants have to leave the state to go to med school. There is an abundance of extremely qualified candidates almost all of whom want to stay in CA. Well qualified OOS applicants are welcome but I can tell you that a large proportion of them don't have comparable stats to locals. If we could compare stats of IS and OOS applicants the apparent disparity would be explained.

UCLA alone produces enough pre meds every year to populate every seat in CA!

Ultimately, OP, you are right. Getting into CA medical schools is tough. You will increase your chances, though by including the ones that you are a good statistical match for.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the MSAR information, the same number (roughly) of OOS applied to USC as in-state. However 3 times as many in-state were matriculated. Could be a coincidence I guess. As far as UCI, where are you getting that information from? The MSAR says that 11.7% of ISS received interviews, while 5.0% of OSS received interviews. There is definitely preference.

The UC's are known to be some of the biggest premed weeder schools in the country. The premeds who successfully arise from these schools are monster candidates and are extremely qualified and just about all of them apply to California schools.

Also know that med schools want to accept candidates who are likely to go to their school and California residents are the most likely to matriculate. Obviously, schools like UCI must balance this with trying to get more out of state students for their higher tuition. There will still be a disparity, but it's growing slimmer.

Reactions: 1 user