WAMC/ School list help (3.95 cGPA and sGPA, 509 MCAT) FAP locked to 20 schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blandbacchus

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS- 3.95 sGPA and cGPA
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown- 509 (127, 124, 129, 129)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)- NY
  4. Ethnicity and/or race- North African
  5. Undergraduate institution or category- Low prestige state uni
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)- I am an EMT planning to work after I return home to my country. I have 300 hours volunteering as a student EMT and 115 hours volunteering at local hospital
  7. Research experience and productivity- ~500 hours research
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented- ~100 hours, pulmonologist neurosurgeon and mostly psychiatry because that is what I want to pursue
  9. Non-clinical volunteering- ~ around 50 at food bank and local mosque
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)-
- captain for college club team, and play semi-professional soccer (like 2000 hours)
- I have a phlebotomy certification (300 hours), planning to use that and my EMT certification to work as a ED tech during my gap year

11. Relevant honors or awards- presidents list
12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
-I am an immigrant; maybe that will help with diversity and stuff. Also planning to pursue psychiatry which is what my PS is all about, and it's pretty strong.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
permanent resident
I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYS
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Apply this month and submit all your secondaries by July.

around 50 at food bank and local mosque
You need to get to 150 hours before applying to avoid getting screened out at most medical schools. Is there a reason why you ultimately want to do psychiatry and not consider clinical psychology (PsyD) if mental health interests you?

You need to get to 150 hours before applying to avoid getting screened out at most medical schools. Is there a reason why you ultimately want to do psychiatry and not consider clinical psychology (PsyD) if mental health interests you?
I have never heard of this. Thank you for letting me know. Should I add in my activities to volunteer more at the food bank during my gap year?

I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYS
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Apply this month and submit all your secondaries by July.
Thank you so much! I only have 20 schools to apply to, should I still apply to Stoney brook due to its high MCAT average?

I have never heard of this. Thank you for letting me know. Should I add in my activities to volunteer more at the food bank during my gap year?
We advise about the 150 hour threshold on this forum because of what we have seen in the applicant pool and reactions from admissions decisions. You need to have these hours before applying, and future/anticipated hours do not carry weight.