Am I a suitable candidate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigtex22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a typical thread but I am curious. Im a Texas resident. I will graduate with a 3.5-3.6 cGPA and a 3.35 sGPA. Played college athletics for 2 years(Div 2 and Div 1.)
100+ hours of volunteer work
90+ shadowing
Medical missions overseas
Lab experience
2 huge leadership positions on campus
Couple really good LORs
MCAT will be in the 27-29 range most likely (take in January)
Osteopathic medicine is my first desire.

What are my odds?? Worried about my science GPA.. I've taken a lot of upper levels though.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Texas MDs all seem to look for 30+ mcats and 3.50 sGPA. I could be wrong?

This is a typical thread but I am curious. Im a Texas resident. I will graduate with a 3.5-3.6 cGPA and a 3.35 sGPA. Played college athletics for 2 years(Div 2 and Div 1.)
100+ hours of volunteer work
90+ shadowing
Medical missions overseas
Lab experience
2 huge leadership positions on campus
Couple really good LORs
MCAT will be in the 27-29 range most likely (take in January)
Osteopathic medicine is my first desire.

What are my odds?? Worried about my science GPA.. I've taken a lot of upper levels though.

Yeah, your stats/ECs sound good to me. Push for the upper end of that 27-29 MCAT range and you'll set yourself up for a very successful cycle. I don't believe that a 3.35 sGPA is totally off the chart, so I wouldn't worry too much as long as you finish strong and demonstrate a consistent upward trend. As others mentioned, apply broadly.

Also, DON'T do what I did:
1. Score ~4 points below your MCAT practice test average. Seriously, it hurts, and I'm still trying to figure out how that happened.
2. Apply late/request transcripts last minute (I faxed my transcript request to my university the same day I submitted my AACOMAS. Ultimately, the transcript delivery to AACOMAS delayed my app verification by nearly a month. Regardless, I still submitted the primary later than I should have). Moral of the story, submit your AACOMAS the day it opens to put yourself in the best possible position.

It sounds like you're on the right track though! Good luck with applications/MCAT!! :)

Texas MDs all seem to look for 30+ mcats and 3.50 sGPA. I could be wrong?

This is mostly true but not absolute. UTMB will take a fair amount of 3.8+ with a 28-29 (gpa heavy), and Tech and Tech El Paso and A&M to a lesser extent will take some high 20s people. San Antonio (mcat heavy) also seems to take a some sub 3.5 but 32+ people each year. Houston typically is fairly balanced with stats and has a 3.7/31 avg and UTSW is both mcat/gpa heavy with a 3.8/33 avg. However for most who gain a Texas MD spot without a 3.5+/30+ they will have something pretty exceptional about their application. FWIW I know of quite a few applying this cycle and not a single one has MD interviews without a 3.5+/30+, I even know a few with 33+ and no interviews (last years overall Texas stats are 3.71/30.3 including TCOM). It is very competitive and stats may get someone to peek at an app, but the rest of it will get you the interview. Your ECs are probably about average for a decent applicant (except your clinical experience, unless that is what your volunteer work is) and maybe about average for a matriculant.

If you want a good shot at IS you need to kill that MCAT, and try to bring the sGPA up a bit. And IS is pretty nice when tuition is 15-18k vs. 45-55k for OOS.