Am I Allowed to Do This During the Test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllDay24

Veteran Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I know that people typing during the essay section can be pretty loud, even with the head covers on. So I wanted to start the test early, so I can finish VR before I hear typing from other people.

But I know that BS has become more of an experimentally based section, so I think that section also requires significant concentration. Normally if you start the test early, you'll hear typing during the BS section...so I was wondering if after my break, I could just put my head down on the desk before clicking start for the BS section to avoid the typing.

I know it's not a big deal, but any advantage counts...besides extra time to relax is definitely a good thing - a better alternative than ending the writing section early.

Members don't see this ad.

I would just make sure I was last in line when everyones signing in..and use every second of verbal and ps, that way everyones ahead of you and you get to be that annoying guy on the writing section. I swear when i was doing bio the two people beside me made it sound like they were typing with their face.

You might get extra tired though.. I think it's better to have typing sounds during the BS because at that point you're kind of in a momentum to finish the test and end on a good note. Try taking a mini-nap during a practice and see how having the extra time in between affects your performance.

You may want to check out what your testing center provides - mine gave out both soft earplugs and the huge earphones so it's a double noise cancellation.

I was one of the first people in, and I didn't hear any typing at all. I brought my own earplugs plus wore headphones given by the test center. Worked like a charm... I really didnt hear anything. Or maybe I was just so pumped on adrenaline the test was the only thing I could focus on. Personally, I LOVED being out of there so fast. Why prolong the misery.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're allowed to bring earplugs so just do that. Looks for the cone-shaped foam ones that you'll find in any CVS or Walgreens (not the store brand though, those suck). I've got some that practically make me deaf, and I know from using them on practice tests that I can barely hear any typing coming from my own keyboard. I'd assume that when it comes to keyboards even farther away that the noise cancellation is even better.

I was expecting to see something more like this when I opened this thread

tumblr_m3haearI001qighwj.gif

I would rather come last and be the guy doing the WS when everyone is doing BS. That way, I can type in the most annoying fashion possible and destroy the curve. It's all about strategy. :)

and I thought I was the only one with this problem... With the headphones on when I was doing the Bio, I couldn't pay attention because every two seconds it sounded like someone was stomping.... the little girl next to me was just slamming the spacebar.

I think you all misunderstood the question. He wants to know if basically he can take a 60 minute break after his official 10 minute break after his writing section by just not clicking start when the BS section start screen comes up. This way he would avoid other people typing during his VR and BS.

The answer to this is no. If you do not click start the proctors will know and come to your desk and have you click start.

Random question:

Are we allowed to bring our own pencils? I really dislike using those normal #2 pencils that get unsharpened after close to no use..

I was expecting to see something more like this when I opened this thread

tumblr_m3haearI001qighwj.gif

Haha there was a camera in each cubicle at my test center so I asked a proctor when I was checking in how often she has to see test takers have mental breakdowns. She just laughed and said all the time but that she always roots for the respectful kids when she sees them start getting panicky. I hope she was rooting for me during my BS section because I'm sure I looked like :wow:.

OP you definitely cannot spend an hour chilling, I actually think there was someone my test day trying to pull that because I overheard the proctors talking about a kid refusing to press start when I was heading back in for WS. Granted I was late signing in on all of my breaks because there wasn't enough time to use the bathroom on the other side of the building, eat and sign back in but they didn't say anything to me. I really wouldn't worry about the typing noise so much if I was you. You are probably going to be so focused on your own test that you probably won't notice any background noise or other people moving around the room unless you make a point of letting it bother you.

Honestly, 1 pair of 3M 32 dB earplugs and you're set. People use these for dealing with nascar races and weed-eater engines. Typing to these earplugs is like a cat purring at a metallica concert. $4 for a set of 8 at home depot

I couldn't hear my OWN typing other than through my bones, let alone anyone else's typing. I walked out of the testing room with them still in during my break (forgot I was wearing them) and the lady asked me to sign the log sheet... walked RIGHT by her and the next lady telling me to stop. I simply couldn't hear them. We laughed about it later, but it took a shoulder tap to get my attention.

I think that option is way more safe than trying to time things out or trusting those bulky headphones. Just as a note, I did do all of my AAMCs with them so that I was used to them by game day.

Making sure you have extra earplugs is a great idea.

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Laser-Earplugs-Cords/dp/B00362CNMM/ref=pd_cp_hi_1
^ ^
these are supposedly the best ones out there.

In my previous life I had to use ear protection at work, and I used dozens of different kinds of foam earplugs. At first I thought they would all be relatively interchangeable, but these ones definitely outperform all other foam earplugs. Definitely.

However, when I took the MCAT in March there was a building about a block away from the testing center that was undergoing construction. The typing noises coming from the other students paled in comparison to the random, terrifying "thuds" that basically shook the whole building my test center was in. Distracting, much?

My advice: be prepared, and don't let anything throw you.