Am I behind on experience??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

berzel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Sophomore in years, Junior status by credits and I haven't been able to volunteer, shadow, research, or join any clubs yet in college. My parents haven't been okay with me being active and thought that my grades, Honors college status and MCAT scores alone will eventually get me into medical school and everything else is considered extra. I've finally convinced them that it's not all going to fall in place with the push of a button and I actually have to do a whole lot extra to get into this field. Is the fact that my experiences are only going to be in my last two years of college going to hurt my application?

Members don't see this ad.

It should be fine, as long as you remain active in the activities during your last two years. If you are applying the cycle after your junior year, just state that you intend to continue with your activities until you graduate.

I'm a Sophomore in years, Junior status by credits and I haven't been able to volunteer, shadow, research, or join any clubs yet in college. My parents haven't been okay with me being active and thought that my grades, Honors college status and MCAT scores alone will eventually get me into medical school and everything else is considered extra. I've finally convinced them that it's not all going to fall in place with the push of a button and I actually have to do a whole lot extra to get into this field. Is the fact that my experiences are only going to be in my last two years of college going to hurt my application?

How good are your grades?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you live at home / do your parents only let you out of the house to go to class? Did this issue not come up during high school (with respect to college applications)? Couldn't you do research for credit and have it count as a class?

In any case, now is certainly not too late to start any of the endeavors you listed - summer is a good time to get in significant hours shadowing/volunteering/researching.

I'm a Sophomore in years, Junior status by credits and I haven't been able to volunteer, shadow, research, or join any clubs yet in college. My parents haven't been okay with me being active

WTF.... Are you not an adult? Do you live with them or have a curfew? Or both?

Just get involved. Telling them is optional. Even if they're footing the bill, as long your grades meet their standards, they should have little to no say in what you do outside of the classroom.

nope. I was just talking to someone about this....i think as long as you continue with them until your interviews (or long enough to show commitment) you'll be fine.

Do you live at home / do your parents only let you out of the house to go to class? Did this issue not come up during high school (with respect to college applications)? Couldn't you do research for credit and have it count as a class?

In any case, now is certainly not too late to start any of the endeavors you listed - summer is a good time to get in significant hours shadowing/volunteering/researching.

Yea I live at home and have to come and go for classes and for anything else need permission. It didn't come up in high school because this issue was never really there at the time. Community service was required to graduate so that was done and that was it. Thank you though, it's good to know that it's not too late!

WTF.... Are you not an adult? Do you live with them or have a curfew? Or both?

Just get involved. Telling them is optional. Even if they're footing the bill, as long your grades meet their standards, they should have little to no say in what you do outside of the classroom.
I realize it seems easy to think of it that way but it really isn't. I do live with them and have a strong trust system with them so I couldn't break it. Took two years to convince them and finally I have that permission! :) I've only just turned 18 btw, the fact that I graduated high school early made them think that everything could now be put off for an extra few years :/

nope. I was just talking to someone about this....i think as long as you continue with them until your interviews (or long enough to show commitment) you'll be fine.
Awesome thanks!

Yea I live at home and have to come and go for classes and for anything else need permission. It didn't come up in high school because this issue was never really there at the time. Community service was required to graduate so that was done and that was it. Thank you though, it's good to know that it's not too late!

I think the 'being 18 and needing to ask for permission to do anything besides go to class' is what will get in your way. Not the lack of experience (well, that IS kind of lack of experience...).

I think the 'being 18 and needing to ask for permission to do anything besides go to class' is what will get in your way. Not the lack of experience (well, that IS kind of lack of experience...).
Trust me, I'm fully aware of that. It's a very frustrating thing that eats at me every night and I'm glad that it's finally been cleared up with them. I'm just wondering if it's too late or that my inactivity in my first 2 years will hurt me. I plan on making it up these last 2 years.