Should I be concerned about having no research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsfan4980

Reaction score
Looking at the statistics for MD programs, most of the accepted applicants have had research experience of some type. My university experience has been choppy with COVID, my own health incidents, my family's health incidents, and the decision to become a pre-med in my junior year – all of which make for a pretty good PS. That being said, I never made it into the research scene, and I don't think the labs at my university are looking to bring on a senior that will only be there for a couple more terms.

On the other hand, I have a 3.98 overall GPA, a 4.00 science GPA, a 523 MCAT, plenty of volunteer hours, and plenty of clinical hours as a phlebotomist. I feel like I have done everything right except getting research experience. Is this a blemish to an otherwise good application?

Members don't see this ad.

It might be worth reaching out to some labs, as that high MCAT lands you in a category of schools that are looking for a little research. I graduated in spring 2022 and kinda thought the same thing, that no one would be interested. Ultimately, I connected with a lab that wanted me as a volunteer, and it has since turned into a gap year job (I'm taking two gap years, applying in this cycle).

It would be especially helpful if you could connect it to something you are interested in. I was able to connect it to a passion of mine and have really enjoyed it. It sounds like you're taking at least one gap year, right? If you can stay near the school after you graduate and keep working with the lab, that may sell it for them. Just my two cents. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I was in a similar spot halfway through undergrad; good stats, MCAT done, most things checked off, but no research. I think the trouble with high stats is that you are recommended to apply to the T20 research powerhouses but those schools are looking for... research. Schools that might not care about research as much potentially will yield protect against your stats. As long as you don't hate research with a fiery passion, I'd say suck it up and get a couple hundred hours in. Create an email template and cold email every professor doing research you can find. Doesn't have to be science if you are interested in something else. I emailed dozens of professors and only got a handful of replies, but eventually found labs. So to answer your questions, yes it is a blemish. Apply with the best application, and that includes some research experience.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know where the OP goes to school, but academic culture expects strong students to have done some scholarly work, at least in the form of a senior thesis or scholarly effort. This is more why most students at the top brand schools have done research; those undergrad schools have an infrastructure and culture that pushes undergraduate research.

Still waiting for your WAMC profile.

Reactions: 1 users
Obviously I defer to literally anything Mr.Smile12 says ever haha

Just off experiences and those of my friends, the "top" med schools (ivies and whatnot) definitely expect it. If you don't have it, and you want to attend a school like that, you better be Mother Teresa in your spare time.

Your typical state US MD school? I mean, if you have an excellent app otherwise, you can get away without it, but even my rinky-dink primary-care-focused MD school gives you a significant boost to your app if you have it. Like MrSmile12 says, he needs to see your app.

If you want to go to a "low-tier"(I hate these terms) DO school, you don't need it. But again, that's assuming you didn't score a 472 on your MCAT exam. Ya gotta share your app :)

Going off what @atriablack said, I got a 100th percentile MCAT score, and I did research, and even presented at a conference. Still didn't get into any T20s.