Am I Behind?! What should I be doing to prep for applying to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SakuyaStarwind

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everybody! 🙂 (my first post)
I'm 24 and finishing my AA right now at a community college. Spring 2012 I'm transferring to a local university for my BS in Bio. What am I supposed to be doing to prepare my resume for applying for med school?

Specs:
4.0 GPA - 66 credits - graduating AA with honors this Dec.
Part time tutor at college
4 hours weekly volunteering in Pediatric Oncology @ a local hospital
Mentor for Take Stock in Children
Some varied academic achievement awards
5 years previous experience as pharmacy tech
Member of Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society
Honors program student at university

However, I have a GED and never took the SAT (gotta find a way to compensate).

Suggestions on what med schools want for extracurriculars, research, and anything else, etc?
Thanks and God bless! 🙄
 
Research

Some shadowing

Leadership in some organization
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your application is pretty good as is. Get in some shadowing hours (so you can articulate exactly why you want to enter medicine), and some research if that's something that interests you. Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing.
 
Cool thanks - any suggestions on an organization that would be easy and not a lot of work to have a leadership role in?! (I know, prob nothing lol)
How do I get in for shadowing?

You could be an honor code rep. It was pretty easy--meetings once a month and serve on the judicial committee a couple of times per semester. Depends on your school though.

Best way to get shadowing is to talk to a few docs and ask. You are already in the hospital so ask around.