Am I being obessive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

Eraserhead

OK I'm being a bit freakish here, I just re-read the LOI I sent to Cornell and realized I left out a statement saying that I will actuallly withdraw all my other acceptances and applications if admitted. However, I did say that they are unconditionally my first choice, and that I intend to matriculate if offered an acceptance regardless of my standing at other schools. But since I didn't actually say I would withdraw my other acceptances its sort of leaving a last minute change of mind open right? Should I send them another letter (its been almost 2 months)?

Is it possible to send too many letters??

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you are being obsessive. You're fine.

Hey DK,

It's ok. Don't sweat or worry about it. It's pretty clear from what you said that Cornell is definitely your #1 choice. I wouldn't send another letter of intent. You can send another letter of interest/update on another aspect or program of cornell which furthers why you like their school and it's a great fit for you. I think you'll do fine. ;) g'luck.

~finn

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I am not sure how much impact these letters have at top schools. That is what I got out of several conversations with doctors who have been on adcoms when I asked about how effective such a letter would be for Stanford. I think the top schools assume that most people would want to go there and would come. I really doubt that changing that one sentence is going to get you in or keep you out. But if it makes you feel better to send the letter I would do it. It probably won't help or hurt you either way.

Originally posted by DoctorKevin
However, I did say that they are unconditionally my first choice, and that I intend to matriculate if offered an acceptance regardless of my standing at other schools.

I think that this statement implies that you will withdraw from all other schools to which you applied. Premeds tend to be a little obsessive (myself included). Calm down. It probably wouldn't hurt to write a follow-up letter. Do it, if it will calm your mind.

i wouldnt follow it up...then you would send the same letter with just that line added in.

then i think the school would think you might be a bit obsessive...which is never a good thing.

Yeah, I think I'm just freaking out now that I'm done with interviews. There's nothing to do but wait.

But if I'm waitlisted I will definitely send another letter with updates and a more definite, concrete statement since things will be more clear in a month or so.

Is it bad form to say "I've been accepted to X program but Cornell is still my first choice and I will withdraw X acceptance if you take me"? This is assuming I'm accepted to a so-called "better" school such as UCSF.

Originally posted by LoneCoyote
Honestly, I am not sure how much impact these letters have at top schools. That is what I got out of several conversations with doctors who have been on adcoms when I asked about how effective such a letter would be for Stanford. I think the top schools assume that most people would want to go there and would come. I really doubt that changing that one sentence is going to get you in or keep you out. But if it makes you feel better to send the letter I would do it. It probably won't help or hurt you either way.

I agree that one sentence will not change things. But one thing about Stanford-- June did specifically tell me that if Stanford was my first choice that I should let him know via email. Its not, so I didn't write such a letter but he implied that it would make some sort of difference (I'm not sure how or when). If you are on the waiting list and it is your unconditional first choice I would write him an email.

Yes....wait, what was the question?

No you're not being too obsessive. I don't see what's wrong in sending a second LOI later on and this time including that you would withdraw your UCI and UCSD acceptance for them. That should catch their eye. ;)

dont send it dude. they'll think you're crazy. and it'll just add to the mess of papers that are already in there, no doubt. there's no point detracting from the substance of your application with repeats of letters..

I just sent Cornell an empty envelope marked "LOI" and they accepted me without opening it. Weird ehh? It just sat in my file without being opened at all.

Originally posted by irie
I just sent Cornell an empty envelope marked "LOI" and they accepted me without opening it. Weird ehh? It just sat in my file without being opened at all.

what???:confused:

okay, are you trying to say they dont even read it? but, why would you do that on purpose...didnt you think they might think you are ******ed (or insert other word? irresponsible, etc) for fogetting to send the letter??