1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Am I being stupid???

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ddsplease, Feb 24, 2007.

1. ddsplease

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm a third year predent and I applied to dental school last summer (a year early). Because I was applying early I only applied to 2 instate schools. I was accepted to one school but after visiting and going to the interview, I really don't think the school is a good fit for me. I was waitlisted at my #1 choice and really want to go to that school. I'm thinking about declining my admission and hoping to get of the waitlist or even going back to finish undergrand next year and apply again. I think I have a great chance of getting in next year, especially if I apply early (last year I submitted in early September). Is this stupid to turn down an acceptance just to apply to other schools next year?

2. Smileisland

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I would take it and run. You have no clue if you will get in next year and with the stats and applicant pool increasing rapidly each year I think it would be foolish to wait. Visit again, if you absolutely don't like it after that, then maybe....

3. johntara04

johntara04 Member
    5+ Year Member

I would go to the school. You are not guaranteed to get in again (but, you most likely will, the stats don't change that much year to year). The question you have to ask yourself is "is it worth it?" You will have to pay another year's tuition if you finish your undergrad (which I would just to solidify your chances of getting accepted next year), you would have another year of living expenses, reapplying expenses, higher dental school tuition (they go up every year), etc. Also, you would be losing one year's worth of income (because you would of graduated one year early). So you can figure on around $100,000 future salary you are losing. So, money isn't everything, but it should be considered when making a decision like this. Is the other school $150,000 better than the one you were accepted to (the cost of lost income and other expenses)? If so, then wait, if not then start dental school this fall.

4. pmantz

pmantz Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Yup..................................................

Okay I had to do it. You get to choose where you are going to go when you intialy apply and shell out a bunch of money, and when you have multiple acceptances.

You have one acceptance, that is 1 more then 66% of everyone else who applied this year.

Before you turn an offer think of this. You are throwing away one year of your life, one year of income. Think about it instead of retiring at 60 you will retire at 61. That is one more year you can be making money, you won't be able to invest it, one more year to not pay off loans and let your % increase.

Dental school won't be easy, its going to be hard where ever you go, just try to keep an open mind. And out repect for those that won't get in this year, take your offer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. OceanBlue

OceanBlue HA! I knew it.
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Consider yourself lucky and take it! get your dds.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. xdianaax

xdianaax In memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I agree, take it and run, consider yourself blessed.

7. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If you didn't want to go to the school when you applied and didn't like it when you interviewed then I say don't go. There is doubtlessly a list of people who would give a limb to take your spot. Give it to someone who wants it. You can always reapply next year. True, you might not get in to your #1 next year either. Plus, you are one year closer to retirement with one year less of earnings. However, if you go to d-school this fall and don't want to be there, you are only going to make yourself and everyone around you miserable. Out of consideration for you potential classmates, and those who genuinely want to go to this school - you need to either commit to starting this year or give the spot away.

8. 4thQtrDreams

4thQtrDreams Good times, for a change.
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    "Have you ever applied to dental school prior to the present application cycle? If yes, include the name of schools to which you applied and year(s) of application. If accepted/enrolled, indicate dates of enrollment"

How will you answer this question on your AADSAS application and supplementals when they ask you next year? How will you respond to this sort of question on an interview? I imagine schools wont like it that you were accepted and decided not to go..

9. DDSY

DDSY Bright Lights at Night
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If I were in your toes, I would go. However if you are really not into starting dental school this year, then the best option would be a deferral of your admission to next year, if it's available. You will have to give them a reason why you don't want to start this year.

Don't decline your admission, as much as possible.

10. DDSY

DDSY Bright Lights at Night
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yes, you will have to explain this if you decline your admission. Don't know how much it matters, but if it does, it will make your application for next year more difficult.

11. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It would be crazy not to take it.

12. pre-dentalguy

pre-dentalguy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Do the damn thing!!!! Take it and run with it!

13. Sprgrover

Sprgrover Pulped out Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Personally, I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of applying all over again and delay the process of earning your DDS another year. Take the plunge.

14. Lidopaine82

Lidopaine82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    if you don't think you'll like it there then i say wait for your #1. i like Case and i would hate to be stuck somewhere i didn't fit.

15. GRAD

GRAD Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    goooooo

16. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Dental Student
    would you mind telling us what school you are considering?

jb!:)

17. OP
    OP
    ddsplease

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I've been accepted to Detroit Mercy and I was waitlisted at Michigan.

18. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Unless there's a SIGNIFICANT difference in cost (>100k) I would say go ahead and send in your deposit. How much you learn, and how good of a dentist you become is up to you; it doesn't really matter what school you go to.

19. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Take the gauranteed offer instead of rolling the dice.

20. muz

muz Member
    5+ Year Member

what up...i goto Michigan...its amazing here...i graduated in three yeears from undergrad...although i do not regret finishing school early, i sometimes wish that i had taken more general courses...make undergrad more of an experience...i.e. studying abroad, language courses, etc.

Michigan is aMAIZIng...id say go back for your last year...set yourself up for success...apply again...BUT STAY ON THE MICHIGAN waitlist...if u get in come here next year...if u dont, ull most likely get in next cycle...

one of my classmates got in the week b4 school started

21. pmantz

pmantz Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Everytime I see "Am I being Stupid" I want to post yes no matter what.

22. leedizzal

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think you would have to be crazy to turn down an admission there are tons of ppl that would probably pay you a lot of money for that slot if they could...

Um as some have said you get out of it pretty much what you put in I think thats important to remember...

Id Take that acceptance and run with it..... Or mabye ask for a defferal and say you want to finish your undergrad, and if they let you do that then you are assured a seat for nxt yr meantime apply to your number one school again and mabye you will get in, if you do just dont go to the one your accpeted at now... Its a bit underhanded but thats probably what id do....

BUt I wouldent throw away a sure thing...
    Who knows what nxt yr will hold...

23. IheartTeeth

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Dude go to Detroit Mercy...the faculty are wonderful there, and you'll get a much better clinical experience anyways. Think of the patient pool in Detroit versus Ann Arbor. Plus they are moving to a new facility which is going to be sweeeeeet and every person I know that goes there right now absolutely loves it.

24. reapply2007

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I stick with my original advice. If you aren't ready to go to d-school then clear the way for someone who is. You'll make not only yourself but your potential classmates miserable by going somewhere you'd rather not be.

That being said, it's pretty shocking to hear someone say they have only one acceptance and are contemplating turning it down so that they can reapply. While I'm glad I reapplied this year, it has been one of the hardest things I've done. It doesn't follow common sense to give up a sure thing for the possibility of something else. The effort and expense of reapplying are pretty draining.

25. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i think you should go if you have been accepted. like its been said... there is no way to know if you'll be accepted again and the applicant pool is getting better and better each year. if you really are serious about becoming a dentist, then you should go. you should be thankful... there are many SDNers who didnt get acceptances this year and have to reapply. and if you do happen to decide to reapply next year, dont apply to schools that you dont want to attend. best of luck.

26. drcase2011

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think that's a tough call. Definitely stay on the Michigan waitlist and go there if you get in becasue that's a great school. But I think I would go to Detroit Mercy if I were you. An acceptance next year to Michigan is no guarantee. However, considering that you got in after 3 years, you probably are a great candidate so if you think you can get into MI next year, maybe it would be ok to wait.

27. muz

muz Member
    5+ Year Member

its funny how the majority of people from UDM only go there cuz they didnt get into michigan

...but what do i know im from jersey

28. Nasem

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Man, what are you stats like?

29. shamrock2006

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Cant' say I agree w/ ya here buddy. When I was there I talked to fair amount of people who only applied to UDM. Not to say Michigan isn't a good school...I just think, as most have said, Michigan tends to be more "research based"..which is common of very big state schools. And personally, I didn't want to go to Michigan...i've never been that impressed with Ann Arbor...plus i'm an Ohio State fan so it wouldn't be a good fit haha. I just liked UDM b/c it's smaller, the facilities and faculty were nice, they are moving to a sweet new facility at the start of 08, and many of the surrounding areas are very nice places to live. So now, gearing my advice to the OP, give UDM some serious consideration my friend. Many people hear "detroit" and cringe...but it really is an awesome school. Dont take yourself off the waitlist at UofM...but i'd definitely send in that deposit.

30. IheartTeeth

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    yea thats right because I didn't apply to U-M because I would never wanna go there. (PS I think being accepted to 5 other schools says I have the stats to get in)

Lots of people don't like michigan and see UDM as a better school because it would fit us better and would absolutely hate the atmosphere at U-M.

31. OP
    OP
    ddsplease

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

GPA: 3.85 Science GPA: 3.75
    DAT: TS 20 AA 21 PAT 20
    Also tons of shadowing, dental mission in Guyana, paid research for the past 3 years.

32. pmantz

pmantz Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I can see not applying to U of M because it's a "research" school, but does the atmosphere pertain to the actual dental school or Ann Arbor. I would much rather live there then around detroit.

33. IheartTeeth

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Detroit has alot of money for your info...not downtown, but there are some verrrrrry nice suburbs. And the downtown is building some new condos and apartments so it has potential as well. As for the atmosphere...both Ann Arbor and the Campus suck IMO. The only good thing about Ann Arbor is that is has Whole Foods and I love that place. Plus there are so many other reasons why U-M just wouldn't fit me and I would be miserable there. So why apply to a place that I know wouldn't fit my needs. The research aspect is just a part of it....although, I want to have the best clinical skills possible when I get done and not spend my time on research if I don't feel like it. Thats my rambling....

34. Mask667

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Soooo what did u decide?

35. muz

muz Member
    5+ Year Member

is there a reason for u hating michigan soo much?

36. pmantz

pmantz Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm from southearstern MI and know of the wealth that surounds Detroit, and I agree why go to UM when you could go to a better clinical school. I applied to UofD didn't apply to UM. I guess I was expressing my opinion, becuase I love college towns and thats what Ann Arbor is, but only better in my opinion.

37. IheartTeeth

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    yea, i'm from this area, I know the people, I know the town, I know how they do things there and I don't like it. I don't like how they think they are God's gift to everything academics when there are some pretty awesome schools out there. There are so many things I dislike about that school which is why I never applied. I didn't care if they were a state school....I wouldn't be happy there. And I know I'm not the only one to not like them and feel this way.

38. pink-rose57

pink-rose57 undergrad-lad
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    No...just tell them you would rather give the admission to me. I'll take it...:idea:

39. 1predent

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i know how that feels like

40. shabu2

10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    In state and accepted? Think of the wasted year of potential income and your life. Also, who wants to live in Ann Arbor? Take it and get your DDS.

41. I'mFillingFine

I'mFillingFine Pulptastic
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Actually, if the re-applicant was able to explain clearly and sensibly the aspects of a school he/she didn't like, I think that will show a lot of deliberation and priority setting. I think it's perfectly reasonable to list some significant defects, as long as they are significant.

That's my other thought...it depends how much you disliked the school you were accepted to. If you picture yourself being miserable there and think it may ruin the process of earning your DDS/DMD, then don't go. (For me, this would go for something like corrupt administration, poor curriculum, very few clinical requirements to graduate...major stuff like that.) If you are just feeling wishy washy and are waiting for the prince charming of dental schools to come around, you will end up wasting a year or two searching. (Examples would be ugly clinics, not sure about the city [you can make a home for yourself anywhere], first impression of other students [you don't get to meet everyone in the school during an interview])

42. eleminopee

eleminopee I've got 2 infractions!
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    haha that's exactly why I finally read the post. YES:)

43. reapply2007

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I got into my second choice and was rejected from my first choice. Just to feel better, I called the first choice and asked if I should reapply to the first choice. The admissions office said that I should take the sure thing. They also said that unless the application is significantly stronger next year, that I would likely end up rejected again. GL.

44. burton117

burton117 The Big Kahuna
    10+ Year Member

Don't just think of the lost income of the first year out of dental school, think rather of the lost income of your last year as a dentist! :eek: :eek:

45. burton117

burton117 The Big Kahuna
    10+ Year Member

Yes - when do you have to decide by? And if you have already decided what is your decision?

46. pmantz

pmantz Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    What day is it today?

Yeah, go get a guinness.