Am I biting off more than I can chew?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sricha74

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I'm currently planning on taking the MCAT this spring due to the advice of my pre-health counselor. I'm planning on applying to medical school this summer, and hopefully won't have to re-apply. I wish I could take a gap year, however, my sophomore year of college I was diagnosed with a brain tumor that set me back a year and put an ended to my collegiate career (I played football at a Division 1 FCS school) which would make having to take an extra "gap" year a little too much.

Currently my GPA is right around a 3.85. I've been able to handle a heavy schedule and do well academically but I'm worried I may be risking it with having to take the MCAT in May. This is my current schedule for this spring:

-Biochemistry 1
-Animal Physiology
-Genetics
-"Chemistry Writing Seminar"
-Spanish

I work as tutor for my University as well, although I have all the "required classes" for the MCAT (excluding Biochemistry 1 which I'll take this spring) I was advised that taking Genetics and Animal Physiology would be beneficial. Any advice or insight would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I could take a gap year, however, my sophomore year of college I was diagnosed with a brain tumor that set me back a year and put an ended to my collegiate career (I played football at a Division 1 FCS school) which would make having to take an extra "gap" year a little too much.

Are you suggesting that you would rather take a gap year, but can't because you're too old? If that's what you're saying, that's a ridiculous notion with NO basis in fact. If you want a gap year or think your application would be strengthened by taking one, for goodness sake, take the gap year! Don't let you 'advanced' age (what, you're 23?) deter you.

On the other hand, what would the gap year add to your application that is currently weak?

Reactions: 1 user
Can't speak for Animal Physiology (although maybe that might help with some bio) but Genetics was super helpful. Material-wise there wasn't that much on the outline that I studied from in 2015, but the class itself was helpful because it taught me to close-read for science questions, which we had to because our exams were pretty long and we had to get through them as quickly as possible. Biochem did that for me too though...

I will say that your schedule is science-heavy , but your credit load makes studying do-able. Not sure what other activities you are doing other than tutoring but otherwise looks okay to me.

EDIT: I do need to add a disclaimer that while you can study with classes for the MCAT, it is *much* harder, speaking from experience (also taking Genetics while studying) and people on this forum. Be sure to get adequate practice with prep questions/tests!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldnt do this schedule because studying for the MCAT is a major time killer, but then sometimes even when I set aside productive time I still end up procrastinating. IMHO taking the MCAT after a summer is the best plan but it doesnt seem you want to be doing that.

This schedule isn't that hard on its own. But if you are on a serious schedule for the MCAT you may want to reconsider.

I take 5 classes all sciences with tutoring as well, but I wasn't doing MCAT studying.

if anything it will be good prep for med school. you can do it!

It will be good prep, but that being said you don't want to overload yourself too much. My habits and abilities greatly improved over undergrad and I wouldn't have been capable of too much early in my career