Am I competitive enough for this? Help appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreakinOutMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be honest from the start...

Family Medicine wasn't what I wanted graduating from Med school as an IMG. Fam med physicians at my home country didn't have to go through residency, went straight from med school, didn't really earn that much, and their care wasn't really up to standard.

However, moving to the US, I couldn't be so wrong, Fam med physicians here are knowledgeable and way more professional, they also earn a decent living too.

US IMG, YOG 2017
Step 1 - 205
Step 2ck - 234
Step 2 cs - Pass
Step 3 - 223

1 Year of prelim Surg thats going to end this june.
No prior Fam med research or observerships, got research in cardio, LORs from a cardiologist, ER Doc, and a hospitalist, even one from my current program director. (All US board certified)

I know, you'll be looking at my credentials and say hey, this dude only wants Fam med because of his low step 1, well thats party true, however I think I'd really enjoy family medicine, I'd enjoy the lifestyle, and enjoy working as one. If I would go back in time, I probably shouldve just went with Family medicine and I wouldve been perfectly happy about it!

My question to whoever is reading this is, 1) Are my scores competitive enough to get interviews , I've applied to over 100 programs (IM/surg) for two cycles, and it feels like I'm throwing my money away and I dont really want to do that again.

2) What can I do to strengthen my CV for family med as it looks like I'm all over the place
3) Should I apply to the 2019/20 Cycle, or do research/observership for a year and apply 20/21?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1) I have a nearly identical profile minus step 3 and matched with 19 interviews. My application was geared towards FM (LORs, electives in M4, Personal Statement). Convince them you want FM and apply broadly. Good luck.
2) Gear your application to show an interest in the field
3) Research means little to nothing for most programs unless you're going the academic route. Observerships could help get LORs or make inroads at programs.