Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some general advice on my situation. Any constructive advice is most welcome. Thank you!

My Stats:

B.S. in Biology
Certificate (Minor) in Classical and Near Eastern Studies
Overall GPA 3.50
Undergraduate Science GPA: 2.88 (This is overall low because I transferred from another institution after doing very poorly my freshman year).
Graduate Certificate in Medical Physiology (Will be complete in May 2019, I'm assuming that I will get straight A's, based on how this semester is going so far).
MCAT: 503 (CARS 125, CHEM/PHY 125, BIO 126, PSYCH/SOC 127).
Have shadowed 2 DO physicians (working on shadowing #3), and have received a letter of recommendation from one.
Some clinical and non-clinical volunteer experience.

I recognize that my Undergraduate Science GPA is rather low, this is because I did quite poorly as an original Physics major my freshman year (7 years ago). This is the greatest weakness of my application, but I think that my grades in the last two years much better reflect my overall academics. I've received straight A's in the last 2 years of my undergrad.

I've applied to many DO schools last fall and while I've gotten some rejection letters, I haven't heard back from the majority of them. I know it's very arbitrary, but do you think I will get any interview requests within the next couple of months? I've been accepted into a Post Bach MMS degree with a conditional acceptance into the DO program for this fall, but I haven't heard the best reviews about the school. I'm considering applying to another DO school this May (for the Fall 2020 class), once my new grades will be entered. I figure that it can't hurt, since either way, I would likely hear back about my application, either way before the Post Bach would start. Do you think this is a wise decision?
If you have not received any interview invitations this year, it seems unlikely that you will receive more than 1 or 2 in the next couple of months. Most schools have likely already sent out all of their interview invitations.

I would suggest that you do your best in whatever post-baccalaureate program you choose, as your science grades are likely what is keeping you from getting interviews, and they probably need to be improved prior to your having a chance of acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.