Am I competitive for UNC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Football823

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if I would be competitive enough for UNC. I am a PA resident.
Major: Biochemistry Minor: Finance
GPA:3.88
sGPA:3.82
AA: 24
TS:26
BIO: 25
GQ:24
OC:30
RC:21
QR:19
PAT:20
My extra-curricular activities are nothing very special (intramurals, clubs)
-I have been working as a server/cook for 5 years at Red Lobster
~100 shadowing hours
Committee letter that includes 3 science professors, my pre-health advisor, 1 non-science, and preceptor
- I have not applied yet, so I am relatively late. However, I was hoping for some feedback before I spend more money on applications.
Currently applied to: UF, Temple, Pitt, Maryland, Tufts,
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
UNC and UF are very OOS unfriendly, but your stats are great so I think you have as good of a shot as anyone at getting in. You shouldn't have much trouble getting acceptances to the other schools on your list.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi I was wondering if I would be competitive enough for UNC. I am a PA resident.
~100 shadowing hours
Committee letter that includes 3 science professors, my pre-health advisor, 1 non-science, and preceptor
- I have not applied yet, so I am relatively late. However, I was hoping for some feedback before I spend more money on applications.
Thanks

OOS has an element of randomness to it. You have wonderful stats though, you have just as good of a chance as any.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
You are definitely competitive, just try to get your app and supplemental in as soon as possible as they are currently reviewing apps for first batch September 9th interview

Strong DAT and GPA so I think you've definitely got a shot. They're highly selective about their OOS invites and acceptances, but I wouldn't let that stop you from applying.

Reactions: 1 user
I figured the out of state was going to make it difficult that's why I wanted second opinions. I'll give it a shot thanks guys!

~100 shadowing hours
Thanks
Yep

~100 shadowing hours
Thanks
Why didn't you apply to Ohio State? They're right next door. And if I remember correctly, they're pretty OOS friendly, much more so than UNC or Florida.

Big Hoss

Why didn't you apply to Ohio State? They're right next door. And if I remember correctly, they're pretty OOS friendly, much more so than UNC or Florida.

Big Hoss
My family lives in Florida they moved while I was in high school but I stayed to finish my education. That is why I applied to UF and UNC I like the area and the school itself, so I figured if I was going to apply to 2 OOS those would be my choices.

My family lives in Florida they moved while I was in high school but I stayed to finish my education. That is why I applied to UF and UNC I like the area and the school itself, so I figured if I was going to apply to 2 OOS those would be my choices.

If your parents are living in florida, you MAY qualify as in-state. It's different for every state but give them a call and ask

If you're still financially dependent on your parents, you could probably make the claim that your permanent residence is in Florida assuming they've lived there for more than a year

I wasn't sure how that was going to work because I am still financially dependent on them. However, I have a PA license.

I would say your stats are competitive! But I would go ahead and advise you to work on UNC's online supplemental application ASAP after you submit your AADSAS. That thing is a beast.