Am I competitive for urology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blindside

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for your thoughts on my chances to match urology.

I'm a M3 DO student, scored 240 on step. I've got 3 patents, 4 publications, and 10 abstracts/oral presentations (not uro).
I plan on doing 3 sub-I's and just received a great LOR. As a DO I understand its an uphill battle but there are some AOA programs out there and also ACGME programs with a history of taking DO's.

Thanks for any thoughts/advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes. It is an uphill battle, but you will be competitive from my perspective. I'm OMS4 going through the application/interview process right now, so keep that in mind. I'm certainly no expert. People are getting interviews with comparable stats to you, so I think you have a decent chance. Feel free to PM if I can help.

Yes. It is an uphill battle, but you will be competitive from my perspective. I'm OMS4 going through the application/interview process right now, so keep that in mind. I'm certainly no expert. People are getting interviews with comparable stats to you, so I think you have a decent chance. Feel free to PM if I can help.

Yea it will be tough for any DO applicant and will get increasingly harder as key programs like cook county and einstein have taken less DO's in recent years. Thanks for the feedback, PM'ed

Members don't see this ad :)
Do your away rotations at places where you stand a decent shot at matching. Then impress the heck out of 'em.

Good luck to you!

Do your away rotations at places where you stand a decent shot at matching. Then impress the heck out of 'em.

Good luck to you!

This.

Still a very uphill battle to match to ACGME program from DO school. Best shot is probably AOA. Would explore locations that are DO friendly. I don't know where thos are but your home faculty may be able to help.

Would recommend doing rotations at both DO and MD sites. Look at programs that have taken DOs in the past. This might require you do 4-5 rotations total, not the average 2-3. A lot of DO sites allow for 2 week rotations. Get well rounded LORs.