Am I considering dentistry for the right reasons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

L8rg8r

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
To keep things short, I have already made up my mind long ago that I want to work in healthcare. 5 years as an EMT have confirmed this for me and I do not see myself working in any other field. While asking for a LoR, a professor informed me that he can either write a letter for medical school or dental school, but not both because it does not show commitment on my side. I have always thought about going to medical school but I am wondering if I am considering dental for the wrong reasons, which are:

1. Autonomy and being able to own your own business. Obviously this is possible in medicine as well, but it is available to a greater degree in dentistry.

2. Providing medical care with my hands. I have much respect for anyone who does so with their brain, but I enjoy working with my hands more.

3. Being able to provide solutions and remedy problems in a relatively short period of time compared to physicians, as well as less direct responsibility for the lives of patients is more appealing to me.

4. All the bureaucracy that exists in the physician world where you are basically nothing unless you are an attending. This often involves residents keeping quiet while they are abused by their programs. Maybe this is the case of "grass is greener."

5. Concern for the future of physician care being dictated by insurance companies and hospitals. Many older doctors I know always say "medicine isn't what it used to be, and if I could do it over again I would choose a different career path."

6. Midlevel creep by PAs and NPs.

All in all, I feel like there is a lot of BS involved in the world of physicians so being a dentist seems that it is more "independent" if that makes sense.

If I am delusional please call me out. I would also appreciate any input on what made you consider dentistry as opposed to medicine if you ever thought about that. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that these are all completely valid reasons to be interested in the field of dentistry. I bet if you asked a lot of dentists why they chose dentistry, you'd find a lot of similar answers.

Some of your concerns about medicine also apply to dentistry. Insurance is tough to deal with, and not everyone can run a fee for service practice. Dental therapists are the new PAs of the dental field. But overall I would agree that dentistry gives practitioners more autonomy.

Many of us chose dentistry for the same reasons you’ve listed. Dentists are not as independent of insurance as we used to be so that might not be a factor by the time you’re practicing and transitioning to ownership.

Physicians still maintain some autonomy and the early years of being an associate dentist can be quite the opposite of being a physician in residency...meaning - you’re not a doctor either and you’re not necessarily treated like one by your employer or your patients.

There are no shortcuts in either profession.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless your a mechanic or assembly/line worker at a factory you absolutely know nothing about what it means to work with your hands everyday. My advice make money with your brain over your hands.

^Top 10 reasons to be a dentist according to the ADA. I think yours are great. A lot of us (most?) chose dentistry for similar reasons.

For most fields in the healthcare industry, be prepared to work harder for less pay as well as accumulating unsustainable to insane student loans. It's unusual to hear about "starving dentist" but you will encounter plenty of struggling and burnt out dentists. One example of BS dentist will encounter if he or she accepts insurance is that you will produce reasonable work to only get notified few months later the insurance will not pay. If you are not committed to dental or medical, consider Physical Therapy. I may be naive but almost all of them seem very happy and not stressed out. However, I heard their schools are harder to get in than dental or medical and I'm not sure what their tuition is like.

For most fields in the healthcare industry, be prepared to work harder for less pay as well as accumulating unsustainable to insane student loans. It's unusual to hear about "starving dentist" but you will encounter plenty of struggling and burnt out dentists. One example of BS dentist will encounter if he or she accepts insurance is that you will produce reasonable work to only get notified few months later the insurance will not pay. If you are not committed to dental or medical, consider Physical Therapy. I may be naive but almost all of them seem very happy and not stressed out. However, I heard their schools are harder to get in than dental or medical and I'm not sure what their tuition is like.
Physical therapy is way more demanding physically of your body than dentistry. You’re just asking for aches and pains. Plus all these kids want to be a “real doctor” so that won’t happen in a million years.

I originally was pre-med in undergrad. Then I came to the realization that I did not want to deal with life and death situations (you mentioned this also). Therefore I went into dentistry and ultimately orthodontics for the better lifestyle: ownership potential, less hassle, better hours, less emergencies, etc. etc. Again .... you mentioned these points in your post and these are undeniable advantages for dentistry over medicine.
Not once did I think about using "my hands" vs my "brain" when it came to my decision to be a dentist. You need BOTH. Really.
As for the future of medicine and dentistry re: socialized medicine/dentistry. Your guess is as good as mine. I don't know.

My biggest complaint with dentistry is that it is no longer a profession, but a commodity. Probably can blame the ins. companies for this. But the blame also rests with how dentists have marketed their practices. Patients will often "price shop" their dental care. "Hey Doc. How much for a set of braces?" "Thousand off Invisalign today" "Black friday braces for $2500" "$99/mos for Braces" "Free bleaching for life" $10 exam and cleaning. Free consultations. Groupon deals. Internet deals. Etc. Etc. Dentistry is a commodity. Just like optometry.

Medicine. Not so much. Medicine is still mostly a profession rather than a commodity. If you schedule an appt to see your Dr. ... there will be a consultation fee. You expect this. Need Gallbladder surgery? Are you going to look for a sign outside of a hospital with $1000 off Gallbladder surgery ... today only?

Bottom line. Medicine is still mostly a profession. Dentistry is about selling procedures. Both have their issues. I obviously chose dentistry.
Mostly ... I cannot complain. Dentistry (ortho) has provided well for myself and my family.

Physical therapy is way more demanding physically of your body than dentistry. You’re just asking for aches and pains. Plus all these kids want to be a “real doctor” so that won’t happen in a million years.

I'm sure you are right because most of PTs I've encountered (about a dozen) are physically fit with the exception of a guy who looked like the average late 50's. My last PT encounter was a thin young lady who doesn't have the frame for heavy lifting. PT's may not make as much as dentists but appeared to have a nice quality of life.

I originally was pre-med in undergrad. Then I came to the realization that I did not want to deal with life and death situations (you mentioned this also). Therefore I went into dentistry and ultimately orthodontics for the better lifestyle: ownership potential, less hassle, better hours, less emergencies, etc. etc. Again .... you mentioned these points in your post and these are undeniable advantages for dentistry over medicine.
Not once did I think about using "my hands" vs my "brain" when it came to my decision to be a dentist. You need BOTH. Really.
As for the future of medicine and dentistry re: socialized medicine/dentistry. Your guess is as good as mine. I don't know.

My biggest complaint with dentistry is that it is no longer a profession, but a commodity. Probably can blame the ins. companies for this. But the blame also rests with how dentists have marketed their practices. Patients will often "price shop" their dental care. "Hey Doc. How much for a set of braces?" "Thousand off Invisalign today" "Black friday braces for $2500" "$99/mos for Braces" "Free bleaching for life" $10 exam and cleaning. Free consultations. Groupon deals. Internet deals. Etc. Etc. Dentistry is a commodity. Just like optometry.

Medicine. Not so much. Medicine is still mostly a profession rather than a commodity. If you schedule an appt to see your Dr. ... there will be a consultation fee. You expect this. Need Gallbladder surgery? Are you going to look for a sign outside of a hospital with $1000 off Gallbladder surgery ... today only?

Bottom line. Medicine is still mostly a profession. Dentistry is about selling procedures. Both have their issues. I obviously chose dentistry.
Mostly ... I cannot complain. Dentistry (ortho) has provided well for myself and my family.

Thank you for your well-thought out reply as a practitioner!

What was your experience in orthodontic residency after finishing dental school? Did you thoroughly enjoy all aspects of it, or did you think there was a lot of bureaucracy and kissing ass like there is in medical residencies? What were the hours like?

In regards to your last line, when you say "mostly" you cannot complain, what are some issues in dentistry that lead to dissatisfaction?

To keep things short, I have already made up my mind long ago that I want to work in healthcare. 5 years as an EMT have confirmed this for me and I do not see myself working in any other field. While asking for a LoR, a professor informed me that he can either write a letter for medical school or dental school, but not both because it does not show commitment on my side. I have always thought about going to medical school but I am wondering if I am considering dental for the wrong reasons, which are:

1. Autonomy and being able to own your own business. Obviously this is possible in medicine as well, but it is available to a greater degree in dentistry.

2. Providing medical care with my hands. I have much respect for anyone who does so with their brain, but I enjoy working with my hands more.

3. Being able to provide solutions and remedy problems in a relatively short period of time compared to physicians, as well as less direct responsibility for the lives of patients is more appealing to me.

4. All the bureaucracy that exists in the physician world where you are basically nothing unless you are an attending. This often involves residents keeping quiet while they are abused by their programs. Maybe this is the case of "grass is greener."

5. Concern for the future of physician care being dictated by insurance companies and hospitals. Many older doctors I know always say "medicine isn't what it used to be, and if I could do it over again I would choose a different career path."

6. Midlevel creep by PAs and NPs.

All in all, I feel like there is a lot of BS involved in the world of physicians so being a dentist seems that it is more "independent" if that makes sense.

If I am delusional please call me out. I would also appreciate any input on what made you consider dentistry as opposed to medicine if you ever thought about that. Thank you!

There is a similar midlevel creep in dentistry emerging. Look up “dental therapist”. Dental therapists are mostly present in rural states whose population demonstrates a major lack of access to dental care, like Alaska, Idaho etc. States decide what procedures they are allowed to do, it varies state by state. Not sure at this point whether this role will catch on across the rest of the states. It’s a contentious issue.

I did a semester of dental school but had to withdraw due to health issues. I decided not to go back when I recovered because I realized that it was just a mistake; dishonest students, obnoxious professors, and I disliked the work. Most of the students I met in dental school didn't go into it because they "loved dentistry." Rather, it was concomitant reasons ("physicians hate their lives," and so forth). I am honestly not surprised by the dentist suicide rate.

I did a semester of dental school but had to withdraw due to health issues. I decided not to go back when I recovered because I realized that it was just a mistake; dishonest students, obnoxious professors, and I disliked the work. Most of the students I met in dental school didn't go into it because they "loved dentistry." Rather, it was concomitant reasons ("physicians hate their lives," and so forth). I am honestly not surprised by the dentist suicide rate.
What are you doing now? Just curious

Members don't see this ad :)
I am honestly not surprised by the dentist suicide rate.

Wasn't that shown to be a myth?

I'm guessing the rising debt burden is definitely gonna impact that number unfortunately

Wasn't that shown to be a myth?

I'm guessing the rising debt burden is definitely gonna impact that number unfortunately

There is some research that supports it.

"A great deal of research suggests that suicide has plagued the dental profession more than any other. A November 2011 article from the Journal of Affective Disorders found that the risk of suicide is increased among health professionals and dentists held the highest suicide rate at 7.18 percent for men and women combined. The national average for men and women was reported as 0.42 percent. Male dentists hold the highest suicide rate at 8.02 percent. Female dentists hold the fourth highest suicide rate at 5.28 percent."

• Wow
There is some research that supports it.

"A great deal of research suggests that suicide has plagued the dental profession more than any other. A November 2011 article from the Journal of Affective Disorders found that the risk of suicide is increased among health professionals and dentists held the highest suicide rate at 7.18 percent for men and women combined. The national average for men and women was reported as 0.42 percent. Male dentists hold the highest suicide rate at 8.02 percent. Female dentists hold the fourth highest suicide rate at 5.28 percent."

Am I interpreting this wrong or is this data completely wrong? There's no way 7% of dentists commit suicide. And there's no way dentists commit suicide at 17X the rate of the rest of the population. That doesn't even make sense tbh

I feel like it's possible for dentist suicide rates to be marginally higher than the general population, since dentists have higher stress jobs, more debt, and easier access to drugs. However 17 times higher? Hell naahhh

Seriously people, raise your hand if you personally know a dentist that has committed suicide.

Above all you need to have a passion for teeth. You need to think about them at least 6 times a day and wear a tooth necklace at your interviews.

There may be incidences where the dentists and physicians are abusing substances. There may be a correlation with substance abuse, mental illness, and suicide rates.

I had a colleague who had a skiing accident and severely injured his dominant left shoulder. Months after the injury, he was telling me he has severe pain that kept him up all night. His physician refused to prescribe him opioids. Severe pain can force you to do anything to relieve it. He eventually recovered but had heart issues and had to quit.

Am I interpreting this wrong or is this data completely wrong? There's no way 7% of dentists commit suicide. And there's no way dentists commit suicide at 17X the rate of the rest of the population. That doesn't even make sense tbh

I feel like it's possible for dentist suicide rates to be marginally higher than the general population, since dentists have higher stress jobs, more debt, and easier access to drugs. However 17 times higher? Hell naahhh

I believe it.

"I then ask him if he'd ever known anyone in his profession who died by suicide.

'Three,' he responds."

And

"Of the ten dentists I interviewed for this article, eight of them knew someone from their profession who had died by suicide."

I want to get a PhD in biology.

There are articles about the mental health crisis with grad students too. The bottom line of that Vice article is that “maybe” dentists have a higher suicide rate, but there is no way to really know as there are numerous confounding variables. Yes dentistry is a stressful profession but so is nearly any job that requires a professional degree.

Choose something because you love it. If every profession were to only make $30k a year what would you do? That is how I view it.

Choose something because you love it. If every profession were to only make $30k a year what would you do? That is how I view it.
^ How can you know you "love" dentistry if you've never actually worked as a dentist? If every profession were to only make 30k a year I'm pretty sure most would be lazy AF and look for the easiest possible job or be on welfare or something. Dentistry isn't easy. There's a reason why pay varies on the job being done, that's capitalism.

Reactions: 3 users
^ How can you know you "love" dentistry if you've never actually worked as a dentist? If every profession were to only make 30k a year I'm pretty sure most would be lazy AF and look for the easiest possible job or be on welfare or something. Dentistry isn't easy. There's a reason why pay varies on the job being done, that's capitalism.

Look at your hobbies and what you enjoy doing. Do you do woodworking, welding, painting.. something with your freaking hands for fun? You will like dentistry then in my humble opinion. If you are a lazy SOB but don't mind being told what to do, then it might not be for you. Just my opinion with various observations. The best dentist I know was making furniture as a hobby before school... to each their own. If you are simply chasing money then you will never be satisfied PERIOD.

Reactions: 1 users
Look at your hobbies and what you enjoy doing. Do you do woodworking, welding, painting.. something with your freaking hands for fun? You will like dentistry then in my humble opinion. If you are a lazy SOB but don't mind being told what to do, then it might not be for you. Just my opinion with various observations. The best dentist I know was making furniture as a hobby before school... to each their own. If you are simply chasing money then you will never be satisfied PERIOD.
I agree with you there for sure. I just want to emphasize that even if you meet the above criteria, you may not “love” it all the time. It still is like any job and will have it’s difficult/frustrating aspects, probably more than most, hence the higher pay.

I agree with you there for sure. I just want to emphasize that even if you meet the above criteria, you may not “love” it all the time. It still is like any job and will have it’s difficult/frustrating aspects, probably more than most, hence the higher pay.

Preach. Great additional comment. It is a JOB. But like I mentioned, there are easier ways to make money.