Am I crazy for wanting to leave industry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

alwayspharming

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I've been lurking on this forum for quite a few years now and am now at a crossroads.

I currently work as a consultant/contractor for a major pharma company but have been feeling unfulfilled. It's good experience and my team is amazing but I don't think it's really for me. The perks and work life balance are amazing (ie: wfh, I get to manage my work on my own schedule, and work with extremely distinguished professionals). Unfortunately, I feel like I'm squandering this opportunity since there are plenty of people out there who'd love to take my spot and be happy. It's not what I thought it'd be and I miss feeling like an actual pharmacist.

I'm in my mid twenties and am trying to shake this feeling of uncertainty. Most of the people I've talked to suggest switching into a different department that will help satisfy my clinical itch but I can't help but think it won't be much different. My ultimate career goal is to precept students/be adjunct faculty and teach while serving as a specialty pharmacist (dreaming big, I know). With that in mind, industry isn't the environment to offer these opportunities so I wonder why I'm still here.

I've been out of school for a couple of years but my work history is a little jumbled and I fear coming off as a job hopper. In school, I was an intern in nuclear for a couple years with some intermittent retail. After graduation, I took a job at a major retail chain and a per diem staffing position at a hospital. The hospital position lasted 6 months due to the inconsistency and unavailability from my retail hours. At the same time, I also taught pharmacy basics to other occupational fields once or twice a semester for a year and a half.

What are the chances that I can make the jump back over (non retail)? It doesn't help that my home area is one of the most saturated states in the country (Boston).

Apologies for the long post but any insight is appreciated.
 
Hi all,

I've been lurking on this forum for quite a few years now and am now at a crossroads.

I currently work as a consultant/contractor for a major pharma company but have been feeling unfulfilled. It's good experience and my team is amazing but I don't think it's really for me. The perks and work life balance are amazing (ie: wfh, I get to manage my work on my own schedule, and work with extremely distinguished professionals). Unfortunately, I feel like I'm squandering this opportunity since there are plenty of people out there who'd love to take my spot and be happy. It's not what I thought it'd be and I miss feeling like an actual pharmacist.

I'm in my mid twenties and am trying to shake this feeling of uncertainty. Most of the people I've talked to suggest switching into a different department that will help satisfy my clinical itch but I can't help but think it won't be much different. My ultimate career goal is to precept students/be adjunct faculty and teach while serving as a specialty pharmacist (dreaming big, I know). With that in mind, industry isn't the environment to offer these opportunities so I wonder why I'm still here.

I've been out of school for a couple of years but my work history is a little jumbled and I fear coming off as a job hopper. In school, I was an intern in nuclear for a couple years with some intermittent retail. After graduation, I took a job at a major retail chain and a per diem staffing position at a hospital. The hospital position lasted 6 months due to the inconsistency and unavailability from my retail hours. At the same time, I also taught pharmacy basics to other occupational fields once or twice a semester for a year and a half.

What are the chances that I can make the jump back over (non retail)? It doesn't help that my home area is one of the most saturated states in the country (Boston).

Apologies for the long post but any insight is appreciated.

Unfortunately...this is a personality issue. It means you are probably a type-A/B individual who wants to be competitive and fuel that fire inside you....but you're also risk-adversed. There is no external resolution to this internal problem. As I see it, you obviously have 2 choices:

1. Accept this and retire on this gig. It is a good job. Excellent work-life balance. Use your spare time to pursue other things that can fuel the fire. I had a friend who quit Goldman Sachs to work at another job because it was stressing him out so much with the hours that they require. Yet, he is kinda unhappy in his new place because he misses working with the brightest people at Goldman, the energy, and the environment.
Most people will stick with this option, and there is nothing wrong with that. Try to satisfy your other inner desire by doing something outside of work.

2. Take the plunge and switch things up by moving into another department or getting another job. High risk...high rewards of resolving your internal issue. The 80-20 rule of life and statistics. You have 80% chance of losing...of going out there and finding nothing...but there is a small chance...20% that you will find what you are looking for...that completes you and make you whole again. Of course...this is "the road less traveled."

Disclaimer: I took a course in psychology 10 years ago.lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not to sound harsh but this sounds like an internal Dilemma to me that isn't going to be solved by an external change. The worst thing you could do is make a change to what you think a real pharmacist is only to find out you hate it. I agree with getting a PRN gig just to make sure you would even like a different environment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile
 
Hm, I never thought of it as an internal dilemma vs. External so that is interesting to think about. I started doing per diem at my old retail place and it's helped, aside from the incredibly hectic work environment due to staffing issues. Glad I am not full time there, though.
 
Hm, I never thought of it as an internal dilemma vs. External so that is interesting to think about. I started doing per diem at my old retail place and it's helped, aside from the incredibly hectic work environment due to staffing issues. Glad I am not full time there, though.

I was the in the same boat as you and also picked up a per diem in retail. It's fun for 4 hours and then nope 🙂 Made me more content with my FTE somewhere else in a different field!
 
I agree with everyone else. The grass just seems greener on the other side. The PRN job is the way to go.
Why dont you get in touch with the pharmacy schools nearby and see if you can sign on as a preceptor? Ive heard its a pretty easy process. Most pharmacy schools have limited industry sites for their APPES, so Im sure they would love to have you.
 
Hm, I never thought of it as an internal dilemma vs. External so that is interesting to think about. I started doing per diem at my old retail place and it's helped, aside from the incredibly hectic work environment due to staffing issues. Glad I am not full time there, though.

Hospitals nowadays also have "incredibly hectic work environments due to staffing issues", so consider that as well if you want to switch. Would you be OK with forgoing lunches and breaks in order to have a more clinical job? Also, to get a more clinical position, you likely have to do residency nowadays. Are you OK with taking that kind of pay cut for a year?

I agree, stay at your current job, and just sign up with your local pharmacy school as a preceptor. Also see if there are any industry electives for which you could be a guest lecturer.
 
Would you be OK with forgoing lunches and breaks in order to have a more clinical job?

That's a good point. When I worked clinical shifts it was not uncommon to skip lunch or stay late if it was a hectic day. At least I always took my lunch while staffing.