Am I Crazy?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twelveyrs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
30 yr old non-trad. Been in corporate America, (nothing related to medicine) for 8 years working for "the man" and also owning my own business and have been considering a change for a while now. I have 111 credit hrs from a state university which means that yes, I never officially graduated. I am 9 hrs short of my business degree from 8 years ago. The biggest problem that I see for my chances is the fact that my undergrad gpa for these 111 hrs is 2.8. However, included in this is only one science course (geology) which I received and A in the lab and a B in the class. I also have one semester of calc (B) and one semester of stats (B). After researching the site it seems that my only real option is finishing my 9 hrs to get my bac degree and simultaneously do informal post bac route since I don't have the undergrad degree yet and my gpa is below 3.0. So the question is, assuming I go back and get my business degree and approx. 40-50 hrs of science prereqs, do I have shot with a projected overall gpa slightly over 3.0 and a science gpa of 3.6+? Will the fact that I never graduated 8 yrs ago hurt my chances? Is this a total waste of time and money for me, my wife, and children or should I follow my dream? I appreciate all the guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

See "Low GPA success stories" in the NonTraditional Forum (top sticky).

Yes, you could eventually make it into a med school despite your low GPA, and seeing how others did it might help you create a definitive plan. Key will be the clear demarcation in time between the old underperforming you and the new uber achieving you. Once you have a workable plan, decide with your family if the time and expense are worth it to all of you.

here's what i would do. save money up, devote a semester to science classes. take chem, bio, physics. see if you're good at it and enjoy it, or if it's feasible for you to do well. then ask yourself this question again. if you are even 90% certain you want medicine, then go with your gut and apply for a postbac.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've signed up for chem and bio over the summer thinking it would be a good way to get my feet wet. If I get A's and enjoy the 11 week courses, I will continue on in the fall. I also plan on starting w/ some volunteer work in a hospital asap. Not sure what I'm getting myself into but...

Also, all the research I've done to date shows that I will not be able to get into a formal postbac since my cGPA will still be under 3.0. After raising it over 3.0, a postbac wouldn't make since because I would have finished the majority of the classes offered in a formal postbac program. Is this correct?